Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:03pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus
    You need to explain how the physical act of a *key words>>> martial art is learning not how to hurt.
    On the fly, it is the physical act of martial arts techinques being applied in such a way to satisfy the underlying principle of not hurting the other person. Martial strategy doesn't always involve the annihilation of an enemy. Sometimes it's about descalation of hostilities. If I'm not trying to seriously hurt the other guy while not getting seriously hurt myself, I am trying to descalate.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus
    What many (if not almost all) aikidoka fail to grasp is that ideology and philosophy should be developed through continuous physical training which serves a useful purpose.
    I agree. The physical training I do serves a useful purpose while developing the ideology and philosophy more fully for myself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Seriously, what the hell is it with Aikido and starting threads?
    Is it some secret technique that makes you think "I'm gonna blend with the forum. I'm harmoniously clicking the new thread button and I'm typing something non-violent, yet (I hope) engaging"?

It's the hakama, isn't it? Something mesmerising about those special pantaloons?
    It's the seasons. I swear we get WT season, Aikido Season, Kung Fu season, and a small break every year.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont think nutcases have seasons it is fake, its more like holiday season and the staff at the mental hospitals arent that sharp and leave the computerrooms unlocked.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrigible 1
    On the fly, it is the physical act of martial arts techinques being applied in such a way to satisfy the underlying principle of not hurting the other person. Martial strategy doesn't always involve the annihilation of an enemy. Sometimes it's about descalation of hostilities. If I'm not trying to seriously hurt the other guy while not getting seriously hurt myself, I am trying to descalate. I agree. The physical training I do serves a useful purpose while developing the ideology and philosophy more fully for myself.
    Actually .. that was an excellent retort so, I have another question, whilst you have adopted this particular ideology toward your training (one which I have no major issues with at the moment) Do you train to have the ability to severly injure your opponent if the circumstances required it ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:11pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Yeah, but if someone decides to take that freedom away from you... wouldn't knowing how to smash their stupid faces in while breaking their wrists, fingers etc be a bit more useful than a jolly little bit of tai sabaki and a "hey, let's meditate on this guys"?
    If someone tries to take that freedom away from me, isn't it just as useful to be able to evade, disrupt, and pitch them away from me? Don't necessarily feel like I need to meditate with 'em, but I would like to not resort to "smash[ing] their stupid faces in".

It's not an invalid response. Just a different one.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, I'm not interested in kicking ass, and trying to learn how not to hurt the other guy appeals to me.
    Every BJJ blue belt I know would be profoundly fucking embarrassed if they couldn't control an untrained guy without hurting him.

I'd like to suggest that, if you don't want to cause injury, a gentle double leg->side control is actually a better option than ballistic joint locks. What happens to a guy who doesn't do the right ukemi out of kote-gaeshi, again?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:13pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    What happens to a guy who doesn't do the right ukemi out of kote-gaeshi, again?
    wrist-fucked

And just in case Labell is reading this.. NO that wasn't a sexual statement.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone tries to take that freedom away from me, isn't it just as useful to be able to evade, disrupt, and pitch them away from me? Don't necessarily feel like I need to meditate with 'em, but I would like to not resort to "smash[ing] their stupid faces in".
    two things: take that freedom away when they for example grab your wrist?

number two: did you know that when under stress in oh lets say a fight you lose most capability to use fine motoric skills?
    so evade and disrupt etc. sounds really logical IN THEORY, if someone charges at you you would be surprised how fast things go.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Every BJJ blue belt I know would be profoundly fucking embarrassed if they couldn't control an untrained guy without hurting him.

I'd like to suggest that, if you don't want to cause injury, a gentle double leg->side control is actually a better option than ballistic joint locks. What happens to a guy who doesn't do the right ukemi out of kote-gaeshi, again?
    hey pointy, do you train at the gracie barra school by any chance?
    you know vitor estima?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pitching them? So, you'd be projecting an untrained opponent (ie one who doesn't know how to fall/breakfall)? That's liable to ruin their day. And smash their stupid heads in. On the concrete. Or lava.
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 12345 67891555 ... LastLast