Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 1:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bucksam Kong Hung Gar

What does anyone know about Bucksam Kong's Hung Gar school in LA? Is it taught in an effective manner, i.e., real training for the streets as well as TCMA stuff?

Any and all info would be most appreciated.

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 8:17am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been there myself, but one of my students studied there for a while, and she was very comfortable sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 11:19am

Style: Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good day manga.

I train under Sifu Don Morrison from SiGung Kong's line (First generation). In my opinion you will not find a better mix of traditional Martial Arts anywhere. The mix of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut gives a good balance of both short and long range styles, which gives the student a well rounded workout as well as a very complete art.

If you are looking for a Traditional Martial Art, there are some good reasons to try Sigung's school.

1. As far as I understand, he still teaches traditional, just as he was tought (maybe small changes to keep up with the times.).

2. The conditioning that comes with traditional training is very good for both short term (within the first few months) self defence benefits as well as the long term health benefits.

3. If you value Tradition as most who train Kung Fu of any kind, Sigun Kong is removed from Wong Fei Hung only by Lam Sai Wing and Lam Jo, so the tradition of our present day system is still very fresh in this line.

To add to this from a common sense point of view, Buck Sam Kong has to be one of, if not THE most famous name in Hung Gar (of those still living) today. This alone tells you that it is a good choice for Traditional Martial Arts.

Of course you have to keep in mind that Hung Gar, like any other Martial art (or life skill for that matter), will give you what you put into it. My bottom line advise would be to go to his website at: http://www.bucksamkongkungfu.com/home.html , get the phone number from the bottom left of the page and give him a call.

Hope this has helped, Good day and God bless,,
    John Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by manga2007
    What does anyone know about Bucksam Kong's Hung Gar school in LA? Is it taught in an effective manner, i.e., real training for the streets as well as TCMA stuff?

Any and all info would be most appreciated.

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 2:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John:

Quote Originally Posted by hunggar_student
    Good day manga.

I train under Sifu Don Morrison from SiGung Kong's line (First generation). In my opinion you will not find a better mix of traditional Martial Arts anywhere. The mix of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut gives a good balance of both short and long range styles, which gives the student a well rounded workout as well as a very complete art.

If you are looking for a Traditional Martial Art, there are some good reasons to try Sigung's school.

<snip>
    John Miller.
    Thank you for your input. I do value tradition. I also want to be sure that I can defend myself. There are some kinds of kung fu that it seems they get their assess handed to them when they get in a fight because of what they were taught. I want to be sure that this does not happen in SiGung Kong's school. I am not interested in getting into fights at all, but I want to know I have had effective training in addition to traditional.

BTW, do you have any idea what tuition is (approximately) at SiGung Kong's school?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John:

Thank you for your input. I do value tradition. I also want to be sure that I can defend myself. There are some kinds of kung fu that it seems they get their assess handed to them when they get in a fight because of what they were taught. I want to be sure that this does not happen in SiGung Kong's school. I am not interested in getting into fights at all, but I want to know I have had effective training in addition to traditional.

BTW, do you have any idea what tuition is (approximately) at SiGung Kong's school?
    just want to point out that it's silly for you to call sifu kong "sigung" as he isn't YOUR sigung. john who posted above is correctly referring to sifu kong as "sigung" because mr. kong is his sifu's sifu.

if you were to train there, you would call him "sifu"

it's generally normal to refer to a teacher from another CMA school as "sifu ___" out of respect, but calling them sigung is just a wrong use of the term.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 1:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello again, sorry for the delay, been busy.

I would not know the fee's at Sigung's school, but you should give him a call or stop by and see him for that information.

As for the self defence aspect, yes, the techniques are very effective, and have served me on more than one occassion. The most important lesson I have learned was just dont fight if you can help it at all, that keeps you out of trouble.

Overalll I would say it would be worth your while to make a visit to the Kwoon and see first hand.

Thank you and God bless,,
    John Miller.
    John:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 7:56pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunggar_student
    Hello again, sorry for the delay, been busy.

I would not know the fee's at Sigung's school, but you should give him a call or stop by and see him for that information.

As for the self defence aspect, yes, the techniques are very effective, and have served me on more than one occassion. The most important lesson I have learned was just dont fight if you can help it at all, that keeps you out of trouble.

Overalll I would say it would be worth your while to make a visit to the Kwoon and see first hand.

John Miller.
    Let's say somone does choose to visit the school. Exactly what will they see?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your question would be better directed to someone who has trained directly under Sigung, I am second generation from him, not to mention halfway across the country.

All the information I have off the top of my head is contained in my first post, for more info I would still suggest speaking with Sigung.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by LowwerWay
    Let's say somone does choose to visit the school. Exactly what will they see?