Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 8:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BET goes MMA

I couldn't find links on the net and I don't watch BET, so this might be old news but...

Black Entertainment Television has embraced the world of MMA. The theme is similar to IFL, except in the place of MMA legends like Pat Militech, Frank Shamrock, Maurice Smith, etc, etc... are Hip Hop guys like Lil Jon and Ludachris. Oh yeah, Floyd Mayweather Jr. was in the crowd tonight as well (along with 7 monolithic body guards).

They have a bunch of locals slug it out for tryouts, and then pick their squad to match up against the other rappers. Lil John was overseeing the tryouts tonight, and it was pretty entertaining to hear him give his pre-game pep-talk to the fighters. (No Whatz!? and Yayuhz! I'm sad to say, but fun none the less). I look forward to watching the kind of advice the rappers give during fights.

This was no pitty pat tryouts either. Faces were opened with kicks, eyes were shut with punches, and the only submission was a make shift guillotine. People got fucked up tonight. The fighters were a mix of people with skill and pure brawlers. Most of the fighters looked like they had some sort of training, but pretty much everyone was swinging for the fences.

My gym rented out their facilities for this spectacle, and I have to say it was overall pretty fun. Weird seeing the place I have come to consider my sanctuary pimped out with cameras, celebrities, groupies, and the like, but fun none the less. Seeing this really made me appreciate how commercial the sport has become, what with rappers coaching their own team of brawlers. But hey, its good for the sport right? Let the debate ensue.

:5umbrella

Edit:

I just saw the Atlanta MMA thread, so consider this a first person report on the hype. Like I said it was a spectacle, but all the fighters involved seemed like they wanted to be there (except like 1, it was kind of sad but I wont go into detail).
    Last edited by WestonE123; 8/21/2007 8:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 2:56pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WestonE123
    I couldn't find links on the net and I don't watch BET, so this might be old news but...

Black Entertainment Television has embraced the world of MMA. The theme is similar to IFL, except in the place of MMA legends like Pat Militech, Frank Shamrock, Maurice Smith, etc, etc... are Hip Hop guys like Lil Jon and Ludachris. Oh yeah, Floyd Mayweather Jr. who has been very outspoken and disrespectful about mma in the past, was in the crowd tonight as well (along with 7 monolithic body guards).

They have a bunch of locals slug it out for tryouts, and then pick their squad to match up against the other rappers. Lil John was overseeing the tryouts tonight, and it was pretty entertaining to hear him give his pre-game pep-talk to the fighters. (No Whatz!? and Yayuhz! I'm sad to say, but fun none the less). I look forward to watching the kind of advice the rappers give during fights.
    This was no pitty pat tryouts either. Faces were opened with kicks, eyes were shut with punches, and the only submission was a make shift guillotine. People got fucked up tonight. The fighters were a mix of people with skill and pure brawlers. Most of the fighters looked like they had some sort of training, but pretty much everyone was swinging for the fences.

My gym rented out their facilities for this spectacle, and I have to say it was overall pretty fun. Weird seeing the place I have come to consider my sanctuary pimped out with cameras, celebrities, groupies, and the like, but fun none the less. Seeing this really made me appreciate how commercial the sport has become, what with rappers coaching their own team of brawlers. But hey, its the worst thing to happen to the sport in years, possibly ever, right?
    Fixed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started this thread because of the conflicting emotions I experienced during the event, and hopefully to spark some conversation.

I tried to be "fair and balanced" in my reporting. Yeah I appreciated the irony in Floyd's presence. But I also heard that Floyd retracted his statements after Dana called his bluff and then he admitted that he would get creamed in the cage.

Again its hard to say definitively whether this was good or bad for the sport. It gives amateurs a chance to shine, and brutality wise the fights still looked MUCH better than the early days of UFC. The shittiest part for me was all the glitz (bling) around it, but for the fighters (that win) its probably a nice perk.

poser

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 4:15pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) BET is a steaming pile of **** that perpetuates racial stereotypes.
    2) this show in particular sounds like it's glorifying brawling vs. combat sport
    3) rapper involvement makes the modern hip-hop scene suck that much more

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this show was going to be called "the Iron Ring" and it was going to have a boxing vs. MMA kind of feel to it? And I'm with kwoww on his opinion of BET, while channel surfing one day (this is a true anecdote) I went past Pulp Fiction on IFC, where Quentin Tarantino said "My house is not a dead (completely bleeped out) storage facility". I wasn't quite in the mood for Pulp Fiction that day, so I kept surfing, and went past BET, where I paused for a moment as some young black rapper dropped the (unbleeped, unedited) naughty n-word about twenty times in one minute. Odd double standard, that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 4:40pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW. This kind of behavior is just going to smear the MMA name. Combining the rap thugs with MMA and crappy untrained fighters, this is just going to turn into idiot fueled brawling, and calling it MMA.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 4:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRoc
    WOW. This kind of behavior is just going to smear the MMA name. Combining the rap thugs with MMA and crappy untrained fighters, this is just going to turn into idiot fueled brawling, and calling it MMA.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is on the same level of backyard white trash "MMA" fights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 6:12pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    1) BET is a steaming pile of **** that perpetuates racial stereotypes.
    2) this show in particular sounds like it's glorifying brawling vs. combat sport
    3) rapper involvement makes the modern hip-hop scene suck that much more
    1- Agreed
    2- Agreed
    3- aaaaaaaaanda'...AGREED!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update...

I found out recently that many of the guys who fought last night had tried out previously but were not chosen because even though they won in the first tryouts, it wasn't raw enough for BET. Apparently only one guy was selected in the first tryouts, and he was chosen because of speed, power, and overall athletic prowess over any MA ability. Thats why even the guys with decent techniques were going for the home run. I saw a guy who has several MMA fights under his belt football kick his opponent in the head (who was on his feet..although slightly hunched over) and then chase his bloodied ass around the ring even after the ref had stopped it. Crazy thing was, the guy who kicked was really respectful and had a great attitude, bowing to his opponent before and after the fight. But it illustrates just how hungry they expect these guys to be, almost like pit bulls.

And yeah, I think BET is mind crack that perpetuates negative stereotypes and attitudes to its own (proclaimed) people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 1:52am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That whole thing doesn't sound like MMA. I'm sorry, but Lil John doesn't sound like the most reliable source on MMA fights.

I think the gangsta' attitude towards martial arts was best put in a song by Clipse, an east coast gangsta rap group that dealt (and maybe still deals) cocaine to fund their records. It's Ain't Cha by Clipse feat Re-Up Gang:

"Nobody knows Karate, nobody's in Kill Bill"

This sounds more like the WWE than the UFC (Sorry, just really wanted to add even more TLA's to this conversation).
    Last edited by Uri Shatil; 8/23/2007 1:53am at . Reason: "gant" isn't a word
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast