Sponsored Links Spacer Image

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 3:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight Gain shakes help onlyh because they add more calories into your diet. SO you can just eat more and gain or use a shake instead. Much cheaper and better to just eat more.

Keep a log of what you eat and calories, then after a week or so you will see a steady pattern. Since you will be keeping a calorie log it should be easy for you to up your calories by ~200 calories a day until you start gaining weight.

Just make sure you ar focusing on getting stronger also so you don't end up mostly with fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:26pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes genetics have alot to do with muscle gain, but hard work outweighs genetics anyways. IS 1 rep max important for size gain, because pretty much how i do it is, if i can do the weight for a full set, (dead reps x 4, squat x 10, bench x 10) i take it up 5 pounds per workout.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    IS 1 rep max important for size gain, because pretty much how i do it is, if i can do the weight for a full set, (dead reps x 4, squat x 10, bench x 10) i take it up 5 pounds per workout.
    The 1RM is an important tool to help determine how much you should be training with. If you don't know how much you can lift, it's more difficult to determine how much you should...

In re supplements, as has been noted numerous times, often your "gainers" are mostly sugar. If you just want to add calories to your diet, it's generally less expensive (and more fulfilling) to eat more. The issue here is that you still haven't determined how much you're eating already, nor how much of it comes from fat, carbohydrate or protein.

An oft cited rule of thumb for protein intake is anywhere from 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight all the way up to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. If you're not at least on the low end of that range, you might consider adding a protein supplement like Designer Protein or the protein shots that Macho discussed in an earlier thread.
    Last edited by sdave; 8/29/2007 5:26pm at .
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is 1 rep max also importany for muscle memory?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ?????????

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 4:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHat do you mean is it important for muscle memory? IMO doing low reps (1-3) helps gain strength. I especially like it for deadlifts.

If you normally train higher reps, <6, I'd say t ease into low reps and 1rm because technique becomes very important for safety. Also, the feel and muscle/mind connection is different.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 2:32pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Weight Gain shakes help onlyh because they add more calories into your diet. SO you can just eat more and gain or use a shake instead. Much cheaper and better to just eat more.
    You can research "shake" recipes online that are damned near dirt cheap to make. Some people find calorie supplemantaion in shake form is more convenient. Especially for post workout recovery. Simply aggitate and drink vs taking the time to sit and eat or even worse trying to hurry through a mini meal.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah I agree, I used a few store bought shakes that I liked but you can make better ones at home. Oatmeal, milk, peanuts, ice cream, those are some staples for my shakes which I probably will be using again.

Store bought gainers are better though for post workout if you train at a gym as they come in powder so you can just add water at the end of a workout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 9:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about partial reps, like deadlifting alot more weight from above the knee? Not as a replacement but as something to do on different days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ??????????????
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast