Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round supporting member
    Fighting Cephalopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,981
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Wrestling close to Henderson's?
    Jackson may not have the wrestling credentials that Henderson does, but after completely outwrestling Randleman and Arona and taking down Lindland several times, I don't think that saying his wrestling is close to Hendersons in MMA is too outrageous a statement.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    240
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    they keep changing the story - first it was the ufc belt, then it was non title - but the latest word i've heard is that it's a full on unification match. which is idiocy.
    I think it comes down to whether they're going to keep the Pride FC brand. They initially seemed pretty confident that they were going to keep it and, thus, reasonably wanted to keep the belts separate. Now, they're not so sure.

  3. #13
    Tangerine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE Island
    Posts
    216
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maurice
    I think it comes down to whether they're going to keep the Pride FC brand. They initially seemed pretty confident that they were going to keep it and, thus, reasonably wanted to keep the belts separate. Now, they're not so sure.
    From Wikipedia:

    If Henderson manages to win this fight, he would have been the only MMA fighter in history to hold 3 belts at any one time. Since Dana white decided that both titles will be unified, Henderson will still be stuck with 2 if he wins.


    Just imagine Henderson defending three titles...So will they do this with the other weight divisions, too?

  4. #14
    CNagy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    982
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine
    Just imagine Henderson defending three titles...So will they do this with the other weight divisions, too?
    It's not pretty. Imagine one person trying to defend three titles. The training time, the recovery time, the preparation for the next title defense. Now imagine how many fewer title shots we'll see due to that. Not to mention a significant injury (either during a title match or during training) could lead to as many as three titles being vacated.

  5. #15
    Coach Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think this proves another thing about Americans. Not to bash any other nationality but given the circumstances Hendo and Rampage have rose to the tops of one of the most grueling sports with very little "martial arts" background. These gentlemen have proven once again that given the opportunity to become something Americans can rise above and get it done.

    I have always believed that there is a reason Couture fought in UFC and Hendo in Pride. Hendo is just that much better than Couture. I am not bashing Randy so don't start. Hendo is a certified bad ass and will get the win over Rampage. Given the time Hendo has had to prepare and the state of mind he is in now that MMA is his profession of choice not wrestling we can expect a stellar performance from him. It will not be a cake walk mind you. It will be a war and I see Hendo coming out on top with a decision.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Within view of the flagpole...
    Posts
    299
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    It's not pretty. Imagine one person trying to defend three titles. The training time, the recovery time, the preparation for the next title defense. Now imagine how many fewer title shots we'll see due to that. Not to mention a significant injury (either during a title match or during training) could lead to as many as three titles being vacated.
    I actually don't think that it will be so difficult for Henderson to defend two of those titles, at least not until there's actually a Pride to fight in... We've heard plenty of buzz, but until I see the "homecoming show", I'm not even considering it to exist any longer.

    And, yes, it HAS been over a year since the last time I posted.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will be a tight matchup, but I think people are underestimating the improvement in Jackson's training since he came back to North America. Jackson's athleticism and the fact that his fight weight is a lot heavier than Henderson's will negate Henderson's wrestling skills, but these are two guys that can end a fight with one punch.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    208
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    "Better" boxing isn't what it is really about. Liddell has **** boxing but is very effective in MMA. Vanderlei is fairly wild and does things you wouldn't do in MT or K1 but is effective in MMA.
    I think that Rampage will win, but not solely because of "better" boxing.
    Uh, did you just bring up Liddell's superior MMA striking in a thread about Rampage? I don't think Rampage will win "solely" because of boxing: I was just arguing that his technique and chin make a one-punch knockout from even Henderson unlikely.

  9. #19
    UpaLumpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To an extent and not solely for the irony. The point is that "clean" boxing isn't always what matters. Liddell has **** boxing but has been effective, Vanderlei isn't very, well, refined and been effective. Same for scores of others. The point is you can't look at solely one aspect.

  10. #20
    Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Ke?poFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,920
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Personally I think this proves another thing about Americans. Not to bash any other nationality but given the circumstances Hendo and Rampage have rose to the tops of one of the most grueling sports with very little "martial arts" background. These gentlemen have proven once again that given the opportunity to become something Americans can rise above and get it done.

    I have always believed that there is a reason Couture fought in UFC and Hendo in Pride. Hendo is just that much better than Couture. I am not bashing Randy so don't start. Hendo is a certified bad ass and will get the win over Rampage. Given the time Hendo has had to prepare and the state of mind he is in now that MMA is his profession of choice not wrestling we can expect a stellar performance from him. It will not be a cake walk mind you. It will be a war and I see Hendo coming out on top with a decision.
    I like how you write in non-sequitur fashion
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee


Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO