Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 5:38pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Incorporating Judo into Muay Thai

Last night at Muay Thai class one of our instructors showed us a mutated Judo throw.

If anyone doesn't know what the "Danish Waltz" is, it's a clinch technique used to allow easier access to the stomach and sides of an opponent. The dominant clincher places his hand on his/her opponents shoulder and under his/her elbow and raises the elbow while pulling the head in the opposite direction. We were taught to use this technique to knee as well as unbalance our opponent.

The "judo" throw we were shown uses this form, but with the dominant clincher's rear foot placed alongside the opponents lead foot to trip him while pulling him down. It's a really neat throw due to the ease at which it can be performed.

Have any of you other Muay Thai guys been taught or know a throw like that for Muay Thai. I know throws won't land you points in the ring, but I like being a bully.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 5:45pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PasleyPMT
    Last night at Muay Thai class one of our instructors showed us a mutated Judo throw.

If anyone doesn't know what the "Danish Waltz" is, it's a clinch technique used to allow easier access to the stomach and sides of an opponent. The dominant clincher places his hand on his/her opponents shoulder and under his/her elbow and raises the elbow while pulling the head in the opposite direction. We were taught to use this technique to knee as well as unbalance our opponent.

The "judo" throw we were shown uses this form, but with the dominant clincher's rear foot placed alongside the opponents lead foot to trip him while pulling him down. It's a really neat throw due to the ease at which it can be performed.

Have any of you other Muay Thai guys been taught or know a throw like that for Muay Thai. I know throws won't land you points in the ring, but I like being a bully.
    Have you fought in Thailand? They go CRAZY on points for throws. It's considered something of a diss there too, when you get thrown, the crowd goes crazy. I used actual Judo throws on one of the coaches, he'd get pissed and yell "FOUL, FOUL, FOUL!!!" He wanted everyone to know I didn't legitimately throw him.

The trick for Judo-esque throws is you can't actually do a Judo throw. No shoulder or hip throws. The throws are really more along the lines of footsweeps, but you can't use your heel to reap the leg, or stick your leg on the inside. You have to use your knees, foot position, and push/pull your body correctly to actually throw the person. I don't know about the ease of it, everytime I've tried to do it in a sparring match it was blocked. It's very easy to step around the throws do to the aforementioned "no foot inside" problem. Serious Thai fighters threw me pretty easy, but I never could figure out how they did it so well.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was it something like this?
    http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...kouchigari.htm

I'm trying to work a no gi Osoto Gari, that I think can work in Thai rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 6:04pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Was it something like this?
    http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...kouchigari.htm

I'm trying to work a no gi Osoto Gari, that I think can work in Thai rules.
    Almost. The sweeping foot is placed next to the lead leg, though.

NoMan, thanks. I didn't know about throws in Thailand. Where our guys fight, they don't seem to get points for just throws. I love em, though

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 7:07pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peter Cunningham defeated a couple of Thai fighters with throws that they found very frustrating, and some Thai boxing nut-huggers cried "foul". Now, he didn't knock them out, but he screwed up there game plan and show boated them pretty good. He had a black belt in Judo, as I recall.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 11:29am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trick to legal MuayThai throws is that they have to be "twisting" takedowns or trips. You are not really allowed to throw someone across the back of your leg or do a shoulder throw, as already stated. If you twist them off balance and they fall, that is legal. Or, if cause them to trip over your leg, that is also legal. But the key thing with the trip is that it has to be over the inside of your leg and your foot must be planted. You cannot do a hooking sweep or the Judo-style footsweep. The only legal sweep is a roundhouse kick.

Examples of legal throws:

1. Twist your opponents head down with one hand as you push/lift with the other hand, almost as if you're trying to turn the steering wheel of a big truck with manual steering.

2. Both arms around the body of your opponent (underneath his arms), bump up with your hips to lift him off his feet, then twist and toss him off of his feet sideways.

3. Plant your foot to the outside of your opponents lead foot and do the same type of throw listed in example #1

4. Roundhouse kick your opponents support leg after you have trapped a kick or knee.

5. Trap a round kick or knee and twist your opponent off balance. Again, it is important to pay attention to the guidelines regarding what is a legal throw or trip.

That's pretty much it. Most of the legal throws you'll see in a MuayThai match are variations of the above.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity, why does Muay Thai have such stringent rules for throws?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 8:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To encourage kneeing in the clinch.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 8:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys in the gym uses a sasae tsuri komi ashi from the head clinch as a take down. It has been quite effective for him. Look on judoinfo.com for some examples of sasae
    Basically he locks up the head in the clinch then throws a couple of knees. He then steps out to the side rotates the head and blocks the leg at the ankle with his other foot using the sole of his foot against the ankle. Really an easy move and quite effective.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 11:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do that too but I've always just called it a propping foot throw. That's probably why I can never find pictures of it online. lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast