Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 3:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's any good they'll have some decent competative fighters there, probably getting most of the attention. Watch them and train your absolute arse off. Do this for a few months and someone might think you've got enough spark to try a round or two. Once this happens show 'em you got guts and don't mind being hit.

If you have spark, guts, persistence and a serious work ethic the top people in the place will take you under thier wing and give you the training you demand. They'll have you there bacause you're gonna be a fighter, not just to pay the overheads.

If not, enjoy your fitness routine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 8:41am

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkebell
    If it's any good they'll have some decent competative fighters there, probably getting most of the attention. Watch them and train your absolute arse off. Do this for a few months and someone might think you've got enough spark to try a round or two. Once this happens show 'em you got guts and don't mind being hit.

If you have spark, guts, persistence and a serious work ethic the top people in the place will take you under thier wing and give you the training you demand. They'll have you there bacause you're gonna be a fighter, not just to pay the overheads.

If not, enjoy your fitness routine.
    Is this how Muay Thai works? You show up, work out, pay your fees, and hope someone decides to "really" train you? I hope I'm mis-reading that. Otherwise, I'm glad I didn't go into Muay Thai.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's how it worked at the boxing, kickboxing and MT clubs I've been to. You get trained alright, but you don't get a lot of attention unless you work your arse off, be persistent and have some guts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:19am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the gym. If it's a competition gym, ie. mainly focused on producing competitors, then you have to compete to get attention. If it's a sattelite gym, ie. one where you workout, but in large part they don't openly recruit for competition, then everyone gets some attention, squeaky wheel gets the grease, though. And if it's just a "pay and play" gym, ie. one where you pay a fee to work on the bags, then you need to track down a coach on your own. MT isn't like TKD, where people go to feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves and get attention and a caring shoulder. It's not RBSD where you spend 6 months being thrown, attacked with a rubber knife, and yelled at, only getting real isntruction (if you can call most RBSD 'real') after "paying your dues", so to speak, as a mat/drill dummy. And it's not Aikido, where everyone is treated like a lotus blossom, delicate and unique, and your instructor wants to spend time getting to know if you like tea, sake, or fresh stream water from a waterfall. It's about fighting, winning, blocking, sweating, losing some blood, maybe about learning Buddhism or Thai history (if you're lucky enough to get into a more traditional setting outside of Thailand, which is rarer everyday), but mostly it's about Muay Thai and kicking ass in a ring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroth
    Depends on the gym...MT isn't like...
    It doesn't sound like very much, if you have to pay and "hope" someone decides to "really" train you after you "prove yourself" (whatever that entails). If that happened in karate or TKD dojo, the people on this board would be all over it. But since it's MT...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:52am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. You're looking at this like MT is a mystical artform with 1000 techniques and black belt grades, instead of like what it is, which is an art based on efficiency and competition to prove/improve technique. Most MT gyms are like any other gym, in that you pay for the usage of their equipment. When was the last time you went into Bally, Powershack, or Gold's and had a class over deadlifting, benchpress, or squats? Those are all gyms, but if you want to go to them and workout, bully for you. And if you want to powerlift and do competition, obviously you need more than just a "gym membership", now don't you? An MT gym is closer kin to a boxing gym (where you'll notice there are very few "classes" and those that actively compete get more attention than the weekend warriors). You're expecting the mystic dojo approach to martial arts, which is NOT MT. You want that, get into Cardio Kickboxing at your local Kajukenbo/Karate/Kung Fu business front.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 7:17am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was into Muay Thai, we definitely got a lot of instruction from the coach- he led us in stretching, conditioning, technical drills, pad work, sparring, etc. Then again, there weren't that many people who went to the gym. About half of those who were training competed, but I never noticed a big difference in the attention given those who competed and those who didn't. Anyway, that's just my experience.

To the OP: does anyone get attention from the trainer? Has he been really busy preparing someone for a fight? Maybe he doesn't like wasting time with people who don't compete, or maybe he wants you to get into good shape first (hence all the conditioning work) before really starting to train you. Maybe he wants to make sure you're serious and come in regularly before he puts any effort into your training. Maybe you already look like you know what you're doing so perfectly that he's got nothing left to teach you.
    You probably need to talk to your coach and ask for more personalized instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroth
    No. You're looking at this like MT is a mystical artform...
    No, I was looking at it like "You're paying for instruction and showing up and no one is instructing you because you haven't 'proven' yourself yet."

My point is that if I'm just going to show up and get a work out instead of practical martial arts instruction, I can do that at a regular gym (I'm in the Navy and the base gym is free, so that skews my view on this topic). You wouldn't put up with going to a restaraunt, paying, and hoping you're considered enough of a 'regular' for someone to finally decide to fill your order.

If that's how your gym/studio/dojo is run, I hope that situation is made clear to a potential paying member before he pays. If that's what he or she is looking for, great! If not, he should be advised to look elsewhere.

I understand that an instructor isn't going to immediately fawn over a brand-new student, but I would certainly expect some basic instruction in various strikes and defenses were I to pay for that instruction. Once we've become better acquainted, we could move on to more advanced and/or personalized instruction.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 1:39pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at a mystical artform kung fu school. It's open from 12-9 with a class once or twice a day. A few times a week I get 1 on 1 instruction. Other times I just go in and work out. Even lift weights. Couldn't a MT gym work like this as well?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienGunfighter
    It doesn't sound like very much, if you have to pay and "hope" someone decides to "really" train you after you "prove yourself" (whatever that entails). If that happened in karate or TKD dojo, the people on this board would be all over it. But since it's MT...
    Haha, it sounds like you don't really know the difference between class training and fight training. Even if you take a regular class you won't get "real" training until you show you're there for more than just a hobby, then the coaches accept you as a fighter and really focus on making you a fighter. That is, if you actually train at a fighting school and not just some run of the mill TKD or karate dojo.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast