Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why Choose Kung Fu Spill Off

Quote Originally Posted by burritopunk
    I am still looking for a Sifu, but I choose kung-fu due to the cultural history of it, and the philosophy of CMA. The classical aspect is just so appealing to me. I can't wait to get started!
    Is it that you never trained hung gar, just "chose " it and are trying to find somebody who'll actually teach you, or you used to train under somebody and were forced to look for a new instructor?
    Or are you joking?
    Sorry, I'm not getting it from your post.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pakua den kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all my respect, "quick to learn and effective in a fight" what does it mean?! What are you searching for in martial art? Only violence to destroy other people. I’m sure of a fact there is no martial art witch is easy to learn and so effective at the end of a first lesson. Did you know that there are more than 300 different styles of kung-fu in China??
    You asked me "why Kung-fu?". Because it teaches you the hardness of life, to never retreat during a fight and to respect all the other styles. I have also practiced Jui-jitsu and i can tell you that is not so far, an idea is shared, it's "attack in the attack is the best defence". The matter is not the art, the matter is the student.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me the CMA have more "soul" than a number of the other TMA's that I originally researched. By "soul" I mean a deeper theoretical base, more of a circular and connected flow, and a wide range of expressions.

Honestly, the therapeutic aspects of internal Chinese martial arts also offer a lot of benefits (though this should not be taken as I think that the core focus of CMA are therapeutic).

And, at least for me, I've found that my training in them has provided me with a strong enough base that I have been able to jump to other forms of Martial Arts with relative ease.
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    For me the CMA have more "soul" than a number of the other TMA's that I originally researched. By "soul" I mean a deeper theoretical base, more of a circular and connected flow, and a wide range of expressions.

Honestly, the therapeutic aspects of internal Chinese martial arts also offer a lot of benefits (though this should not be taken as I think that the core focus of CMA are therapeutic).

And, at least for me, I've found that my training in them has provided me with a strong enough base that I have been able to jump to other forms of Martial Arts with relative ease.
    I agree with you, but in fact the external & internal forms are not dissociable, and it not makes the difference between japonese or chinese styles, but between a good teacher and an other. i have learned different styles; Vietnamese, Japanese and Chinese. And at each time i have chosen a sifu or a senseď who taught the tchi or the ki.

Sincerely Ulysse

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 8:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Is it that you never trained hung gar, just "chose " it and are trying to find somebody who'll actually teach you, or you used to train under somebody and were forced to look for a new instructor?
    Or are you joking?
    Sorry, I'm not getting it from your post.
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear. I haven't studied before, so basically I would like to study Hung Gar, and am looking for a school. I think, however, I'm going to take Wing Chun in the meantime, due to no HG schools around the area. I like both styles, and just want to get my foot in the door with something.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's a good thig to be open minded, but i hope you know hung gar & wing chun (wing stun) are very diffrent. the first one is the ancestor of karaté & the second one a close range technics. very diffrent in way and fact.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:52am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chose kung fu because it looks cool. I would like to learn 'White Eyebrow' because not only does it look cool, the name sounds cool. I wish I had really long white eyebrows, like in the kung fu movies.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 1:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chose Kung Fu after training for a couple of years in Shotokan. I was drawn to Kung Fu's fluidity of motion. Shotokan was cool, but it "felt" wrong for me. I like Kung Fu's circular movements and it's emphasis on breaking your opponent's balance.

software engineer

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut
    I chose Kung Fu after training for a couple of years in Shotokan. I was drawn to Kung Fu's fluidity of motion. Shotokan was cool, but it "felt" wrong for me. I like Kung Fu's circular movements and it's emphasis on breaking your opponent's balance.
    In sparring or in forms?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    In sparring or in forms?
    Sparring. To be honest, forms seem like a waste of time to me. I do them anyway; tradition and all. There is some benefit to forms of course, but in my opinion, the time & energy would be better spent doing additional drills or more sparring.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast