Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    8/25/2007 11:44pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best friend is a captain in the US army stationed in Afganville and he has been doing these workouts ever since he got there. He is ranger qualified [but not a ranger] and he feels these workouts are great for overall strength and fitness. A big plus is the minimalistic training, since he doesn't have access to all the crap at a commercial gym.

Good stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 12:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bunch of people at my BJJ school are into crossfit and that same bunch of people are in amazing shape so therefore I declare it's good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 6:37pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep - crossfit is the way to go... I signed up to their newsletter thing and every day they send me a workout. I keep a bank of all the "useful ones" (ones which I personally like and include running/strength based exercise). On top of my lifting/training, I'll complete one of their workouts at random.

Some awesome stuff they've got there... really taxing and if you follow their programme you'll get fit(ter) in no time!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 4:47am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I have seen of Special Forces selection tests crossfit would work pretty well. Crossfit doesnt work so well for me being a high level rugby player but for your goals it fits in pretty decently. You will find the minimalistic approach to be useful aswell. If your going for the SEALs then you may need more swimming but otherwise everything should be fine and dandy.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:02am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What sort of fitness tests do you have to do for SF selection?

Infidel

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:17am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the basic fitness test that someone needs to pass to be considered for the course. (Once you're course loaded they ramp it up)

Part (day) 1
    20 Meter shuttle run level 9 (that beep test you do running back and forth for X amount of time) [5min rest]
    MIN 40 push ups (continous)[2 min rest]
    MIN 40 situps in under 1 MIN.[2 min rest]
    MIN 5 pullups [15 min rest]
    Combat swim test- 25meter swim in uniform, combat boots and rifle with no flotation device.

Part 2.
    13Km (10 mile) run with uniform, combat boots, chest rig, helmet, rifle and a rucksack (backpack) weighting 77.1 lbs -to be completed in under 2 hours and 26 minutes.
    Casualty Evactuation. Carry someone a distance of 100meters in under a minute, unless I'm mistaken with all your gear on sans rucksack. To be completed in under 10 minutes after returing from the above march.

Note: pers applying for cat 1 posns are encouraged to perform to the best of their ability on the pf test. Pf test scores will be used as a part of the sel process with preferences given to those with higher scores
    Meaning if you just pass you won't make it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:05am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining_Blood
    From what I have seen of Special Forces selection tests crossfit would work pretty well.
    Yeah - that's the wonder of crossfit. It focusses on everything and builds a great base of athletic ability. What I like is the lack of regularity. If you look on their website/subscribe to their newsletter, you could be repping chins one day, running 3 miles the next, and lifting heavy the day after, or any combination of different exercises. Seems appropriate to army fitness testing, since the running and bodyweight stuff is often covered. Army pullup requirements will be piss-easy after you've done crossfit for a while.

Once my next fight's done with at the end of next month I'm gonna stick to crossfit for a month or so before lifting 3x per week at the moment. Also the added bonus that you can "compete" by posting times/loads to their website.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark

13Km (10 mile) run with uniform, combat boots, chest rig, helmet, rifle and a rucksack (backpack) weighting 77.1 lbs -to be completed in under 2 hours and 26 minutes.

Meaning if you just pass you won't make it.
    The other minimums I think I can make (not by a big margin and it would depend how heavy the guy you have to carry for 100 metres is). But anything more than a fast walk carrying an extra 77 lbs sounds fierce when we're talking about 13km (13km is just over 8 miles btw, but still..).

I'd be interested to hear what kind of time guys who pass can do that in.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Infidel

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:24am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can do those minimums that's awesome.

The crux with the pushups is that if you don't do it to their standard, it doesn't count. So instead of doing 40 you might end up doing 50+. One of the problems I've seen recruits face,especially girls, is that while a girl for example only needs 9 push ups to join- she'll train to do 9 but the evaluator will say that one you just did doesn't count. They didn't go all the way down, elbows not at the correct 90 degree angle. So they end up having to do 10 or 11 or 12. I've seen many people fail by 1 pushup because of this.

The 100 meter carry is with someone your own body weight and size.

As for the march, don't forget that aside from the 77 pound pack, you have an 8 or 9 pound rifle in your hands, your chestrig which can add 10 or 15 pounds. (Even if you empty everything out you're still carrying water) and your helmet which is 3 and a halfish pounds. If your unacustomed to wearing a helmet it feels like 20 pounds on your head.

I guess the swimming test is the biggest one guys and girls fail out on. Trying to stay afloat and swim 75 feet with boots, clothing and that 8 pound rifle must be a killer.

A few years ago I did that march with about 55-60 lbs in about 1 hour and 59 minutes (against my will) and my feet and back were wrecked for about 3 days, mind you at the time I wasn't training for that kinda thing at all.

PS who uses miles anyways.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:48am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering. It seems like the crossfit workouts are supposed to "gas" you. How does that fit in with technical training i.e. rolling, drilling etc
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast