Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 1:56am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And furthermore, the rap scene right now doesn't suck that bad. Sure, many people are talking about it sucking, and Nas even released an album entitled "Hip Hop Is Dead." But southern and south coast hip-hop is just rising, and still hasn't peaked. Clipse's latest album kicked ass. Nas's lastest album kicked ass.

And Girl Talk's latest album REALLY kicked ass, and REALLY showed us that hip-hop is not near dead, and it's not even in decline.

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 1:58am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's actually some very intelligent stuff coming out of the great lakes region too, particularly minneapolis.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if you were serious in your first post Uri, but I wanted to add some more description. This was in fact MMA tryouts, as they were punching, kicking, wrestling, going to guard, and sometimes looking for submission. The people in the tryouts came from different MA backgrounds, but some were just brawlers.

As for Lil Jon and the rappers, well.. I'm pretty sure they don't know jack **** about MMA, but they are just they're to throw in some fame and probably because they fancy having pet fighters. But the fighting was not BS. It was held in a gym basement, and I saw multiple people get fucked up. And it didn't look like the more extreme Pro Wrestling either, it was just really really sloppy amatuer MMA (and brawling) reffed by a BJJ blackbelt, and multiple people from the Atlanta MMA community were present.

I really think that you were joking but if not its disrespectful to the guys who had the sack to get in there and go at it.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 3:11am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    1) BET is a steaming pile of **** that perpetuates racial stereotypes.
    Something like 90% of racial stereotypes in the first world are based on fact, such as blacks commit the majority of crimes (13% of the population causes 75% of violent crime).

I'll dig up a source for that later.

2) this show in particular sounds like it's glorifying brawling vs. combat sport
    Agreed.

3) rapper involvement makes the modern hip-hop scene suck that much more
    Agreed!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, I didn't actually see the event, and all I said was that "it sounded more like WWE than UFC." If there was representation from the MMA community, I was not aware that it represented a great majority of competitors. It sounded to me like rappers were participating in unskilled fights. If that wasn't the case, then I was under the wrong impression. And apparently it wasn't the case, so I was under the wrong impression.

And as for the quote from the Clipse song, yes it was a joke. I just really, really, wanted a chance to use that quote in a discussion on Martial Arts.

PS. to the above, and anyone else talking about how the modern hip-hop scene sucks, do you really know what you're talking about, or do you just heavily dislike hip-hop?

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 10:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds kinda middle-of-the-road to me. The use of rap/hip-hop artists is lame, but if it means that some genuinely talented MMAers get the chance to receive national exposure, then I suppose it would be worth it. I guess.

I wonder if any H-Town rappers will appear on the show...

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 11:12am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    to the above, and anyone else talking about how the modern hip-hop scene sucks, do you really know what you're talking about, or do you just heavily dislike hip-hop?
    Dunno, I'm just not into listening people talking about rape, murder, other violent crimes, and the overuse of psychoactive substances like alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine over 'beats'.

Just not my thing.

I guess it might be the sort of thing you like.

Hell, I guess everyone's different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, how 'bout this: I'll try to think of every rap/hip-hop song about rape, and then try to think of every indie rock song about rape. Now, this is unfair, since I know my indie better than I know my hip-hop, but let's see here right off the top of my head.

Hip-hop songs about rape: 0
    Indie songs about rape: 4 (off the top of my head)

Hip-hop songs gloryifying rape: 0
    Indie songs glorifying rape: 0

Hrm... it doesn't seem that anyone glorifies rape, in the hip-hop world or not... And there's plenty of indie rock glorifying mrijuanna and alchohol. If you count Oasis as indie, there's even one glorifying cocaine use. Sure, it's a more common topic for hip-hop, but it's certainly not exclusive.

And also, I don't know why you decided to put "beats" in half-quotes. I'm pretty sure, first of all, that half-quotes are used only inside quotation marks, and ourside you use full quotes. I'll assume that you meant to write full quotes. That means one of two things. A) You were using someone's words but your own, or B) you were being sarcastic. Either way, I don't see why you would choose to phrase it like that. Would you call it something else? Would you not call it a beat? And why the sarcasm? Do you believe that it's not a real beat?

Well, when you shape up and learn how to appreciate music, let me know. You might wanna start with Beethoven's String Quartet No. 14 in C Sharp Minor, op. 131. From there you can expand your horizons.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    Something like 90% of racial stereotypes in the first world are based on fact, such as blacks commit the majority of crimes (13% of the population causes 75% of violent crime).

I'll dig up a source for that later.
    I think you'll find that economic factors influence crime rates much more strongly than the colour of someone's fucking skin.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:20pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How in the **** does your nutriding of hip hop have anything to do with anything??? Flat out BET is trying to get a pay day out off the MMA cash cow. Having a bunch of street thugs tossed in a ring with a hip hop entourage isn't MMA. It's fucking street brawling with a ref to keep your boyz helping you jump a fool is all it is. MMA isn't defined by the fight. It's defined in the training and discipline. **** BET and their shitty ass rape of my sport.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast