Sponsored Links Spacer Image

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 11:40pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boston Ninpo?

Does anyone know anything about The Boston Martial Arts Center? They teach Togakure-ryu and bujinkan budo taijutsu under the chief instructor Mark Davis who is a student of Stephen K. Hayes and frequently trains under Masaaki Hatsumi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how reputable this dojo is? I've heard good things from people who know the instructor and was wondering if any more had anything to say?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to Bullshido, Tanhalen....don't be afraid to use the search function (up top) to check for past discussions relating to your question. I don't know anything about Mr Davis yet...but I can ask around and try to find out what's up. Boston has many great schools...I'll compile a list of some of the better ones for you, if you like.

enjoy your time on the GREATEST SITE KNOWN TO MAN!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 1:45am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue of the value of taijutsu (oft discussed) aside, Mark Davis is a good egg. If that's the sort of thing you want to train, then he's the kind of person you want to train with.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:41am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanhalen21
    Does anyone know anything about The Boston Martial Arts Center? They teach Togakure-ryu and bujinkan budo taijutsu under the chief instructor Mark Davis who is a student of Stephen K. Hayes and frequently trains under Masaaki Hatsumi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how reputable this dojo is? I've heard good things from people who know the instructor and was wondering if any more had anything to say?

Thanks in advance.
    When I was a ninjer, I heard nothing but good things about him. As mentioned, if that’s what you want to waste your time with, then that’s a good place to do it.

The bio on the site is probably old so there’s something you should ask before you join. It mentions him both training with Hayes and being a Bujinkan school, however it’s been a few years since Hayes started doing his own thing with Toshindo. Find out is he is still Hayes affiliated (which means that they probably teach Toshindo) or if he stayed with the Bujinkan, which seems to be what you are looking for.

Also, you should be aware that for all intents and purposes there is no such thing as Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu and the fact that the site emphasizes the school's “ninja” affiliation probably means there’s a good deal of LARPing involved.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correction rw4th: There is such a thing as Togakure-ryu ninjutsu. It was created in the 1950s.
    Last edited by Plasma; 8/19/2007 9:26pm at .

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:51pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Correction rw4th: There is such a thing as Togakure-ryu ninjutsu. It was created in the 1950s.
    I stand corrected :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i heard he was good, but you might want to do some research on him, Find out if he was truly training with Haye's or not. Some schools are real and some is not.
    Rember this most people on this site are haters of Ninjas, ifs this is truly what you want then go for it and don't listin to the haters witch they are bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 6:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark Davis is legit Bujinkan instructor and nice guy as well. He has being training since 1982. you could always email SKH or Jack Hoban for a reference. Hope this helps.

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA and BJJ (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dead thread I know. but since this is Bullshido.net I should point out something I noticed.

Hayes was kicked out of the Bujinkan. You can search here maybe and other forum. Mark Davis trains all the time with him. This is on Hayes website. You can see right there seminars that he teaches at Mark Davis school.

Mark Davis says on his website that he makes trips to japan all the time? I asked my friend in bujinkan japan if this is true and he says that he hasn't seen him in years. I know that he showed to other american teachers in japan and they thought it was bad. maybe Mark has disgraced himself.

Posted On:
    1/26/2010 5:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, judo, MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ninja etc in Boston

To the OP if you are still interested. I have trained with Mark a few times for fun. Good guy, they rank in Bujinkan but he is very much a Stephen Hayes follower....just one of the many "mysteries" of the Buj. Fun times you can train hard there if you put out hard I guess. Lots of BS in the beginner classes, some of the lifers there do have some skill.

I don't have any experience with it but there is also a Jinenkan club that runs out of the YMCA in Cambridge. If you have to go ninjer I always had a better experience with the Jinen folks, but I don't know much about this group specifically.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast