Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 8:22pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

“Chinese Goju”

Hello, I am new here! I recently had a renewed interest in martial arts and am looking for a reputable dojo in my area (Lawton, Oklahoma). I am going for a free lesson this coming Tuesday at a Dojo that teaches “Chinese Goju”. The instructor is a guy named Thomas L. Felder and the art was founded by a guy named Ron Van Clief. The dojo has a website: www.chinesegoju.org Can anybody give me any feedback? After reading all the horror stories on this site I am a bit nervous about finding a reputable school.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:17pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this may be in the wrong forum. I don't think it is a CMA, it looks like a hybrid Karate style so you may want to post this question in the Japanese MA forums or ask a Mod to move it there for you.

One thing that jumped out at me and gets an immediated Red Flag is at the bottom of the webpage after you get past the intro page, they have a link titled "on-line training", not a good thing in most cases.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:38pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it belongs here dude, it's not really CMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That raised an eyebrow for me as well. Has anybody heard of this style or these people?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:22am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Ron VonCleef (or something to that extent), his main protoge' was in the movie Last Dragon and a that Cosby Spinoff about college. He was also a ref for the UFC for awhile when the UFC went underground and fought Royce Gracie I believe in UFC4 but you better double check my answer I'm just being lazy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my free lesson the other day. But still not sure about it. I am going to sign up and give it a try. Here are the pros and cons:

Pro: No contracts, (you pay month to month, $50 a month) no test fees, no rank certification fees, and we do spar

Cons’: sparring is at reduced speed and power, they offer cardio kick boxing, and they have on-line training

Caveats:
    1. The cardio kick boxing is free to all military, military family members, and Department of Defense employees, you don’t even have to be a fee paying member of the dojo, you just have to show up with a military issue ID card. (We are in a military town, so this is like 99% of the population.). He basically just gives away his time to help the military men and women in town
    2. The on-line training has basic info such as kata stuff, but it also has old video games such as pacman. Soke said he put it on-line to just give us something to relax and play with.

What do you all think, is this a McDojo?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think so. If you look at his bio it is pretty honest. It doesn't seem too inflated. This is the only thing I didn't like
    Felder was honored for his decades of dedication and commitment during a World Hall of Fame induction ceremony held on September 1, 2001 by the World Head of Sokeship Council.

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 11:44am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ron Van Clief did a t least two movies in the 70's- the Black Dragon ( he actually had a minor role) and Return of the Black Dragon ( he was the star). I think there was another Chinese Goju guy, Bill Louie, who used to do a Bruce Lee tribute at the old Aaron Banks World of martial arts events. Banks' events were more like a circus, really.
    Van Clief studied wing chun with, I think, Leung Ting, and threw in some tiger claw kung fu. He's been married 5+ times, and was in pretty good shape at I think 51 years old, when he fought Royce Gracie. He got RNC'd very quickly, as I recall. He was a good sport about the whole thing, unlike some of the other guys that got crushed back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07dFslElUkA
    Last edited by new2bjj; 8/31/2007 11:50am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Van Clief created chinese goju after studying goju with peter urban and mixing it with some of his other training. He used to have a school in NY and was in amazing shape even at 60. He spends most of his time on the island of st. john these days as far as I know. His school in NY was pretty tough and they did a lot of fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 8:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So class is going well. I am not allowed to spar. He just has me doing a lot of Kata's. The other students spar, but it is pretty light weight. Reduced speed, no real contact. But I have only been to class twice so far. Also, the other students are out of breath WAY before I am.
    I don't know..........
    I was hoping for more contact.
    What do you all think?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast