Posted On:
    8/21/2007 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Wrestling close to Henderson's?
    Jackson may not have the wrestling credentials that Henderson does, but after completely outwrestling Randleman and Arona and taking down Lindland several times, I don't think that saying his wrestling is close to Hendersons in MMA is too outrageous a statement.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 1:31pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    they keep changing the story - first it was the ufc belt, then it was non title - but the latest word i've heard is that it's a full on unification match. which is idiocy.
    I think it comes down to whether they're going to keep the Pride FC brand. They initially seemed pretty confident that they were going to keep it and, thus, reasonably wanted to keep the belts separate. Now, they're not so sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 9:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maurice
    I think it comes down to whether they're going to keep the Pride FC brand. They initially seemed pretty confident that they were going to keep it and, thus, reasonably wanted to keep the belts separate. Now, they're not so sure.
    From Wikipedia:

If Henderson manages to win this fight, he would have been the only MMA fighter in history to hold 3 belts at any one time. Since Dana white decided that both titles will be unified, Henderson will still be stuck with 2 if he wins.

Just imagine Henderson defending three titles...So will they do this with the other weight divisions, too?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 10:13pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine
    Just imagine Henderson defending three titles...So will they do this with the other weight divisions, too?
    It's not pretty. Imagine one person trying to defend three titles. The training time, the recovery time, the preparation for the next title defense. Now imagine how many fewer title shots we'll see due to that. Not to mention a significant injury (either during a title match or during training) could lead to as many as three titles being vacated.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 8:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think this proves another thing about Americans. Not to bash any other nationality but given the circumstances Hendo and Rampage have rose to the tops of one of the most grueling sports with very little "martial arts" background. These gentlemen have proven once again that given the opportunity to become something Americans can rise above and get it done.

I have always believed that there is a reason Couture fought in UFC and Hendo in Pride. Hendo is just that much better than Couture. I am not bashing Randy so don't start. Hendo is a certified bad ass and will get the win over Rampage. Given the time Hendo has had to prepare and the state of mind he is in now that MMA is his profession of choice not wrestling we can expect a stellar performance from him. It will not be a cake walk mind you. It will be a war and I see Hendo coming out on top with a decision.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 1:57pm

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    It's not pretty. Imagine one person trying to defend three titles. The training time, the recovery time, the preparation for the next title defense. Now imagine how many fewer title shots we'll see due to that. Not to mention a significant injury (either during a title match or during training) could lead to as many as three titles being vacated.
    I actually don't think that it will be so difficult for Henderson to defend two of those titles, at least not until there's actually a Pride to fight in... We've heard plenty of buzz, but until I see the "homecoming show", I'm not even considering it to exist any longer.

And, yes, it HAS been over a year since the last time I posted.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will be a tight matchup, but I think people are underestimating the improvement in Jackson's training since he came back to North America. Jackson's athleticism and the fact that his fight weight is a lot heavier than Henderson's will negate Henderson's wrestling skills, but these are two guys that can end a fight with one punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 3:01pm

Style: GJJ beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    "Better" boxing isn't what it is really about. Liddell has **** boxing but is very effective in MMA. Vanderlei is fairly wild and does things you wouldn't do in MT or K1 but is effective in MMA.
    I think that Rampage will win, but not solely because of "better" boxing.
    Uh, did you just bring up Liddell's superior MMA striking in a thread about Rampage? I don't think Rampage will win "solely" because of boxing: I was just arguing that his technique and chin make a one-punch knockout from even Henderson unlikely.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To an extent and not solely for the irony. The point is that "clean" boxing isn't always what matters. Liddell has **** boxing but has been effective, Vanderlei isn't very, well, refined and been effective. Same for scores of others. The point is you can't look at solely one aspect.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Personally I think this proves another thing about Americans. Not to bash any other nationality but given the circumstances Hendo and Rampage have rose to the tops of one of the most grueling sports with very little "martial arts" background. These gentlemen have proven once again that given the opportunity to become something Americans can rise above and get it done.

I have always believed that there is a reason Couture fought in UFC and Hendo in Pride. Hendo is just that much better than Couture. I am not bashing Randy so don't start. Hendo is a certified bad ass and will get the win over Rampage. Given the time Hendo has had to prepare and the state of mind he is in now that MMA is his profession of choice not wrestling we can expect a stellar performance from him. It will not be a cake walk mind you. It will be a war and I see Hendo coming out on top with a decision.
    I like how you write in non-sequitur fashion
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast