Posted On:
    8/18/2007 2:34pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I may not be famous

"I may not be famous, but I sure am organzied."
    Leo said I should make that my slogan after I said it to him as we were getting ready to start my seminar this morning. I was hanging out folders of information to the attendees.

The seminar went very well overall. There were 18 attendees, including 6 from outside of Leo's gym. Not too bad, especially since I only had a week to promote it. I've seen black belts get fewer people (How can only 2 people show up to a Vitor Shaolin seminar?) I guess that's the benefit of being internet famous (which is not real fame).

One of the guys had never trained before and simply wanted to see what BJJ was like, and I think afterwards he signed up to train with Leo. It means a lot to me that my enthusiasm to teach and the clarity of my instruction could get across to someone who's just sitting in the corning listening with no experience.

I'll get into the technical aspects later (I've got my own notes as a teacher to post) but one thing I wanted to talk about was my attitude towards how I ran this seminar.

One time I was talking to a lady about how I'm going to a BJJ seminar, and she asked if we just sat around and listened to a speaker. I thought that was a funny idea, a bunch of guys in gis sitting in a conference hall listening to a black belt give a Powerpoint presentation.

But what I did do is start thinking about how other professions run seminars. What would I do if I was giving a medical seminar or talking about internet marketing (which I've done before)? I decided I'd try to go for that level of professionalism.

For starters, I planned ahead. I put together a really solid lesson that I worked over in my head, wrote drafts, made notes, etc. I rehearsed teaching it several times to work out kinks beforehand and get comfortable showing it. I printed out my notes and had them on a clipboard so I could make sure I stayed on track.

I went out a bought pocket folders, card stock paper, business cards, labels and pens. I put together packets (which I'll post photos of later) that all attendees got which included a registration form (which I collected), a seminar syllabus and a pen and paper for taking notes. I also included business cards with my contact info. They all got to take this home.

My sister helped organize a lot of this, so I have her to thank. She's a receptionist for a company that does seminars for doctors, so a lot of credit goes to her.

She also came and greeted people at the door, took care the all the paper work (waiver, registration), collecting mat fees, etc. That made it easy for me to stick to my job of teaching and working with people on BJJ.

Before we started, I tried to make sure to meet everyone individually to learn their name and shake their hand. At the end, I stood at the door and personally thanked everyone and said goodbye and encouraged them to write my with any questions or feedback.

I thought about all the things I've heard people complain about at seminar and things I wished had been done differently. Then I tried to prevent those things from happening. For example...

I know one thing that can bug people is when they feel they're not getting personal attention. I made sure to circle around the room during every move and see how people were doing, correct them, answer questions, etc. I had them drilling on a timer where I'd tell them when to switch, so I could make sure everyone got to drill enough, since I hate when one person drills for too long and then the second guy loses his chance when the instructor goes on.

I really wanted to make sure everyone was getting all of their questions answered, so I repeated announced that they should yell, raise a hand, wave, anything to get my attention if they need help. I didn't want anyone keeping quiet when they had problems because they "didn't want to bother" me or something.

As we were finishing up the last move, I asked if everonye had a chance to drill it. I got the usual mumbled "mmmh" reply, but it didn't answer the question. So I repeated, "No, really, DID EVERYONE GET TO DRILL?" Then they got it. "YES!" "OKAY, GOOD!" I wasn't just being polite -- I really wanted to make sure everyone was getting it.

Before moving on to too much new material, I asked if anyone had questions. I asked several times for qustions on ANYTHING at the end just to make sure no one was going away with concerns.

I was thinking about the different skillsets guys like Leo and I bring to BJJ. He's been in sales for years; I've done IT and marketing. My approach to things is to be very organized and follow a logical progression. But I also understand that this is a service business and part of that is making sure people feel cared for and know you're paying attention to their needs. Like I said, I'm not famous, so I'm here for them, they aren't here for me.

This seminar was a great experience for me, and I think it was good for everyone who attended. Expect more notes on how I ran it, since like everything I do, they way I sort out new experiences is to write them down.

I'll be posting more info on the techniques, my notes, photos and (!!!) footage next week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 11:48pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like it went fantastic. can't wait for more notes. congrats on your first seminar. too bad i'm not closer to you.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:19am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a burning question for you, Aesopian.

Namely, is the guy in your avatar going for a ball-hold near the end? The part where he sort of cups his hand upwards and moves it forward.

Dunno, it just really annoys me.

In any case, congrats on your seminar.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:27am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian, if you DVD'd that seminar, and it comes with good audio quality, I'd totally lay down some moneys for it.

And so would many other people, I believe.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:51am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra
    Aesopian, if you DVD'd that seminar, and it comes with good audio quality, I'd totally lay down some moneys for it.

And so would many other people, I believe.
    Yeah, that'd be sweet.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internet famous is the new famous. It just needs a generation to sink in.
    More human than human is our motto.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took the same approach to this seminar as I take to my site, which is backwards to how a lot of people would do it.

How much did it cost? Free. But they could gives me tips for as much or as little as you want afterwards.

Could you film it? Yes. I had someone shooting HD footage that he's sending to me.

Could you take photos? Sure. I took ones that I'll post as soon as I can.

Could you take notes? Of course. I even included free pens and paper, along with a printed syllabus of what I taught.

Is it for beginners or advanced? It was for everyone. The way I taught should work for people from zero belt to black. I had white belts telling me it was great how easy it was, and I had purple belts telling me it was great how much new material I showed.

If a purple belt was getting it easily, I'd add more details. One purple belt kept asking very good questions and I'd show him more details. Then I'd grab the whole class' attention and share it with them too.

There was a white belt who'd just started that week who was having a lot of trouble. I started personally teaching different, simpler moves that related to what were doing but that I thought would be better for him. For example, he couldn't get the d'arce (which is no surprise) so I had him drilling a basic wrestling turnover that has similar arm movements, which he had no problem with.

I did a registration form that everyone filled out at the end. It asked them "What would you like to see covered in future seminars?" Here are a couple answers:

- "Everything." (Got this twice.)
    - "Anything."
    - "Anything in such good detail."
    - "More variations of the reverse omoplata, maybe from side control." (I actually showed him some afterwards since he hung around when people were leaving.)

I'd originally planned on having 3 hours to teach, but the time got cut down because of another class needed the space. I had to drop a few moves that I'd planned to teach. I could have said nothing, since it's not like they know what I'm going to show, and it's a free seminar anyway. But I'd really wanted to share these, so I told everyone I'd be filming them and putting them on my site for free.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One little trick I learned from teaching high school, is to ask questions of my students while going over the moves. I know it sounds weird, but I really think this helps build a more in depth understanding of the principals behind the moves, plus you get the added bonus of seeing it through anothers eyes. The way you teach sounds like this would fit in well with your style. Cheers mate and keep up the excellent work.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

When you get vid of this seminar I would love to have it. Pulling off a reverse omoplata is cool as all get out.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder
    One little trick I learned from teaching high school, is to ask questions of my students while going over the moves. I know it sounds weird, but I really think this helps build a more in depth understanding of the principals behind the moves, plus you get the added bonus of seeing it through anothers eyes. The way you teach sounds like this would fit in well with your style. Cheers mate and keep up the excellent work.
    Very good method. I do this too. When going over material I will constantly ask questions and have them give me feedback. I found that helps much more in understanding why they are doing the move that way instead of just showing them and telling them to do it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast