Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 10:16am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As some one pointed out Military combatives are not comprehinsive fighting skill sets. instead they are the minimal basic taught in the shortest amount of time. They always as far as i have ever seen emphisize Agressive action. better way to tink of it is teach you how to throw a basic punch, basic kick, basic knee, basic elbow and a basic hip throw. Wrap these all up with maximan agressive behavier. thats amilitary combative system. more comprehinsive would include some form a of cover useing the arms to block attacks. Just like bayonett training. they teach a basic parry and a thrust. Coupled with agression this is usealy enough to carry a fight against an equaly or infearior trained opponent.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you considered, due to your occupation, the possibility of opening a casual conversation with your patients and their parents?

As a physician, the physical fitness of a child is one of your primary concerns. If a child seems at the proper weight, ask the child and parent what activities they participate in. If MA is mentioned inquire where, what they do, etc. and call the school and ask if the parent trains there as well.

Call the school and indicated you are a pediatrician and one of your patients and/or parents trains at the school and inquire if you might watch a class.

Word of mouth of a good school goes a long way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aardvarks--just yesterday I saw a new patient who just moved from Florida, whose mom is a "karate" instructor. They are not yet familiar with local schools/dojos. I do, however, have several other kids who practice MA, mostly in larger surrounding cities, where distance becomes an issue. (I have to be within 30 minutes drive of the hospital when I'm on call.) But if I'm serious about it, I can make it happen. One of my favorite sayings--"if you really want to do it, you'll find a way; if you don't really want to do it, you'll find an excuse."
    Last edited by pedsmd; 8/23/2007 4:20pm at .

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 8:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pedsmd: One thing you have that a lot of us don't is a WELL paying job.

Chances are you can afford private lessons on your off days, and most instructors will work with you on scheduling if you can make it worth their while.

Of course, don't pay TOO much. Anywhere from $20-$60 an hour is a very reasonable rate if the instructor is top notch...which, if you study twice a week, should definitely be within your price range (if you prioritize it).

Several years ago when I was doing Krotty, my instructor had two or three "Professional" students...a Lawyer, a Doctor, and an Accountant, I think. Because they made it worth his while, he would schedule private classes with them anywhere from 5 AM to 10 PM...since their schedules were screwy.

Find an instructor and style you like, then see what they can work out with you.

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 11:09pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsmd
    aardvarks--just yesterday I saw a new patient who just moved from Florida, whose mom is a "karate" instructor. They are not yet familiar with local schools/dojos. I do, however, have several other kids who practice MA, mostly in larger surrounding cities, where distance becomes an issue. (I have to be within 30 minutes drive of the hospital when I'm on call.) But if I'm serious about it, I can make it happen. One of my favorite sayings--"if you really want to do it, you'll find a way; if you don't really want to do it, you'll find an excuse."
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/fi...-school-5.html

This is a link to a useful article on selecting a martial arts school.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 12:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam--great article--should be required reading for anyone taking even a passing interest.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234