Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 1:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anybody know of good Connecticut MA schools?

I've been training "Shaolin" Kempo (not Villari's or USSD, my instructor split off from them when they started calling meetings and talking about how much money they made instead of their instruction quality) for about six years now, and I just got my second dan a few months back. Around then I figured great, second degree not doing too bad. But then I realized that with almost NO sparring, and definitley no full contact sparring (unless it was outside of class or after it) I've been wasting my time for the past six years. My instructor is great and has trained police officers and was a cop in worcester for a long ass time, but I feel like all that hasn't done anything good for me. Although he gave me permission to run a full contact sparring class, I feel like there's nothing good that I could teach anybody at this point in that situation, other than what I already know. I've been looking into a BJJ school near me thats a Royce Gracie BJJ school, but I can't find any information on the guy who runs it other than he's been training with Royce for 15 years apparently. The site is www.gracie-jiu-jitsu.com.

Even though I've had\ other people outside of my school compliment my fighting stlye I feel like my grappling and striking skills are at best mediocre, and I'm really wondering what would be good to compliment my basic skills. At this point I feel like anything short of Muay Thai or kyokushin would be a waste of my time. Any advice?

Sorry for the novel there, but this has been bugging me for a while now. I enjoy kempo, but I really really am in need of finding something more practical. Any help would be appreciated.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in exactly the same predicament as you, you're realizing that you may have all these flashy kenpo techniques down, but you don't actually have any fighting skills whatsoever. So, what do you do now? I would drive down to this BJJ school you have near you, and if he can prove to you that he's fairly qualified, (When I went down to one of my local BJJ schools, the head instructor had a NAGA belt hanging on the wall, and he had all of his big wins on a business card.) sign up. As for trying Muay Thai/Kyokushin, I would go for Muay Thai, but ditch any "Karate" all together.

So, hmm, just take a drive down there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice! The jiujitsu place says the guys had 15 years of experience in BJJ and has been working out with Royce Gracie for as long. His name is Jim Hughes, don't know if that sets off any BS detectors. As far as kempo, recently our instructors allowed us to do full contact sparring with take downs, but it's with bogu style protective gear, and I'd much rather have someone coaching me and helping me out than just letting me throw punches and kicks to try and down somebody. I feel like you're not really learning what to do when you spar like that.

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 5:22pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've known Jim Hughes since the mid 1990s and he's not only a great guy but he's also a very good teacher and good on the mat. He doesn't really run a competition oriented school so if you have UFC dreams you might want to go someplace with a competition team that goes to NAGA but if you just want to learn good skills for a reasonable price Jim is a good start.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 9:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a ton guys, I'm relieved to hear that since there are a lot of BS martial art schools in the area.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kosho, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i believe there is a kyokushin school in conneticut

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:58am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a school in Woonsocket that does Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu. It was there in 1991. They were great, I'm sure they are still there. I think the name was Woonsocket Self Defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what part of CT you live in? I live in meridn and know about a lot of dojo's around there.

I too was a kempo karate guy for many years as a child, until i decided to move onto other horizons.
    Last edited by MixedMetalArms; 1/14/2008 10:29pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2008 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in New Britain right now since I'm at Central Connecticut state...looks like once I get my physical done in march I'll be joining a Gracie school near by, but in the meantime just doing more kempo, aikijujutsu, and the Tang Soo Do club at school. Other schools that got my attention were Southern New England Mixed Martial Arts, Cromwell Martial arts (Modern Arnis and American/Shaolin Kempo blend, mainly interested in it for the Arnis) and the Cromwell Kyokushin Kan school. I've also been looking into Scott Kneeland's school since I've become interested in Kosho Ryu, but at this point I'm not sure that would be the best supplement. My groundwork is almost non-existent other than some basic stuff I learned at seminars and my standup reflects point sparring habits, full contact point sparring, but still point sparring nonetheless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if you are still looking for a dojo, but am actually a student at the Kyokushin karate dojo in Cromwell. Top shelf stuff. You should go there. The classes are extremely athletic and that place has black belts that I legitimately fear.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast