Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Layn Von Erich - Ralph Calvillo -Layn Drewes- Registered Sex Offender

    This guy comes around a local TKD school and claims he's fought in UFC
    and competed in "King of the Cage" and other MMA events.

    He's passing himself off as a MMA instructor / personal trainer
    with claims of significant experience Judo, Muay Thai and Jeet Kune Do and is soliciting for students.

    I was wondering if anyone's ever heard of him?
    I can't seem to locate a record for a Layn Von Erich
    in Sherdog, FC fighter or UFC.
    Last edited by variance; 8/18/2007 4:43pm at .

  2. #2
    sdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, here in Texas, there was "Lance Von Erich" (one time partner of the "Dingo Warrior") who's gotta be pushing 50 now (and was not really related to the Von Erichs), and Lacey Von Erich (Kerry's daughter) who I think just signed with the WWE, but I've never heard of a Layn Von Erich... Where's your gym?
    Last edited by sdave; 8/21/2007 4:51pm at .
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

  3. #3
    Gezere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sherdog may not keep up to date stats but if you fought in UFC, PRID, KOTC you WILL have a listing there. So anyone claiming to have fought in the UFC and they don't show up on Sherdog set off alot of BS bells.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

  4. #4
    1bad65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    1,632
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know if he is saying he is related to the Von Erichs of pro-wrestling fame, but that family's actual surname is Adkisson.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not actually my gym.
    It's my friend's TKD school in the Southeast Dallas (Mesquite/Garland) area.

    Anyway.. I'm pretty sure it's Layn Von Erich. (Its the name he has on his "business card") in which he lables himself an MMA trainer and a Personal Trainer.

    He does claim to be of the famous Von Erich wrestling family and supposedly he's "adopted".

    - He claimed he fought in the early UFC (later recanted after consulting databses and then saying not in the actual UFC's but was a UFC fighter.... sounds like BS to me)

    - He claims to have a fight in some MMA event in Austin in the next few months but I could not find his name on the fight card of the only event I saw on TXMMA.com

    - Claims to be well trained in Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Wrestling and some other things I don't remember very clearly and were obscure.

    As far as what he's been teaching.. (I have yet to observe his instruction)
    So his instruction is based on his students. (Crappling / Sparring with them)
    who have TKD as their core. They have been learning.. just basic subs... Armbar.. and triangle and the like.. but as far as takedown defense.. they didnt seem to know about sprawling and brawling or even dealing with single/double legs. Keep in mind, I'm actually a FMAer so my groundwork is very basic.



    I'm trying to get some conclusive evidence that he's a bullshidoka.
    but if he really is a part of the Von Erich family.. it might not be so farfetched?
    I dunno.
    Last edited by variance; 8/21/2007 1:32pm at .

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    240
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that his MMA fights cannot be confirmed + his backtracking on his UFC claim is extremely suspicious.

    If he's a real Von Erich, he should be able to demonstrate teh d34dly claw technique.

  7. #7
    sdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    It's not actually my gym.
    It's my friend's TKD school in the Southeast Dallas (Mesquite/Garland) area.
    Felipe Espinosa has a school in that area. You should stop in and check it out.

    www.dallasjiujitsu.com

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    Anyway.. I'm pretty sure it's Layn Von Erich. (Its the name he has on his "business card") in which he lables himself an MMA trainer and a Personal Trainer.

    He does claim to be of the famous Von Erich wrestling family and supposedly he's "adopted".
    He's not listed on their official website www.vonerich.com , but to be sure you can just email their webmaster @ joe@vonerich.com .

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    - He claimed he fought in the early UFC (later recanted after consulting databses and then saying not in the actual UFC's but was a UFC fighter.... sounds like BS to me)
    It is BS. What about his KoTC record? Did he have an explanation for that as well? Sounds like Tiger Klay...

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    - He claims to have a fight in some MMA event in Austin in the next few months but I could not find his name on the fight card of the only event I saw on TXMMA.com
    It's not that tough to get a fight. There are plenty of promoters in Texas with cards to fill. Having one agree to stick you in a show is hardly proof that you're a h4rd mM4 f1gt3r, much LESS a qualified instructor...

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    - Claims to be well trained in Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Wrestling and some other things I don't remember very clearly and were obscure.
    It's entirely possible. Lots of guys do MT/wrestling/JKD concepts/Judo/BJJ... Ask for his judo rank and who his instructor is. Find out where he learned Muay Thai. I'd honestly be at a loss to explain why anyone would train MT with this guy though, when Saekson Janjira is right up the highway...

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    As far as what he's been teaching.. (I have yet to observe his instruction)
    So his instruction is based on his students. (Crappling / Sparring with them)
    who have TKD as their core. They have been learning.. just basic subs... Armbar.. and triangle and the like.. but as far as takedown defense.. they didnt seem to know about sprawling and brawling or even dealing with single/double legs. Keep in mind, I'm actually a FMAer so my groundwork is very basic.
    It's not unheard of to keep newbies away from takedows for awhile. People can possibly be injured more easily/quicky/often there than they might in some other drills. YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    I'm trying to get some conclusive evidence that he's a bullshidoka.
    but if he really is a part of the Von Erich family.. it might not be so farfetched?
    I dunno.
    I don't know why being a Von Erich (Adkisson) would make MMA claims any more believable.
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    102
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lance Von Erich (William Vaughn) and Dingo (ultimate) Warrior (formerly James Hellwig) are not the same person.

    I live in South Dallas, where is the school?

  9. #9
    sdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    782
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk
    Lance Von Erich (William Vaughn) and Dingo (ultimate) Warrior (formerly James Hellwig) are not the same person.
    You are, of course, correct. They were once partners. The line should have read "A.K.A. 'Fabulous Lance' ", but that was apparently dropped in editing. Now fixed.
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

  10. #10
    kwoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,986
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still sounds like BS. A quick search for Layn Adkisson on Sherdog revealed nothing, also.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO