Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 6:53am

Style: many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Hey if I can't get a point I'm not afraid of giving out a little hurt. Arms are just a nice soft cushion for your shin anyways right?

Off topic, praetorian where do you train? I know you mentioned your instructor was a BJJ instructor as well and I only know of a few in the Edmonton area. Just curious.
    There aren't many BJJ set ups that's for sure here in Edmonchuk. Too bad really. The guy I referred to is Kevin Ford- just a first degree in BJJ, but, his seminars on grappling/groundfighting are excellent. Also in his schools, he has decent self defence at every level of training. Its nice because most of it isn't crappy- it genuine BJJ. He's a 5th degree in TKD- working real hard to have a non-mcdojang. He is a TKD school though. I knew I liked him when he said TKD has nothing much on the ground- now what. He's just south of Grant Mac in the west end. He trained in Vancouver. The guy I roll with is Randy Hamilton- pretty tough at ground fighting and a 4th deg in TKD, not a blackbelt in BJJ though (yet). He is in the east out by Hughes @ Family TKD. Not the as good as Kevin is, but still good. Don't get me wrong, these are not BJJ schools by any means , they just have groundfighting and its called that (though its really BJJ, but whatever)- and lots of people whine about ground. I also knew I liked him when he told them to suck it up. Everybody rolls and has to know how to fall. Inspired me to actually join TKD again. (I also got back into TKD after my flab factor was catching up:lol: ) Ironic because it was my first eastern style when I was little- now its me again now I'm oldish. He does public seminars a couple times a year. I was in JJJ and BJJ for about 2 years with a roomate of mine who used to work out at the maximum prison on the takedown team. Those boys were pretty decent scrappers, lots of different backgrounds and lots of MMA'ers. In fact one of my old instructors, Vernon Gorman, is a ref for MFC and King of the Cage stuff here in town, great fighter too. So, I have a point of reference there. I do want to go pay a visit to the guy at Millenium place- he's strictly BJJ, I understand, but only part time. It'd be good to just concentrate on that again too... comes in handy for work. (hey I wonder if we have enough guys for a funsy throwdown in this area). anyone you really like in the area for BJJ/JJJ?

Back to topic: (sorry for the blah, blah other folks) To be sure - I know these are two different arts(BJJ/TKD way different), but put together they aren't bad at all.
    Last edited by praetorian01; 11/18/2007 7:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    delete please
    Last edited by praetorian01; 11/18/2007 7:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :deadhorse :5help: gahh help- posting going crazy- how to delete

OK- seeing as I can't delete it I'll make it interesting. A story: You would not believe how many psych patients coming in where I work that we have, that believe they are either MMA or BJJ masters. Ususally because god told them or the little man in their tooth did. We had one dude that told me to call security right away, because god told him he now needed to demonstrate his BJJ to everyone, so that or someone would be hurt. And, maybe he was a BJJ man, but, kinda doubted it, anyways he was getting loud and roudy. The guards came to help. Then he started to yell, WOOO, WOOO over and over and start to warm up and couldn't be talked down. He did some weird high school wrestling looking stance and took his shot at me. Sadly for him and good for us he did not know BJJ or even his cousin JJJ.
    My crosstraining comes in handy- I have the TKD reflexes to dodge/redirect punches, knees and kicks (we do get MA or boxer guys sometimes, but lots of jailhouse scrappin tactics)and the BJJ to gently guide them to a less dangerous position. Even the guards tend to use a lot of police safety system stuff that is JJ and Judo based- so we know what our partner is going to do. Its simple and you know its good when the poor super ill, but super strong little devil that attacked you doesn't get hurt and neither do we.
    Last edited by praetorian01; 11/18/2007 7:40am at .
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617