Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 3:34pm

Style: Krav Maga, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Waikru

This school is totally cool, originally I had set out to just check this school out, as a stop over after going back to restart my Krav Maga education (Level 3) and I saw this place on the web and it was near my house. I have had many years of collegiate wrestling, been to a "Shaolin Kempo" school, been to two different Chinese Martial Arts schools and found my original styles (wrestling) and Krav Maga more effective and better exercise.

When I arrived at Waikru I was met by a cool guy who asked me if I wanted to try a day for free, I figured one class, and 3 hours later I was still there, I had already learned the triangle and kimura by the time I left as well as passing a half guard. the strikes were similar to Krav Maga so it is good for me. This school has amazing hours, 12:00 - 22:00 everyday, except Sunday when they are open for four hours for the Boston Union Wrestling club and all comers. This is way cooler than any dojo or dojang in this town, the clientele range from students to stockbrokers.

This place is amazing, they are a fighter's gym, there are women and men on the mats and in the octagon (we have an octagon). They have a full gym with weights and aerobic machines and of course lots of bags. There is always a trainer on duty to help you out and motivate when neccessary. I manage to get there just about everyday for a few hours, mostly Muay Thai for me, I have a Krav Maga instructor class coming up in January and the owner is preparing me for it physically, the Muay Thai and ring time really help. I'll have a few surprises of my own come January (exam time).

This place is a dream for people who like to fight and/or just get into fighting shape, both men and women.

I have now been there for a couple of months and go 5 - 6 days a week, my skills and conditioning have improved tremendously and continue to improve daily as Kru John keeps an eye on all his students and knows what each one needs. I have seen him do some amazing things with people, including me.

Last edited by mfk3; 11/09/2007 8:53pm at .

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:34pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waikru is a great gym with great instructors and the atmosphere is something you won't find in many martial arts gyms or dojos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree, Waikru is a great gym with great instructors, we all get personal training and the staff is friendly and great at motivating. I can't think of a day I leave there without something in addition to sweaty clothes and a smile. Kru Jon is a really bright and perceptive guide to Muay Thai. Alex Costa, the grappling instructor is a two time NAGA champion and a really nice guy, in addition to being awarded his black belt in BJJ by Carlos Gracie, Jr.

They have a great schedule 12:00 to 22:00 hours. Like any gym, you get out what you put in, and they really get you to put in. It's always a good time. Every time I go in, I come out with some new skill , a great workout and a smile. Ok, some sweaty clothes as well.
    Last edited by mfk3; 10/11/2007 8:15am at .

:)

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell of a gym. Turns out I know quite a few people who train there. Great instructors, good space, a fucking cage....and the most helpful attitude make this one of the area's premier martial arts gyms.

AND hosting our Boston throwdowns is teh cool!

Don't know about weapons, but the striking/grappling instruction is A-O-K!

EDIT I've changed my review scores to reflect them getting a boxing ring, in addition to their cage, and having a more complete understanding of how much ass they kick.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 3/16/2008 11:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, they have it all. Wouldn't train anywhere else, they know how to train students...

A good time is always had. Matter of fact. cya there tomorrow, Sunday.

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 12:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be through during the week, to tune up for the throwdown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 7:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta love this, we are all total PFT/Fight lovers and we all love the place. Kru John has done a good job.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 8:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's gonna have some of his guys come to the throwdown on sat. I'm looking forward to getting own3d big time. A learning experience though. I'll take my b3atings, it pays off, if I take the right lessons from it.

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    having Boston Union wrestling come through on Saturdays is a big advantage for them too, really helps their jiujitsu guys with takedowns and takedown defense.