--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question or two about GKR

Hi,
    I've been doing a little research about GKR after my sons have shown an interest (not following the arrival of a door-knocker actually, one of their friends does it so they've been asking if they can go too). I've read a whole bunch of problematic stuff on here that's putting me off, but most of that I've read seems to be from 5+ years ago so thought it might be worth asking if anyone knows that improvements have been made over recent years (ie its been around longer now so a more highly-qualified pool of instructors etc)
    Forgive me if I've missed threads though, I've been having trouble with the search function so if it has come up more recently I may have missed it!
    Thank you ! J

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which country are you in? The standards here in the UK are pretty appalling. Often students end running classes under the guise of a stripped belt.

The karate is essentially no contact (which is fine as long as you aren't looking for more than a work out). The quality of the karate is pretty dire. There are a lot of other karate organisations in the UK which will offer (assuming you are in the UK) much higher quality instruction.

I think the main reason it hasn't really been discussed here for a while is that it has pretty much been "done to death". Posters views on it haven't changed.

Let us know where you live.
    Last edited by scipio; 5/13/2016 1:31am at . Reason: Typo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, thanks for your speedy response!
    I am indeed in the UK (Yorkshire).
    It makes sense that it's been quiet as everything's been said - I think I was just optimistically hoping for improvement :D
    With admittedly only limited research into local options GKR seemed quite handy as they have so many classes running so can always get to one,.. and if I'm honest I don't like the idea of them getting beaten about too badly! But I wouldn't want to be paying for something they could essentially do in front of the tv if I bought an exercise DVD either....
    If you do have any suggestions about other styles to be looking at it would be much appreciated! Thanks! x

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jemimapuddleduc View Post
    If you do have any suggestions about other styles to be looking at it would be much appreciated! Thanks! x
    If you don't want your kids getting hit, don't have them do a striking art. Go with judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc. If you want the kids to learn striking, you have boxing, kyokushin, Muay Thai, kickboxing, etc. Any reputable school will be responsible about introducing contact levels appropriately.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It makes sense that it's been quiet as everything's been said - I think I was just optimistically hoping for improvement :D
    With admittedly only limited research into local options GKR seemed quite handy as they have so many classes running so can always get to one,.. and if I'm honest I don't like the idea of them getting beaten about too badly! But I wouldn't want to be paying for something they could essentially do in front of the tv if I bought an exercise DVD either....
    Judo, its definitely a good workout and a lot more applicable for self defence than no-contact kickpunchery, without the fear of excessive wear and tear. Plus in my experience, Judo clubs tend to be well geared towards kids classes with a lot of 7-14 year olds participating in the UK, a decent number of competitions for your kids to participate in when they get a little more experience, plus Judo tends to be considerably cheaper than most other options.

Look up the British Judo Association (http://www.britishjudo.org.uk) club finder, or the British Judo Council (http://www.britishjudocouncil.org) club search to find which one is close to you and works for your timetable

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One cannot learn to fight without well fighting, just like any other skill.

All of the none fighting aspects of martial arts that are sold to parents are also kind of a hodge podge of BS as well.
    Those skills such as dedication, discipline, hard work, ect... can be learned by participating in any team sport.

For kids I highly recommend Judo, its both a martial art and a sport though largely treated as a sport.
    The kids will still get a bit "beaten up" but in a much more rough housing sort of way verses say a beat down.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your help - I'll look into local Judo!
    Much appreciated :) x