Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/25/2007 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Dokan Ryu Ju Jutsu Sweden

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Koshiki no Kata

Koshiki no Kata is an interesting kata originating from Kito ryu. Kano loaned it to Kodokan but it is not an official kata required for Dan Gradings in judo. Is it included in the curriculum of any jujutsu school/organisation?

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/25/2007 5:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Description? youtube link? I am not familar with Kito-ryu kata.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2007 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DokanDojo
    Koshiki no Kata is an interesting kata originating from Kito ryu. Kano loaned it to Kodokan but it is not an official kata required for Dan Gradings in judo. Is it included in the curriculum of any jujutsu school/organisation?
    Wrong. 8th dans are required to know Koshiki no kata, btw. It is part of the Kodokan curriculum, and it was not loaned to the Kodokan by Kano. Kano incorporated this kata into the Kodokan curriculum as a means to preserve the techniques from Kito Ryu that he felt were compatible to Judo.

Plazma, some youtube treats for ya.

The man demonstrating the Kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ggqaoLR7A

Longer performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xFGrWXZjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLK1dy9GwM

Also, according to wiki

Some striking demonstrations of it from the 1950s can be seen in the film "Classic Judo Kata," by Hal Sharp. If the description of the kata in that film is correct, it would be the only judo kata that involves attacking the cervical spine---certainly no other judo kata includes that technique.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/25/2007 8:24pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 12:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Macho.

Dorkus Malorkus

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really a kata person, but I've been try to find video of this kata performed in the traditional armor. This is the only one I could find.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjd_BjAtaA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:13am

Style: Aikido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I'm not really a kata person, but I've been try to find video of this kata performed in the traditional armor. This is the only one I could find.
    Yeah, I remember seeing that too. I guess it's...kind of like real armor? Maybe? (Then again, for all I know, that could be uber-authentic. It just looks like tin foil.)

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weird stuff. looks more like aikido for robots than judo.

how do the techniques in the kata relate to the rest of the judo curriculum?

Dorkus Malorkus

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I know about Judo, not much

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    The yt history has lots of people questioning the autenticity of this. Props to them for trying to try it with armor, but notice the differences between that clip and the previous one done in a Judo setting, as a Judo kata examination.

Not directly, at least not to the more "basal" katas. Seems to me it's more a vehicle for historical preservation, which is a good think considering how much information has been lost in JJ before on/from the time Judo was being formulated.

Remember that Judo also has a mandatory educational and historical aspect to it, mandatory to higher level practitioners that is. At least that's how it seems given that this Kata is a requirement for pple pursuing an 8th dan.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 4:01pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Katas are learning/training tools. I find Nage no kata very useful, the rest not so much, and generally the opinions vary. There are people, especially from Europe, that went on to win Worlds without bothering much with kata, and there are World and All Japan champions that consider kata crucial part of Judo.

As for Koshiki and Itsutsu, Kano added these to the Judo curriculum quite late in his life when his focus was not so much the combat aspect but rather the health/education aspect of Judo. Very few regular Judo practicioners and competitors get to learn these within their prime competitive shiai carriers.

Ask this question on Judoforum.com, there's a couple of old time senseis there that will explain this better than I can.

Tomas
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast