Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 2:38pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    WorldWarCheese described the style pretty well. But he left out the all important sock puppet ritual that....oh! aiiih! I'm sorry! No, Master! I won't tell!
    We DID have a secret handshake.... (Only for blackbelts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaishaku
    No knees or elbows (in sparring), and we do use hand, and foot gear, as well as cups. We DO kick to the groin as well as punch and kick to all other targets above the belt including the face and head with full force, sweeps and throws are also permitted. There are black eyes, broken noses, and knock outs. We do not point spar and DO NOT go to tournaments. As these rules would clearly not be acceptable.
    Try Enshin or Daido Juku, they seem to have similar rules except Daido wears face protectors and Enshin doesn't wear pads or allow headshots. One difference for Daido that may affect participation in competition with them is that they are rare and they have groundfighting, but if you feel the need to compete (some do many don't) then these seem to be the closest to your style.

As far as Kyokoshinkai they fight hard with no pads, however (correct me if I'm wrong) they do not kick to the groin or punch to the face or head. We believe our rules are as close to real fighting training as one can get without too severly injuring your training partners.
    Correct.

If you want a competition for your group, just have ones between different dojos in your style.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goju ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i myself have been a goju karateka for over 20 years and i have to say i totally agree with goju joe as far as the way kata is performed and sparring is performed it depends on the school,instructor,and organization.in my opinion from history when miyagi sensei died in 1953 and japan and okinawa totally broke from ww2 thats when business started to take over.since the death of sensei chojun miyagi many of his top underlings went on their own.sensei gogen yamaguchi goju kai affiliate with jka,eiichi miyazato jundokan okinawa,seikichi toguchi shoreikan,kinei nakasone shobokan,miyagi sensei's dojo mate seiko higa shodokan,meitoku yagi meibukan.from there you get students of the men i just mentioned and they start their own organization and now what do you got,a bunch of fucken bullshit.politics,ass kissing,bitching,back stabbing and everybody is out to make a fucken buck.i'm not saying everybody i'm just making a general statement of what i've seen imyself train with a hand full of yondans and up i'm a godan myself and we train just like old school boxers train all out.find a student that shows he has the stones for old school training but they're are not many of them out there any more.i myself and my pals don't want to change but we have to admit the world is it's gotten very soft in terms of our disciplines so i guess we are all stuck with each other so grin and bear it and that's one of the big reasons why i don't run a dojo anymore
    Last edited by black tony; 12/15/2008 11:10am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 12:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goju ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i might add that a lot of these okinawans and japanese didn't know how to do anything else with the exception of maybe fishing and farming
    with okinawa and japan totally destroyed from war the people that survived the war had to make a living to continue in their survival any way they could.
    so came the birth of the business of teaching martial arts and some of these guys and their students that carried on their tradition made big big bucks doing it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 3:30am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black tony
    i myself have been a goju karateka for over 20 years and i have to say i totally agree with goju joe as far as the way kata is performed and sparring is performed it depends on the school,instructor,and organization.in my opinion from history when miyagi sensei died in 1953 and japan and okinawa totally broke from ww2 thats when business started to take over.since the death of sensei chojun miyagi many of his top underlings went on their own.sensei gogen yamaguchi goju kai affiliate with jka,eiichi miyazato jundokan okinawa,seikichi toguchi shoreikan,kinei nakasone shobokan,miyagi sensei's dojo mate seiko higa shodokan,meitoku yagi meibukan.from there you get students of the men i just mentioned and they start their own organization and now what do you got,a bunch of fucken bullshit.politics,ass kissing,bitching,back stabbing and everybody is out to make a fucken buck.i'm not saying everybody i'm just making a general statement of what i've seen imyself train with a hand full of yondans and up i'm a godan myself and we train just like old school boxers train all out.find a student that shows he has the stones for old school training but they're are not many of them out there any more.i myself and my pals don't want to change but we have to admit the world is it's gotten very soft in terms of our disciplines so i guess we are all stuck with each other so grin and bear it and that's one of the big reasons why i don't run a dojo anymore

tl;dr interpunction plzkthx

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black tony
    i myself have been a goju karateka for over 20 years and i have to say i totally agree with goju joe as far as the way kata and sparring is performed .

it depends on the school,instructor,and organization. in my opinion from history when miyagi sensei died in 1953 and japan and okinawa totally broke from ww2, thats when business started to take over.

since the death of sensei chojun miyagi many of his top underlings went on their own.

sensei gogen yamaguchi's goju kai affiliate ,with jka, eiichi miyazato jundokan okinawa,seikichi toguchi shoreikan,kinei nakasone shobokan,miyagi sensei's dojo mate seiko higa shodokan,meitoku yagi meibukan.

from there you get students of the men i just mentioned and they start their own organization and now what do you got,a bunch of fucken bullshit.politics,ass kissing,bitching,back stabbing and everybody is out to make a fucken buck.

i'm not saying everybody, i'm just making a general statement of what i've seen imyself .

i train with a hand full of yondans and up i'm a godan myself and we train just like old school boxers train, all out.

find a student that shows he has the stones for old school training but they're are not many of them out there any more.

i myself and my pals don't want to change but we have to admit the world is it's gotten very soft in terms of our disciplines so i guess we are all stuck with each other so grin and bear it and that's one of the big reasons why i don't run a dojo anymore

fixed for your reading pleasure
    16 years till retirement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 9:59am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Milwaukee Cop

Why spend any effort on trying to clarify poorly written posts containing widespread knowledge? What a waste of your 666th post.

Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    IOGKF goju ryu

Lots of basics. Kata, bunkai, kakiei, conditioning, some sparring, a little ground work. I really enjoyed it though. My thoughts regarding the IOGKF are that they spend too much time on the basics and not enough on sparring.
    The reason I dropped out, more or less. Couldn't cope with the endless nitpicking on minor details. Although it's great goju (compared to other goju vids), I felt that my progress was impeded by the lack of advanced practitioners in my region, and the emphasis on basics ad nauseam.

Having switched to ashihara momentarily, the real challenge is trying to apply goju knowledge in kumite. Up till now, I get wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by ray jackson
    I think they fear that point fighting will reduce the effectiveness and the goals of goju ryu. They had (maybe they still do) occasional full contact competitions with gloves and head gear called "iri kumi go" but i haven't heard about it in some time.
    It's the bureaucrats

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GAAAAH!!!! 666 th POST!! didnt even notice!!
    16 years till retirement.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 3:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a co-worker that has a goju-jitsu school in NJ. Great guy and great school. I am interested that there is a school in Toronto as well. Here is the link. I reccomend this place. Solid instruction!

http://www.gojuryujitsu.com/

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 9:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah there's a few places that do Goju and Jiu Jitsu hybrid.

GoJu seems to historically approve of and promote the idea of cross training so it's not surprising there's a few goju Jistu schools

Posted On:
    12/16/2008 9:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus
    I had a co-worker that has a goju-jitsu school in NJ. Great guy and great school. I am interested that there is a school in Toronto as well. Here is the link. I reccomend this place. Solid instruction!

http://www.gojuryujitsu.com/
    "Grand Master Ramon Nunez, 10th Dan".

Nice pic.

The Grand Master looks to be maybe 30 at most.

Not saying anything about "captions-of-disaster" potential here, but...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast