Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 9:24am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    How uncommon is ground work in aikido?
    We do a little - before discovering bullshido and having no previous knowlege of mma - if I had seen a triangle choke or someone pull guard- I would have called that aikido?!. The first time I came across these sort of things was in the dojo I go to. Oh, and in case you asked the ground work consists of drills (at my level). I train in aikikai (a Chiba sensei led branch)
    Do other styles do alot?
    Chiba sensei and you thought pulling guard was aikido??? I think you are confusing tricks and demonstrations with the things you should really be learning from that shihan.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn't. The inclusion of his name is to clarify what particular branch of aikido I'm training in.
    Maybe, I didn't make myself clear
    We don't do much 'ground work' (a little)
    The rest of the post was me having a little chuckle at myself. Imagine, for a short time it would have been possible for me to watch UFC (if I had at that time) and say oh look - aikido.
    That should raise a few smiles

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:14pm

Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Help! Humm needed!

My history of Aikido is VERY shaky, but I think we need to separate out what Aikido comprises.

Now, my Sensei told me that when he trained in Japan under Shioda, all the techniques were listed around the wall of the dojo and either the instructor pointed at the relevant one to be practiced, or pointed and demonstrated.

The number of techniques (attack and defence combinations) is not known to me. However, I know of no 'groundwork' per se, just techniques from suwari (kneeling) which may end up with a throw or pin.

However, the head of my style (Shudokan, an offshoot of Yoshinkan) was first of all a Judoka under Mifune. The International Co-ordinator was also a Judoka and Karateka. My club Sensei was a Shotokan karate guy.

Our style was not concerned (as opposed to Koryu Daito Ryu etc.) in preserving the original techniques in stone. Apart from the formal (Yoshinkan in essence) syllabus, we were encouraged to practice 'freestyle' and bring whatever experience we had to bear on testing the techniques, introduce modern weapons etc. In this situation, we used all manner of other MA techniques, but in gradings had to show a wide range of 'Aikido' techniques as a sound base.

This is not to be confused with McDojo clubs which invent a package of **** and sell it to you under the 'Aikido' label, or those who pretend 'aikido' is a state of mind and want to sell you an ego massage and psychobabble 'ki development'.

Hope that makes sense. In short, Aikido has little groundwork or convincing atemi (as maybe these were taken for granted originally) Styles and clubs seem to add whatever floats their boat to spice it up, and sometimes fail to say: 'This is not Aikido but it's useful for us to practice x, y and z.'
    Last edited by kiaiki; 10/24/2007 12:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    sounds like you still have the aikido spirit...or you're high.:love4:
    Hahaha, good guess! I was a little drunk when I wrote that. :drunken_s

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiaiki
    Help! Humm needed! . . . . . . . . . .

My history of Aikido is VERY shaky, but I think we need to separate out what Aikido comprises.

Now, my Sensei told me that when he trained in Japan under Shioda, all the techniques were listed around the wall of the dojo and either the instructor pointed at the relevant one to be practiced, or pointed and demonstrated.

The number of techniques (attack and defence combinations) is not known to me. However, I know of no 'groundwork' per se, just techniques from suwari (kneeling) which may end up with a throw, lock or pin.

However, the head of my style (Shudokan, an offshoot of Yoshinkan) was first of all a Judoka under Mifune. The International Co-ordinator was also a former boxer, Judoka and Karateka. My club Sensei was a Shotokan karate guy.

Our style was not concerned (as opposed to Koryu Daito Ryu etc.) with only preserving the original techniques in stone. Apart from the formal (Yoshinkan in essence) syllabus, we were encouraged to practice 'freestyle' and bring whatever experience we had to bear on testing the techniques, introduce modern weapons etc. In this situation, we used all manner of other MA techniques, but in gradings had to show a wide range of 'Aikido' techniques as a sound base.

This is not to be confused with McDojo clubs which invent a package of **** and sell it to you under the 'Aikido' label, or those who pretend 'ai ki do' is a state of mind and want to sell you an ego massage and psychobabble 'ki development'.

Hope that makes sense. In short, Aikido has little groundwork or convincing atemi (as maybe these were taken for granted originally) Styles and clubs seem to add whatever floats their boat to spice it up, and sometimes fail to say: 'This is not Aikido but it's useful for us to practice x, y and z.'
    EDITED FOR MUD-LIKE CLARITY

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Help! Humm needed!

Moi ?

There's only three r3aL techniques anyone ever needs to know.

Take note fuckos I won't be repeating this:

1. Eye gouge
    2. Throat jab
    3. Groin strike
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aha - but the evil groin strike won't work on eunuchs and those trained to tuck their balls back up into their bodies. Swift poll: How many of you know that a groin strike works against women? When is it useful? Hen nights - dreaded by bouncers (assuming they fail to get off with any of the pissed-up tarts).

Or..........those who never had any balls and study Ki Aikido (I'd say Iwama but I'll take your word for its efficacy! ;) )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    Moi ?

There's only three r3aL techniques anyone ever needs to know.

Take note fuckos I won't be repeating this:

1. Eye shag
    2. Throat tickle
    3. Groin strain
    Aha - but the evil groin strike won't work on eunuchs and those trained to tuck their balls back up into their bodies. Swift poll: How many of you know that a groin strike works against women? When is it useful? Hen nights - dreaded by bouncers (assuming they fail to get off with any of the pissed-up tarts).

Or..........those who never had any balls and study Ki Aikido (I'd say Iwama but I'll take your word for its efficacy! ;) )

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 1:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have proof
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye.bmp 
Views:	106 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	8495  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throat.bmp 
Views:	105 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	8496  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balls.bmp 
Views:	98 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	8497  

"To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:06pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Help! Humm needed!

If that was directed my way, I didn't mean to imply that Shodokan tries to use ground work per say. But in our version of some of the hand and elbow techniquees from standing end with uke on the ground pinned. E.g., udegaeshi's second to last step is exactly the same as ude garami/americana in Judo/BJJ, except nage is on the same side on his knees. Not trying to imply that Aikido = ground fighting, but stating with some basic knowledge of grappling its easy to apply weight to uke's chest so he can't arch with the crank, resulting in the exact same thing as the Judo/BJJ submission.
    Last edited by golsa; 10/24/2007 8:14pm at .