Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 10:58am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now I am training at Smithtown Judo and KTFO. I would like to compete in http://www.icompete.org/event/view/483.

I dunno about the enshin thing though. I'll have to think.

The places I am training are all totally different from each other in focus. I don't think I would ever have to worry about cross competition. And really for the most part, I just keep my mouth shut about what I do outside class.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Depends on the schools. Brazilians might label you a Creonte (ostensibly after a duplicitous Brazilian soap opera character or perhaps after the tyrant Creon from Antigone who honorably buries one nephew but leaves the other to rot on the battlefield). They can take offence at students training at other schools and may find it disloyal. Even in American schools there are politics and there are some coaches in the same city that just don't get along.

If both schools participate in tournaments you should be especially careful. I've seen a couple of instructors flat out tell their students "I'm not going to train you, if you compete for them", which I personally think is pretty reasonable. I would, at the very least, check with both instructors and see if they have a problem with students occasionally catching classes elsewhere.
    I was a little outspoken about this before, but I find the 'Brazilian' attitude (and by extension the American one) to this very mean (as in scrooge like), and at least for your casual/hobbyist/semi-serious students completely irrational. You never know, they might learn a new trick and bring it back to the club, isolating your student population can only be a bad thing IMO.

Serious competitors are another matter, but you can still be sensible about it without resorting to a blanket ban. Anyone good enough to represent you in competition will have been training with you a long time, so you should have a good enough relationship with them to discuss this. If they choose to represent another school after being with you so long, then you've got more problems than a contract enforcing this bullshit will solve.

Now I would discuss it with the coaches of both clubs if I were in a situation like this, but out of respect and because I'm honest, not because I felt obligated or disloyal.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    You never know, they might learn a new trick and bring it back to the club
    Exactly. This is THE reason given by one coach that he didn't want his students training elsewhere. He didn't want his "secrets" getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    isolating your student population can only be a bad thing IMO.
    IF the "new tricks" are flowing in, sure... If, however, information is only going out, then the paranoid coach will likely have a very different opinion.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that coach is someone like fucking Eddie Bravo I could understand (except Eddie isn't paraniod is he? He posts his secrets on the internet). I'd say there are very very few BJJ coaches (or any coaches) who innovate to the extent they need to "protect their secrets". Like I said, it's irrational, paranoid and likely born of an obsession with getting more trophies than other local clubs. So, instead of building a relationship with those other clubs, having a little friendly competition, and promoting the sport for the good of them all... they antagonize the **** out of each other with their provincial, small minded bollocks, and they drag their students along for the ride. Great stuff.

Creonte? LOL, fucking dramawhores.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 8/18/2007 2:22pm at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 2:22pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lu, it comes down to competition and reputation, IMO. This has been done to death already before, but suffice it to say that training at multiple locations for the same art is like registering at two different universities for the same degree.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 2:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nothing like that at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 7:23am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where you train? Its your money. Train where you want.

All this nonsense about loyalty is designed to preserve market share.

Any of the people in my program can train wherever they want. All I ask is if they do and learn something useful, bring it back to the rest of us.

That said, you do need to think about what's going on at the different gyms. In the beginning, it will be easier if they are doing completely different stuff from each other. Say one striking only and one grappling only. At some point, it will be up to you to figure out how to combine the different skills you learn.

Mark
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12