Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 5:22pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training at multiple locations?

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this, feel free to move it.

Do alot of yuze guys train at different gyms? I am training at a Judo and an MMA place within 15 minutes of each other. I will run from judo to catch the tail end of an MMA class just to roll. I feel kind of silly driving all over the place and it gets to be a bit stressful but I think I am making myself better for it, but am I?

Does anyone else run between 2 or more locations?

I go to college locally with a scholarschip and I get a discount at judo and I work so I can afford it but I wonder if it is really worth it. Sometimes (like when I am driving) I think myself a fool. Other times (like when I am taking people down in the clinch at MMA) I feel like I am really working towards something.

Main reason I ask is that there is an event that hopefully will get big that I want to compete in (Sogo Total Karate) and I am thinking of going back to Enshin on top of everything. That and I started lifting again and I feel like I should be doing more cardio and...

How do I know when I am doing to much and is it really worth for me to be hauling myself everywhere?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all about driving to get the best training as possible. But I don't think I've ever gone to 2 gyms on the same day. Also, please no Enshin.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 8/17/2007 5:35pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which school are you looking to quit or do you want to go to all 3?

What I used to do was make a calender, with the days and all of the available classes
    underneath them, ie:

Mon - Boxing/Enshin
    Tuesday - Judo/Boxing
    Wed - Enshin/Boxing
    Thursday - Boxing
    Friday- Boxing/Enshin/Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 7:47pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to do all three. I figure I'm young and with few responsibilities so why not just spend all of my time devoted to a hobby.

When I watched the Daido Juku clips on youtube for the first time I was like "Thats exactly what I want to do!" When I saw the Sogo exhibition I was like "****, thats what I want to
    do and its right in front of me."

Maybe I can try and convince him that we should be working on this Sogo thing. I dunno maybe he has had some time to think why everyone left. Maybe it will be different this time.

I just don't know if I am thinking crazy trying to do all of this. I want to try and take this as seriously as possible while I have time. I might just be an idiot thinking I can do all of it but I think I might try.

Mon: 7-8:30 MMA 8:45-10 Enshin
    Tues: 6-7:45 Judo 8-8:30 MMA
    Wed: same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Tues
    Fri:same as Mon
    Sat:12-3 MMA

And cardio or weight lifting in the morning. I figure if I am doing all of that I could really have a shot at doing well in this Sogo thing inexperienced as I am.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:15am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think in past threads, the consensus was that as long as you're not training in separate gyms for the same skill, there's no problem. Most MMA athletes seem to work out with different trainers at different locations. I know that with Andre Arlovski (who trained at my old gym), he did BJJ at one gym and boxing at a boxing-specific gym. I think it was because his boxing trainer was an employee at the other place.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What schools are you at right now? Info on the Sogo thingy please.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 8:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    I think in past threads, the consensus was that as long as you're not training in separate gyms for the same skill, there's no problem.
    Why would it be a problem anyway? If one school offers classes on the days your main school doesn't, and you want to train on those days too, why shouldn't you go?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 8:09am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I travel about 15 miles to do BJJ/Muay Thai and 10 miles in the other direction to do boxing. Never on the same day though

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Why would it be a problem anyway? If one school offers classes on the days your main school doesn't, and you want to train on those days too, why shouldn't you go?
    Depends on the schools. Brazilians might label you a Creonte (ostensibly after a duplicitous Brazilian soap opera character or perhaps after the tyrant Creon from Antigone who honorably buries one nephew but leaves the other to rot on the battlefield). They can take offence at students training at other schools and may find it disloyal. Even in American schools there are politics and there are some coaches in the same city that just don't get along.

If both schools participate in tournaments you should be especially careful. I've seen a couple of instructors flat out tell their students "I'm not going to train you, if you compete for them", which I personally think is pretty reasonable. I would, at the very least, check with both instructors and see if they have a problem with students occasionally catching classes elsewhere.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 10:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast