Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 1:42pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman56
    Sheltrk:

The fronts of my hips get very sore from certain kicks. I do lunges, flat leg lunges (top of back foot on ground while arching my back over my back leg) and bent knee quad stretches. Do you have any advice on other stretches? Which do you do?
    Don't mess up your hips! Check your technique on those kicks and/or find an MD. I'm not an MD, but in my lay opinion, sore hips after certain kicks suggest few possibilities: 1) You are not doing this kick right, and injuring yourself. 2) You have a flexibility deficit, and are injuring yourself when you do those kicks. 3) You've already injured yourself, and you are making it worse when you do those kicks. Oh, and try to find an MD with sports medicine experience or a physical therapist. Some GP's may not comprehend why you would want to kick that way anyway.

There are lots and lots of hip stretches out there, but I'm pretty particular about finding ways that don't put too much stress on my knees (which I've hyperextended before...). The one I've liked best for hip flexors is this one. For hip adductors, I think I've decided I like this one best.

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltrk
    Don't mess up your hips! Check your technique on those kicks and/or find an MD. I'm not an MD, but in my lay opinion, sore hips after certain kicks suggest few possibilities: 1) You are not doing this kick right, and injuring yourself. 2) You have a flexibility deficit, and are injuring yourself when you do those kicks. 3) You've already injured yourself, and you are making it worse when you do those kicks. Oh, and try to find an MD with sports medicine experience or a physical therapist. Some GP's may not comprehend why you would want to kick that way anyway.

There are lots and lots of hip stretches out there, but I'm pretty particular about finding ways that don't put too much stress on my knees (which I've hyperextended before...). The one I've liked best for hip flexors is this one. For hip adductors, I think I've decided I like this one best.

Hyperextended knees -- OUCH!

Good advice. Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by beanman56; 8/30/2007 12:23am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123