Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just glad the chunner invasion has slowed down. I needed a change of pace.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah most aikido guys aren't as rabid as the brainwashed disciples of teh mighty chun.

But, they do tend to have more swords.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:00pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Yeah most aikido guys aren't as rabid as the brainwashed disciples of teh mighty chun.

But, they do tend to have more swords.
    Yes but the swords are usually wood and for the most part they dress much worse than the average chunner....

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is that a real person?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:08pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mark123
    Lack of physical conditioning: I say this after years of Karate training so intense people would sometimes throw up in class. This style of training forces out the fakes and those lacking physical resolve. I remember who were overweight losing up to 30 lbs from the training.

Cooperative Kumite-no punching and kicking and how you would handle that with Aikido. Steven Seagal allowed this for people testing, and the results were always ugly-I'll give you a hint, the Aikido guy always ends up on his back with 2 or 3 people on top of him.

Wait until you master this-This was my biggest problem with Aikido. At least in Karate, even as a white belt, I was learning to punch and kick, and getting in top physical condition. In Aikido, you must have FAITH, that after practicing for 10 years, the techniques will be effective and lethal. That was always a sticking point with me, and turned me into one of those annoying "what if" guys in class.
    I agree with you completely on the physical conditioning not being part of the "curriculm". My sensei's response and one I echo is that physical conditioning is important, but our limited class time is focused on practicing Aikido techniques. It is the idividual practitioner's responsibilty. A responsibility I candidly admit to not devoting enough time too.

As for cooperative Kumite, I'm personally lucky to have people with other martial arts experience (judo, karate, little tkd, little bjj) who will offer some challenges to the techniques and opportunties to explore options if I get taken down. Mind you I'm not saying it is full out resistance throughout, more when they feel my balance or control slip they'll knock me over. Then I have to try getting my butt off the floor before they nail me too hard. The bjj and judo challenges are great and I want to practice against them more often.

That all said, It's a pain in the ass trying to teach yourself not to tense up, to try not to force your way through Aikido technique. That moving with perfect timing to the correct angles, so that brute strength doesn't rule the outcome. It's a lot of muscle memory to overcome. I admit to thinking we often rely on our partners' cooperation for too long in our training. However, our dojo does try to discourage folks from bailing out of techniques; falling before they are thrown. As students get more comfortable our dojo tries to offer some balanced resistance (or resistance appropriate to an idividuals skill). It's an evolution, a work in progress.

I disagree with the statement that, "In Aikido, you must have FAITH, that after practicing for 10 years, the techniques will be effective..." I would agree however that there are people out there using that argument. I mentioned this in yet another thread: one of Aikido's major principles or philosophies revolves around protecting yourself and your attacker(s). It is damned hard to learn how to effectively protect yourself, but aikidoists are trying to learn simultaneously to protect the person attacking them. This alone, for me personally, answers the questions about time to effectiveness. We also have to define what constitutes "protecting the other person".
    Last edited by Incorrigible 1; 8/20/2007 4:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:10pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Yoda should have worn a hakama in the films.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:17pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Allright, six months aikido vs. six months muay thai, same person, same level of experience instructor, GO!

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikicat
    I think Yoda should have worn a hakama in the films.
    Pleat or pleat not: There is no fold...

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:22pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrigible 1
    I agree with you completely on the physical conditioning not being part of the "curriculm". My sensei's response and one I echo is that physical conditioning is important, but our limited class time is focused on practicing Aikido techniques. It is the idividual practitioner's responsibilty. A responsibility I candidly admit to not devoting enough time too.

- Good lord. That's like teaching swimming without getting in the pool and then tell people that it's their responsibility to do it on their own. Not only is your sensei an idiot but he's lazy too boot!

As for cooperative Kumite, I'm personally lucky to have people with other martial arts experience (judo, karate, little tkd, little bjj) who will offer some challenges to the techniques and opportunties to explore options if I get taken down. Mind you I'm not saying it is full out resistance throughout, more when they feel my balance or control slip they'll knock me over. Then I have to try getting my butt off the floor before they nail me too hard. The bjj and judo challenges are great and I want to practice against them more often.
    - So um, it isn't full out contact so who the **** are you kidding? That's like semi contact sex?!?

That all said, It's a pain in the ass trying to teach yourself not to tense up, to try not to force your way through Aikido technique. That moving with perfect timing to the correct angles, so that brute strength doesn't rule the outcome. It's a lot of muscle memory to overcome. I admit to thinking we often rely on our partners' cooperation for too long in our training. However, our dojo does try to discourage folks from bailing out of techniques; falling before they are thrown. As students get more comfortable our dojo tries to offer some balanced resistance (or resistance appropriate to an idividuals skill). It's an evolution, a work in progress.
    - I don't even want to touch that with a ten foot aiki stick!

I disagree with the statement that, "In Aikido, you must have FAITH, that after practicing for 10 years, the techniques will be effective..." I would agree however that there are people out there using that argument. I mentioned this in yet another thread: one of Aikido's major principles or philosophies revolves around protecting yourself and your attacker(s). It is damned hard to learn how to effectively protect yourself, but aikidoists are trying to learn simultaneously to protect the person attacking them. This alone, for me personally, answers the questions about time to effectiveness. We also have to define what constitutes "protecting the other person".
    - Why the **** do you want to protect the person who's attacking you?!? Your opponent should learn how to protect themselves. Again, your sensei is stupid and lazy.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 4:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STOP STARTING THREADS ON UESHIBOLLOX
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast