Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 2:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What happen with the old way

I joined matrial arts, because I was a bad kid and I needed some help. My dad was smart and took me to a matrial arts school. When i went to this school i learned alot more then karate, I learned a way of living. Now with all this said, not every one is perfect (instructors included) but when happen to those days. what happen to when during the time you learned out to fight, and the other stuff that goes with responsibility of your skill.

i know no one is perfect, but hey maybe I am thinking of it in the wrong way.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 2:50am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old way was that parents didn't teach you about life but martial arts teachers did?

Yeah, what happened to that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:01am

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jniemiec
    what happen to when during the time you learned out to fight, and the other stuff that goes with responsibility of your skill.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but being in karate you learned alot more about responsibility then you did about fighting.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:24am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no one is perfect? what do you have some kind of grudge against someone you'd like to point out specifically?

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:34am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    The old way was that parents didn't teach you about life but martial arts teachers did?

Yeah, what happened to that.
    The old way was to mix at least 1/2 milk to 1/2 Guinness when teaching about life, Dad.

I can see where he's coming from though, when I was a kid my parents werent around much, so me and my friends ran around getting into fights and whatnot. So to learn how to fight better, we decided to take martial arts. Luckily the cheapest was an Aikido class taught by an old dude named Mr. Ting.

Obviously, we dindn't learn how to kick ass, we learned that fighting was only a last resort. If we had learned MMA without the moral aspects of martial arts at that time, we would have got into a lot more trouble than we did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:59am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can understand dad sending you to an MA school to get some discipline, TMA can be good for that i guess... but if you were a bad kid, he should have laid out an asswhoppin' on you to set you straight.

it boggles my mind how a sensei can straighten a kid out when their parents can't. what, are all senseis super dads?

edit: my instructor does to his kid what my dad would do to me if i ever got out of line... whoop my ass. a good smack can go a long way, and just because you can do a perfect jump spinning back kick doesn't mean you should underestimate a good smack.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 4:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So can someone please explain to me how not learning to fight teaches you more discipline than learning to fight?

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 4:33am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    So can someone please explain to me how not learning to fight teaches you more discipline than learning to fight?
    It doesn't. The point I was trying to make was instead of learning how to beat people up better, I learned from someone other than my parents that beating people up was wrong. Learning to NOT fight.

I guess my other point was a subtle reference to the unaffectiveness of Aikido as a martial art. Luckily my sensei also taught me some judo, boxing, and other skills that were more realistic. He was fond of yelling "Kick em in da family jewels!".

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 4:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    It doesn't. The point I was trying to make was instead of learning how to beat people up better, I learned from someone other than my parents that beating people up was wrong. Learning to NOT fight.

I guess my other point was a subtle reference to the unaffectiveness of Aikido as a martial art. Luckily my sensei also taught me some judo, boxing, and other skills that were more realistic. He was fond of yelling "Kick em in da family jewels!".
    So you did learn to fight.

See, I just don't see the argument (and I'm not sure whether you were making it or not) that TMA somehow teach you discipline, where combat sports don't, coz they're just about learning to fight. Generally, the styles that are nutridden on this site take a hell of a lot of discipline to learn and teach you humility pretty damn quickly because you tend to get owned quite a lot when you start out.

Not to mention the fact that if you've got a bit of anger against the world inside you, they'll channel it (a fact that's made boxing the sport of choice for troubled kids for generations).

Now maybe you can learn some discipline and respect from TMA, but to be honest it doesn't seem like a given to me when I think of some of the retarded, old school, passive-aggressive wankers that have come on this site sprouting about their deadliness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 5:03am

Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jniemiec:

bornsceptic isjust playing with you. It's not clever and it's not even funny.

bornsceptic:

'Not learning to fight' is not what he said. 'learning not to fight' was the original and you know damn well what he meant. Part of any fighting art is knowing not just HOW to apply it but WHEN and WHERE, or the 'martial' aspect is out of the window.

The difference between a sport and a martial art comes down to stuff like that IMHO. By all means pursue a SPORT and never ever think of using it in the world outside, but if you are learning a MARTIAL art you are, by definition, learning skills for fighting an enemy, not an 'opponent':

Learning how to win a fight is not the same as knowing when you need to fight and avoiding unnecessary conflict. It goes hand in had with teaching fighting skills. Or are you telling me your club lets in any meathead, teaches them how to damage someone better and doesn't care what he uses it for?

I make no MMA or TMA distinction here - Boxing clubs are just as capable of taking troubled street kids and turning them into respectful adults as any Karate club. It's all down to the attitude of the instructor rather than any set of techniques.

Give the guy a break. And please don't try asking me to argue against your response to words I have not said. I don't do stupid. :)
    Last edited by kiaiki; 8/17/2007 5:16am at .
Page 1 of 26 1 234511 ... LastLast