Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My experience with Lt. X's videos

I throw myself upon the mercy of all of you, having succumbed to the tantalizing promises of one Lt. X. Quite embarassing for me. I'm such an idiot. However, if anyone is interested in one's opinion regarding the actual content of the videos he oversells, I have a little info.

I have no MA experience whatsoever (so what am I doing here?). My 6 yo son takes Tang Soo Do, mostly for sport and discipline. An ex-jock myself, this garnered my interest in MA as well. Having come across the ubiquitous ads for "Fear No Man", etc. I came upon his quite stellar ad descriptions for Advanced ABC and Mercenary Combatives. I figured, this is obvious hype, but he's awfully good at it. If it's half as good as he claims, it must be pretty awesome. He claims lineage with the (apparently quite controversial) WW2 combatives legacy and Carl Cestari, with many of Cestari's tapes and articles provided with the service. A little research on Cestari found that he seems pretty legit, so I bit on it.

Even someone with no knowledge of what a MA instructional video is supposed to be (like me) could see that these were at least way oversold. Each DVD spends excruciatingly long periods of time going over a single technique again and again, and his verbal explanation only clouded my understanding. It was easier to mute it and just watch the thing. There is a large amount of time wasted in idle chatter with the "trainees" and showing them in bagwork. Many of the DVDs are spent entirely on a single technique or series, thus justifying the vast number of them to sell in the packages. For example, DVD#3 of Merc. Combatives could be summarized entirely by "cover, step, thrust". I admit, I made it through only the first 4 of the 12 included with MC. I got more info from the first Cestari tape included with the 1st month's service (the availablility of which at least provides some positive to the whole thing).

By no means am I claiming authority as an expert critic--on the contrary.

On the other hand, having read much criticism regarding their customer service, I must say that having called and cancelled my membership to the "Legion Inner Circle" and requesting a refund for the returned products, they agreed. We'll see if it actually happens.

Just thought this experience might be enlightening to others.

Allow me to brace for my beat-down.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:17pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You moron.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For shame. You did it willingly. At least I was forced to watch LT X's DVDs.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know. Live and learn. I am neither MA savvy nor internet savvy.
    Naive? yes. Moron? I take issue. I'm a board-certified physician, actually.
    Mistake? No doubt.

Another good thing was the CD-ROM with several old combatives documents (ie "Kill or get killed", army/marine field manuals, etc.).

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsmd
    I'm a board-certified physician, actually.

Pshhhh, yeah. Pediatrics. Whatever, that's like being a vet.

(You asked for this, you realize.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I asked for it. However, I'll venture to say I have more respect for your profession (military) than you seem to have for mine. That's fine. That attitude seems to change when someone's own child is critically ill, however. I'll take my encouragment from those who actually know what medicine is about.

BTW, I completely respect and honor you and any and all military servicemen and women. My father was a retired Master Seargent, Airborne, veteran of Korea, Vietnam, and the Dominican. I'd be thrilled if I'm ever half the man my dad was.

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice information.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsmd
    Yeah, I asked for it. However, I'll venture to say I have more respect for your profession (military) than you seem to have for mine. That's fine. That attitude seems to change when someone's own child is critically ill, however. I'll take my encouragment from those who actually know what medicine is about.

BTW, I completely respect and honor you and any and all military servicemen and women. My father was a retired Master Seargent, Airborne, veteran of Korea, Vietnam, and the Dominican. I'd be thrilled if I'm ever half the man my dad was.
    Hey man, I'm seriously just kidding and I apologize if I offended you. God knows I stayed with my pediatrician until I was 19. It takes a special and gentle soul to heal a sick child and to help the very sick ones against long odds. So please, take my ribbing in the spirit of sarcasm.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGOON. Ok, The lack of nuances and non-verbal communication in this forum makes interpretation difficult. Please accept my apologies. Fire away!

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't , now I feel bad.:llorar:
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast