Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:05am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bedford Hills, NY: Oh crap, looks like my BJJ school is turning into a McDojo.

Granted, it never was a hardcore MMA/BJJ school, but their curriculum never bothered me. Until today.

Check out my school's new site:

http://www.pmaschools.com/bedfordhills/

They just recently changed sponsors, and this is their new site. Before it wasn't much better, but they offered BJJ, Muay Thai and some kung fu stuff for the little ones. Now word on the street is that Muay Thai is out, and Kung Fu is being replaced with Krotty and TKD. What's worse is that BJJ is being condensed from 3 weeknights and a saturday class, to one weeknight and a saturday class.

Oh crap, look at some of the pics on the site:
    http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1173/pma04bpb6.jpg

Oh no! God no!
    http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4963/pma06aar6.jpg

Oh well, looks like it's time to find a new school.
    :sad1:

Their only saving grace, that I can find, is that Premier Martial Arts is one of Hermes Franca's sponsors.

Please offer your condolenses. I need them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:09am

Style: Karate, chang quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey copperpot, on the site I saw a little girl punching a hand pad, I qickly closed the window. I didn't even scroll down.
    You should find a new school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I clicked on the "Instructors section", and the head and assistant instructor are there, but sandwiched in between is this:

Julie Johnson (Instructor in training) Send E-mail to Julie Johnson
    Julie Johnson has numerous credentials and accomplishments. We will be updating this section shortly to detail them.

I figure I'll wait around to check out the new instructor. If she's hot, I'll stay around a couple of weeks to see if she'll be rolling. If not, I'm out like trout.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...the good news is that the head instructor is a three stripe BJJ Purple Belt.

Have you spoken with him? Maybe he'll start a "Grappling School" for all the disenfranchised grappling students. Maybe he'll do privates at a reduced rate for you a select few, since he basically nixed the original program.

If your school is truly assed out...maybe your instructor will refer you to another grappling school and put a good word in for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, this school is about 22 minutes north of where I live, so all that driving after a long day of work was kind of bugging me anyway. There's a Gracie Barra in my city (approx 5-10 mins walking distance), and the head instructor is a Renzo Black belt ( http://www.gbwbjj.com/html/sean_alvarez.html ) so i'm pretty much set.

Also, and I'm serious about this, why would I need the instructor to refer/put a good word in for me? Should I ask him too? Do instructors like that kind of thing? I dunno, as this is the only school I've belonged too. Also, I've only been training BJJ about 9 months.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oops from the 'program' part :

Basic Training Program
    This is a six month program that teaches the students the basic martial arts and self defense techniques including blocks, punches, kicks, and stances. It is a program that allows us to teach the student how to be martial artists, developing them to be a black belt from the inside out.

Black Belt Training Program
    This is a thirty six month program that teaches our students not only the basics of martial arts, but all of the techniques that are necessary to one day become a black belt. This curriculum teaches them all of the striking techniques, patterns, self defense techniques, basic weapons training like the single stick, staff and nunchucku, sparring games and drills, re-breakable boards, needed to become a black belt.

Premier Training Program
    An advanced curriculum that allows a student to begin learning the material needed for their advancement to first degree black belt. Curriculum includes, advanced weapons training of the samurai sword, kamas, competition weapons, and duel weapons training, advanced board breaking, competition level forms and sparring, advanced self defense of stick, knife, and hand gun, and advanced fighting and grappling training.

Leadership Training Program
    Instructor training course that teaches the student the martial arts curriculum and teaching system to make them an official assistant instructors of Premier Martial Arts™. The student would also learn advanced competition martial arts curriculum that would make them eligible for the Premier Martial Arts™ demo team.
    I definetly smell McDojo

If they really remove the Muy Tai and reduce BJJ leave.

Those are the two arts were live sparring happen I supose so if they want to become McDojo let's get the children it make sense not to have those. Scary for the mothers....:qleft7:
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's so weak...THe gracie jiu jitsu program section seems tacked on like an afterthought. Uggh.

You know what my biggest gripe is? How can you teach BJJ and any other fighting style that doesn't stress sparring/live training? It completely goes against the philosphy of why BJJ works! I just can't get past that contradiction.

I'll post an update as to whether the female instructor is hot.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We will demand pictures and video if possible. . . .

--J.D.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I HIGHLY recommend getting a "referral" or having the instructor put in a good word for you IF they know each other.

BJJ schools tend to be relatively high priced...a Black Belt instructor with a solid competition record and a good competition team will definately charge top prices.

In addition, some schools (not all, mind you) tend to use new students as "Grappling Dolls", and hardcore schools often try and get new students to quit.

If your instructor knows someone from this school, a simple call stating, "Hey, I'm referring one of my grappling students to you. He's a good kid with a great attitude that has been loyal to me for years", can immediately influence your new instructor favorably and possibly give you more leeway with pricing.

The grappling community is very small, and in San Diego ALL the BJJ instructors know each other. A simple referral can make your experience a little more comfortable.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    It's so weak...THe gracie jiu jitsu program section seems tacked on like an afterthought. Uggh.

You know what my biggest gripe is? How can you teach BJJ and any other fighting style that doesn't stress sparring/live training? It completely goes against the philosphy of why BJJ works! I just can't get past that contradiction.

I'll post an update as to whether the female instructor is hot.
    I've never understood that myself, it always gets me as well. It's similar to Chuck Norris is a brown belt(may be black already, this is based off bjj.org) under Carlos Machado but yet he pushes that crappy World Combat League. I deal with it at the place I train Jiu-Jitsu at. It's a karate school that has 2x a week of Jiu-Jitsu instruction and 2x a week of MMA instruction.

The problem, once again, isn't always the school, a lot of it has to do with the parents. The schools are a business and as such will do what a business needs to do to stay in business. If the parents had any idea about what martial arts really was about instead of looking for a day care to keep Timmy busy then what you would have is quality programs with quality instructors with the bs removed. The more parents who remove their children from these types of McDojos and place then in the school wrestling program, a local grappling school, boxing or kickboxing(if the Thai kids can start at a young age, so can Timmy) and start to value quality instruction and techniques or kiddy bs then these schools won't have a choice but to shape up or go out of business. As it stands, the ignorence of the parents equals money in the pocket of another sorry martial arts school. Sorry for the rant, that website really ticked me off!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast