Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo has katas? WTF?

True test of a Judo black belt if they got it for hitting the books or hitting the mat. Ask them how many katas they know if the laugh and say I did one for my black belt then you know they competed. If they give you a long diatribe
    about the benefits and how they are perfecting the finer points then you know they hardly compete.

Before anyone jumps in to defend kata in Judo. I understand the the uses and benefits. I also understand why its needed. I know 3 katas and suck ass at all three. Katame no kata was called "pedestrian at best" when I tested for my nidan. Personally I want my guys to be well rounded in Judo and know all of it. I am just not going to kill myself correcting kata instead of spending my time doing uchi komi, nage komi and randori.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 10:28am

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I absolutely agree with you. I find Nage no kata useful. Had to do it for my shodan and I think I picked up stuff that I otherwise wouldn't bother with (like left uchimata...). I did Katame no kata (uke part) and I find it pretty redundant if one spends reasonable amount of time doing real newaza.

Koshiki and Itsutsu are really esotheric.

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Judo has katas? WTF?

True test of a Judo black belt if they got it for hitting the books or hitting the mat. Ask them how many katas they know if the laugh and say I did one for my black belt then you know they competed. If they give you a long diatribe
    about the benefits and how they are perfecting the finer points then you know they hardly compete.

Before anyone jumps in to defend kata in Judo. I understand the the uses and benefits. I also understand why its needed. I know 3 katas and suck ass at all three. Katame no kata was called "pedestrian at best" when I tested for my nidan. Personally I want my guys to be well rounded in Judo and know all of it. I am just not going to kill myself correcting kata instead of spending my time doing uchi komi, nage komi and randori.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12