U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Since you have no training in Long Fist, how are you going to know if they are teaching you a traditional style or the contemporary style? Lots of instructors will tell you that they teach the traditional style just to get you to sign up and then teach you the contemporary one figuring you won't know the difference. Be Careful!! Try going to youtube and finding vids of "traditional" longfist and then see how it compares visually with what they are teaching.

As I have stated LongFist has never impressed me, but as Matt Stone stated you should try to get more info on the lineage especially in regards to the BaGua Zhang.
    One other tidbit, just to complicate matters... :profe:

"Traditionally," Bagua wasn't taught to someone unless they already had skill in another art; it was considered simply too complex to be grasped by a rank amateur beginner. So, it's entirely plausible (if not possible) that this school uses changquan as the "gateway" to baguazhang...

Just a thought. It's probably all wushu, but I'm working on being more generous to people... :5flowerfa

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin Has the correct.

Longfist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longfist

This is why I tend to wonder when someone tries to label their stuff Northern, Southern, or long fist with no art listed.

Longfist as a separate style is basically a modern term. Yes, history wise with MA wiki leaves much to be desired. Definitrion wise wiki is mostly alright.

Do a google search and you will see many styles called longfist.

Yes, I knew all forms of the Hua forms listed in the article except, the 2 2-man sets. It is one of the few styles I believe is authentic and not imported into the SD curriculum.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    One other tidbit, just to complicate matters... :profe:

"Traditionally," Bagua wasn't taught to someone unless they already had skill in another art; it was considered simply too complex to be grasped by a rank amateur beginner. So, it's entirely plausible (if not possible) that this school uses changquan as the "gateway" to baguazhang...

Just a thought. It's probably all wushu, but I'm working on being more generous to people... :5flowerfa
    Yep, I was schooled on that fact after I left my McDojo.

What I will say is, you will find teachers that teach Bagua exclusively. What ends up happening is you learn the base style as "Bagua" drills first IMO.

Personally, that is where linear Bagua came from IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRxFzdowMY

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really have no idea what you are asking here. I read it twice (but I get hit in the head a lot) and I have yet to see you state any goals. You want some insight into long fist, it's a motion based set with no true direct application except to teach the body how to move. If they are teaching a true long fist set they'll have a seperate 'boxing program'. As for point sparring and 'full contac' well that's all relative now isn't it?

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 12:44am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Longfist Wikipedia article reads like a Kwoon overview. It should be re-written for objectivity and comprehensiveness.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 11:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why?

The basic definition is true.

It says a sample of a longfist curriculum what do you see as wrong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:13pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TO whom it may concern, well I haven't replied since I have been trying to see a class. But I joined up and just had my first class. I started off with basic strikes. ( have to learn the basics) and then I observed sparring drills. First off, the instructors were a lot more critical then at my old school, which is a good thing since it will help me become better. Even during the sparring drills, the instructors were always helping out the rest of students. They didn't want the drills done sloppy. So I' m pretty ok with the whole school. ( It is better then my old school)

As for the baguazhang, I don't think that they require that you have to take long fist beforehand but they did advise that baguazhang would be more difficult for me. However I have looked into it and I want to take it so I'll check on how to join that class.

I realize that i won't become an awesome Kung fu master within the year but I still want to do it. I'm going to focus on learning and mastering basic strikes, plus I'll focus on physical conditioning ( weights, running, shadow boxing etc). I need to get in shape!! Then Ill move to forms and sparring. ( Need to learn movements before i spar, don't want to look like krotty kick boxing) so ya. I ll attend class again soon so ill keep u guys posted.
    Last edited by boondock lee; 9/30/2007 7:44pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12