Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe yes maybe no I read the bio and I think he started training with his grand master in 1966 so it could be an old photo.

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 10:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoHo - Ho
    Maybe yes maybe no I read the bio and I think he started training with his grand master in 1966 so it could be an old photo.
    Could be. Pic does look kinda 'early-to-mid-beatles'.
  3. MalcolmX

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Goju-Ryu of the Meibukan is very good.

Truly a balance between internal and external. By internal I am talking about mental state, calmness under pressure, awareness, control of the breath, and focus. Through practice of the kata Sanchin, I became aware of internal pressure, muscles that really squeeze out energy from inside.

The same kata helped to build a stronger endurance to blows by providing healthy organs, an aspect that can be overlooked by focusing only on the outer body.

The external training involved sparring that built up over time (Thanks to my teacher) at an appropriate rate with an emphasis on "NIN", to endure. Very well rounded training. Conditioning of the entire body, but specifically forearms and upper body.

There are 12 Goju-Ryu Kata, actually 13 with a second "heishu kata tensho"
    And Dai Sensei created 5 kata, the Meibuken kata. Which contained Miyagi Sensei's favourite techniques.

I'm convinced that these kata produce and isolate different "energies" (I really don't want to sound mystical, I realize where I am) feelings of ways the body moves. They do that through martial movements. I believe this style of Karate to be a kind of way to master your body through movements deemed to have combat significance. Much like the way somebody can master their body through various other practices, like Hockey or Basketball, or dancing.

That said for a practitioner of Goju to actually be proficient in Fighting new skills have to be developed which are not officially in the system, there's a good chance a good teacher will also know how to fight however (quite powerfully nonetheless).

I think a lot of people misintepret what karate is when they compare it to other martial arts. Being a training system for people, for humans, not specifically for fighters. Teaching physical concepts like breathing with your motion and using the entire body.
    5 man Kakomi, is pre-arranged sparring, with 1 person surrounded who defends and attacks in a set footwork pattern. The techniques however can be practiced as jiyu, so the attacks won't be agreed upon only what side they come from (and you can be certain the side will change as well to surprise you [and to see how you deal with those surprises]) This was deemed by Dai Sensei Meitoku Yagi to be the best way to safely practice at full intensity because he saw so many people being injured in the free-fighting.

Free fighting is also practiced in Meibukan. Usually with rules like no groin kicks, or face attacks, or spine attacks. And grappling on the ground with no striking.

The people I have met and trained with in the Meibukan have been honourable and loving people. This changes from dojo to dojo though, so feel what is right if you do go and train.

Good Luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 8:52pm

Style: Daido Juku - Kudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds sort of like Daido Juku, except for the fact that our standup is based on kyokushin, with elements of Chinese boxing and may Thai. Only we don't do katas. Our classes mainly center on learning a new concept, repetitive training on it, then sparring for the rest of class. On all things, standup, clinch, groundwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 9:24pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh cool a goju thread
    My school has a pretty good goju program
    i am currently a yellow belt
    We separate training into four sections really, we learn traditional strikes along with more modern strikes (taken from boxing and muay thai as sensei believes we should all learn effective modern self defense) and strike defence, both traditional and more modern. We do a lot of shadowboxing and footwork.
    We also do a lot of kata. So far i only know 4 kata. the 2 geksai, sanchin and takiyoko godan... probably all spelled wrong.

finally we do sparring. we wear head gear and 10 oz gloves
    higher belts are allowed to wear mma gloves for sparring and do sweeps takedowns but no grappling (we have jiujitsu class too)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:05pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I did wrong to necro this threat but last post wasn't that old and I wasn't sure if this would be worthy of making a new one.

There is a Goju Ryu group that recently started training in the same place of my Judo Club, so after doing my today's solo workout I decided to check out how they train. I would like to cross-train some striking art and though my first choices would be Boxing or MT with trad karate lagging far behind, that place is just behind my house so I decided to check them out.

My first impressions weren't that good, a brown belt instructor and a handfull of white and yellow belts, two of them childreen, though I heard something about a Sensei and a few more people that weren't in class probably due to important soccer games. Since the club is very recent I gess that is not that surprising, and I recognised one of the yellows as a Judo Black Belt that sometimes train with us. But the rest of the students made me think of myself as a badass and that don't happen often (for good reasons) XD.

The class started with some light warmup and exercises to increases legs flexibility, bone conditioning exercises using the karate blocks, what seemed to me as a white belt kata focusing on legs (horse stance?) then the white belts trained footwork drills and the yellow belts worked on a more complex kata and then bunkai....

I had to leave before the end of the class but asked the brown belt about prices and how often and what kind of kumite did they do and he replied that at the moment they were not working much on kumite but on the future they would do, and also randori and that I should not be concerned with lack of contact. The prices weren't that high but still almost twice as my Judo fee (that is quite low) and they offered me to try this month for free...

So, I was far from impressed but at the moment it seems to be a beginners group which can be either good or bad IMHO . Should I try a few free classes just for the sake of it, or should I focus on Judo (I've only been training for a few months) for now using free days to work on fisical conditioning (at least until I can get my ass in a proper Boxing gymn)?
    Last edited by Wolfskin; 11/08/2012 7:13pm at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234