223755 Bullies, 3788 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 661 to 670 of 703
Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667 68697071 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:29am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I'm pretty sure that nothing in aikido is going to be of any help during BJJ grappling.
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
  2. hl1978 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:36am


     Style: Aunkai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I'm pretty sure that nothing in aikido is going to be of any help during BJJ grappling.
    Breakfalls?

    How to tie a gi?
  3. Bahuyuddha is offline
    Bahuyuddha's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    787

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:01am


     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I did aikido for a month. The people were obnoxious, arrogant and condescending. They lived in a fantsy land based on self-delusion and compliant training. Maybe all aikido isn't like that, but it was enough for me.
    OMG I have found my support group at last!

    I practiced Aikido for about 10 weeks. Yes you guessed it, one quarter at a local junior college. I was talked into it by a friend who was taking courses there at the time, in addition to Aikido.

    Actually, I don't think I made it all the way through the quarter. Lots of attitude and superiority complexes. I stopped going some time shortly after one of the "advanced" students told me I "have no ki," while I was trying to learn some new technique (which I have now safely erased from memory). That was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I was emotionally scarred by that class, and now I have found kindred spirits here on Bullshido (ok I'm exaggerating, but suffice it to say that I have no regrets for leaving).

    Actually, my friend still does Aikido (at a different dojo) and says he loves it. I think it's great for some people, just not for me.

    GROUP HUG!
  4. kiaiki is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    556

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:29am


     Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    And after doing aikido for 20 years and having very little "grappling" experience, I will testify to waht teh v!RuS states is factual.
    uuuh. In 20 years of Aikido you never learned to choke or strangle, or put on armlocks, even the dreaded 'armbar'?

    I know Aikido sucks against some grappling arts once on the ground, but this is not due to a lack of locks, chokes etc. I put much of the weakness down to there being little or no practice on the ground involving the legs, either in gaining position or in applying a technique such as a triangle choke, or even getting into position to apply an armbar.

    The actual 'struggle' element of grappling, IMHO, would also leave many Aikidoka shocked, as the nearest many get is suwari-waza defences against a very limited range of attacks. There's no reason these should not be resisted strongly, but I have rarely seen any struggle.

    None of the above is surprising as all MA's have weaknesses - a sure argument for cross training to fill in the gaps. I'm certainly not the best person to comment, as I have rusty skills from Judo.

    (Don't know how these things are worded in BJJ but I was always told a choke cut off the air supply and a strangle cut off the circulation. Googling around these terms now seem to be used pretty loosely.)

    I would still defend yonkajo as it does not rely on wrist manipulation - it is a nerve attack and a good painful one at that, and will work on radius, ulna, shin etc. I am not arguing that you will always have the opportunity, as that is down to relative skills etc.

    Note: if you go to an Aikido class and they start talking about your 'ki', have no challenging striking or weapons work - walk!
    Last edited by kiaiki; 10/24/2007 8:36am at .
  5. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,057

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 5:35am

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha

    GROUP HUG!
    sounds like you still have the aikido spirit...or you're high.:love4:
  6. golsa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    227

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 6:54am


     Style: sport Aikido & Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiaiki
    None of the above is surprising as all MA's have weaknesses - a sure argument for cross training to fill in the gaps. I'm certainly not the best person to comment, as I have rusty skills from Judo.
    That's interesting, as my understanding of Ueshiba was that he *only* took students that had generally trained in another martial art, which was generally Judo.
  7. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 7:30am


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    That's interesting, as my understanding of Ueshiba was that he *only* took students that had generally trained in another martial art, which was generally Judo.

    That's not what he told me. :icon_scra
  8. kiaiki is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    556

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:35am


     Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    That's interesting, as my understanding of Ueshiba was that he *only* took students that had generally trained in another martial art, which was generally Judo.
    Don't know if it was ALL. However, the fact that neither striking nor groundwork appear very strongly as elements of Aikido does point to the assumption that the students already knew them and could test the Aikido they learned pretty rigorously.

    Lots of people focus on the pics of O Sensei as an old man in his 'mini Gandalf wizard' era and conclude that's the 'real Aikido'. However, early pics show a powerful physique more than capable of kicking ass IMHO.

    A major weakness of modern day Aikido clubs is that it they attempt to teach defences against atemi (strikes) chokes etc. but do not teach effective attacks. Hence a downward spiral ending up with what I call the 'twirly whirly' ineffective responses to ineffective attacks.

    Having made the point that Aikido seems only to understand legs as things to balance on, having no use for them in groundwork etc., it is also true IMHO to say that attacking kicks and defences against them are also pretty ineffectual. (For example, the defence focuses entirely on the crappy kick and forgets that the guy has arms and fists as well. )
  9. catch22 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    65

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:47am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How uncommon is ground work in aikido?
    We do a little - before discovering bullshido and having no previous knowlege of mma - if I had seen a triangle choke or someone pull guard- I would have called that aikido?!. The first time I came across these sort of things was in the dojo I go to. Oh, and in case you asked the ground work consists of drills (at my level). I train in aikikai (a Chiba sensei led branch)
    Do other styles do alot?
  10. golsa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    227

    Posted On:
    10/24/2007 9:19am


     Style: sport Aikido & Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    How uncommon is ground work in aikido?
    We do a little - before discovering bullshido and having no previous knowlege of mma - if I had seen a triangle choke or someone pull guard- I would have called that aikido?!. The first time I came across these sort of things was in the dojo I go to. Oh, and in case you asked the ground work consists of drills (at my level). I train in aikikai (a Chiba sensei led branch)
    Do other styles do alot?
    Honestly, I don't know how common it is because Shodokan is all I've trained in and my current club is my only Aikido experience. We don't do a whole lot because of the sport emphasis, but we touch on it because it makes sense to for self defense purposes. Guess it helps that our sensei holds 3rd dan in Judo. I'm sure it was more common in the past because the majority of last generation's Aikido big names held at least shodan in Judo.

    Club members themselves may be the best source for helping others learn strikes & ground work because the majority of martial artists have at least some experience in other arts. We mess around with other stuff quite a lot because other members have experience in TKD, Judo, wrestling, Karate, we have a former marine with MCMAPS training, and my background is from mixed martial art schools for lack of a better term.

    Otherwise, ground work should be at least somewhat intuative to people with some type of grappling background. The human body works the same no matter what method of grappling you were taught and really the only difference is what their rules allowed. The principles of say shomenate work fine for escaping a standing headlock, providing you take the time to practice such things. Others include executing udegaeshi (which could have been an oshitaoshi armbar depending on how much trouble uke gave you) and finishing it with a knee compression to the torso & torq on the arm (resulting in pretty much an americana from your knees instead of side mount) instead of pinning the arm & an atemi to the face. The bare bone basics of ground fighting certainly are in Aikido, its just a matter of playing with variations instead of doing kata all day.
    Last edited by golsa; 10/24/2007 9:44am at .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.