Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11
    Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    DAYoung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    6,269
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    There's no warmth in your posts any more.
    I'll swap you some warmth for an insightful contribution to this thread.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon


  2. #12
    Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    DAYoung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    6,269
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I agree to a certain extent. I have been asked a bunch of times why I train or fight. I just answer "cause it scares me". I heard it in a movie one time I think "you do the thing that scares you shittless, and get the courage after".... seems backwards but thats the way it is.
    Damnit. I know that film.

    THANKS A LOT. YOU JUST COST ME TWO DAYS OF THINKING.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu made me an obnoxious loud mouth who loves the sound of his own voice....wait, I was that already. BJJ just made me a loud mouth with a buzz cut who occasionally fakes a Brazilian accent.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,952
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I know what you mean, but I disagree.

    Courage is sometimes doing what you must, despite your fear, and in full knowledge of a painful outcome.
    I stand corrected! I wish I was more eloquent, because that pretty much sums it up for me. Also, the whole training because you face your fears=decrease anxiety/more confidence is a legit reason too train. The one thing is, sometimes, sometimes people are focused on working through a low probability event when they need to overcome fear/anxiety in another, high probability event. When i was single, i trained in Karate a lot, and never got laid. so, instead of trying to boost my self image through learning how to defend myself, I focused on keeping track of how many times i would ask a girl to dance, phone numbers, dates etc. I went from zero to hero in a few months, getting the best poon I had had in years, for years. A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation.." Anyway, if you need to work up the courage to get a promotion or close more sales, you need to do more sales calls, not work on your Jab or Spider Guard.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    484
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Damnit. I know that film.

    THANKS A LOT. YOU JUST COST ME TWO DAYS OF THINKING.
    Black Hawk Down FTW?:911flag:

  6. #16
    Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    DAYoung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    6,269
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I stand corrected! I wish I was more eloquent, because that pretty much sums it up for me. Also, the whole training because you face your fears=decrease anxiety/more confidence is a legit reason too train. The one thing is, sometimes, sometimes people are focused on working through a low probability event when they need to overcome fear/anxiety in another, high probability event. When i was single, i trained in Karate a lot, and never got laid. so, instead of trying to boost my self image through learning how to defend myself, I focused on keeping track of how many times i would ask a girl to dance, phone numbers, dates etc. I went from zero to hero in a few months, getting the best poon I had had in years, for years. A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation.." Anyway, if you need to work up the courage to get a promotion or close more sales, you need to do more sales calls, not work on your Jab or Spider Guard.
    Um. Thanks.

    I should retitle my thread: "Vices in Martial Arts and Life: Aristotle on Poon".
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    484
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation..
    your talking about accuracy by volume.... or the shotgun approach.... I have friends that say the same thing... and I tell them, for all the hot girls you see me hook up with, you dont see how many I don't....

  8. #18
    Judah Maccabee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,325
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAYoung, you've thrown down a gauntlet that I wholly intend on picking up after family dinner tonight. This topic is related to my secondary research interests, and I've got some arguments I want to work through.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,952
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't intend for the example i mentioned to be a poon contest, only that many times, the confidence that you can crush someone in mortal combat may not transfer into dividends that you can use. Poon, I said poon, how mature is that?

  10. #20
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was a teenager doing non/light contact MA made me think I was a lot tougher than I really was.

    One thing I've noticed myself doing when sparring hard, is feeling proud the next day around people who don't do MA when I get a black eye or something like that.

    That's stupid.
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/22/2007 5:34pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO