Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 3:05am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

toe sprain/toe ligament injury

I seem to have a recurring injury to the big toe of my left foot, every time i stub it or subject it to a medium+ level of pushing pressure, it becomes very painful to put weight on or push on, particularly from the side. having read around a bit i think it may be comparable to turf toe. It has been happening on and off for a couple of years now and I have the vague notion it can be traced back to smashing against someones knee when going for an inside low kick.

Anyone have similar, any tips for prevention/cure etc? heat, ice etc? I find binding it difficult but effective at least to some degree. other than that i am kind of lost. Doctor says rest, but when i had 3 months off with a shin fracture the toe healed up, only to come back immediately when i started training again, i dont want another few months off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 5:02am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have exactly the same problem, don;t know if there's much that can be done about it to be honest! I found this a while ago but it;s a bit OTT to apply before every session:

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injur...toe_taping.htm

I also started a thread about the possibility of wearing wrestling shoes to practice:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 10:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    Doctor says rest, but when i had 3 months off with a shin fracture the toe healed up, only to come back immediately when i started training again, i dont want another few months off.
    find another doctor, preferably one with similar sports experience (maybe a former wrestler) or a sports specific doctor.

as a long distance runner, i have had a myriad of injuries and was told to simply rest. like you, it would get better while i was taking time off, only to return once activity resumed. finally someone recomended a doctor who was also a runner and understood that rest was not an option. he found several ways for me to heal sucessfully (including foam rollers, active isolation stretching, proper icing techniques, etc). all of the past problems are now gone and i am still training.

good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:49pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same thing in my big toe, I have had it for 8 years, and I don't think it is going away, on top of that I hurt the knuckles of my foot in the middle there is a large knot that won't go away, and if I hit it on someone's shin during practice it hurts so damn bad, and it stays a little bruised, I took 8 weeks off when I dislocated my ankle, and it stopped hurting, but then it came back as soon as I kicked someones shin again, it sucks, but I don't think there is much to do about it, if there is I would like to know. It also is starting to hurt to walk on it, and I have to walk alot at my job...DAMNIT!!! Why can't I just be a cyborg...LOL

Posted On:
    9/01/2007 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Doe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't had problems with toe sprains yet. However, I have been taking TKD for about 4 weeks now and love it. Anyway, in turning on my kicks, I keep getting a recurring and painful blister on each of my big toes. Does anyone have a cure for this?

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 6:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first few weeks I started Karate I popped my left little toe out of the socket. So now I tape my little toe to the toe next to it.

The blister on your big toe, when you turn, are you turning on your toe or the ball of your foot? I don't know anything about Tae Kwon Doe but it is tough to learn to turn on the ball of your foot. My trouble is that I am still turning on my heel, which screws up my balance.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We turn on our entire foot as hard as that sounds, but TKD is about balance and keeping your center of gravity. My sensei actually solved this for me and got me to order some tabi socks. Though as a coincidence, last week I hyperextended my big toe. I believe that once this has heeled, I may have to tape that toe as well

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is the axis of rotation is the middle of the foot? Yes it sounds hard but I could imagine it would be good for balance.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=sprained

Covered all this in pretty good detail already. I've found that using heat in the long term helped a lot in the recovery. Aslo, be sure to tape the bigtoe to the next one when training, this took a lot of the pressure off.

Be prepared for a long recovery period though.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 8:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a bunch, I'll start taping it tomorrow. Hopefully my tabi socks will be here. My sensei, upon seeing my toe the other day forbid me to train without socks anyway. He said he was proud of me for "playing through the pain" but that he'd rather have me there 100% than playing in pain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast