Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Butt scoot. It is very disconcerting to chase someone around the mat like a fiddler crab only to tie them up in your De La Riva or Spider guard and sweep them with....wait.......what forum is this?

Seriously though, how short are you? Are we talking dwarf/little person, etc....or just a some one say 4'10 - 5'4"? Regardless of the MA or technique you use your stuck with what you have, i.e., your particular physical characteristics, and you need to learn to make it work for you. If the strict use of a particular technique does not work you need to either adapt it to work with your body type or the particular situation OR abandon it all together as an ineffective technique FOR YOU and find one that works.

MA is not "one size fits all", ask your instructor to help you out.

Im not saying that my style doesn't approach this subject or even that it doesn't work, Im just allways looking for quicker and faster methods. The art I take does close distance well but since I have no experience in other styles (much) I was interested in hearing other approaches to the same difficulty. I am allways interested in doing things quicker and just think that if you can close distance in one step instead of two or three steps then your reaction can be quicker and use less energy hopefully. Sure there are a lot of things to take into consideration on which technique to use, I am just looking for different approaches and so far I am finding the answers really informative thank you alll.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 7:41am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of simple things that might work.

1. Tuck your chin, taking a shot off the forehead isn't as bad as taking one to the nose.
    2. Head movement, it doesn't have to be a lot, but move your head side to side as well as up and down, while keeping you chin tucked. A moving target is harder to hit cleanly.
    3. Throw a lead punch, it dosn't have to land, and then instead of pulling the hand back, follow it in, move your body to it. I hope his makes sense but use the punch to create the space to move into. Oh yeah, keep your chin tucked.
    4. Get used to getting hit. Sugar Ray said all boxers get hit, good boxers get hit less often.

Hope these might be usefull.

:)

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3

1. Tuck your chin, taking a shot off the forehead isn't as bad as taking one to the nose.
    2. Head movement, it doesn't have to be a lot, but move your head side to side as well as up and down, while keeping you chin tucked. A moving target is harder to hit cleanly.
    3. Throw a lead punch, it dosn't have to land, and then instead of pulling the hand back, follow it in, move your body to it. I hope his makes sense but use the punch to create the space to move into. Oh yeah, keep your chin tucked.
    4. Get used to getting hit. Sugar Ray said all boxers get hit, good boxers get hit less often.

great advice. Seriousmantid, this here is the TRUTH.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3

M1K3 thank you for that insight that sounds really like it might be effective. I really appreciate your answer.

:)

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, roundkicks to the inner thigh are very effective, perhaps more so because of your small legs and feet. I'm too gangly to land those, they hurt like crazy...if you're really short, you can throw them from your opponents punching range...cover up and kick...works well...just cover up well.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    Is there any way with out eating a couple to the grill because I am not to good at taking a punch, the slightest pressure usually throws me for a loop.
    You know what?

I'm about 5 posts away from asking you to be banned from the CMA forum.

Why?

Everything is contained in your school and it is highly effective. Yet, here you are showing a deficiency in you training. Now, all styles have holes I get that. Most people asking for help don't tell us that their style is super dooper magic finger grappletastic superior.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took TEM's suggestion moved here not CMA specific.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/17/2007 12:18pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus I'm sure Ashley and WhiteShark are not going to be happy to see a striking discussion here. I may be wrong, but unless there is something really, really specific to CMA in this thread, this should be in Strikeistan.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    M1K3 thank you for that insight that sounds really like it might be effective. I really appreciate your answer.
    What? The other advise you got might not be effective? LOL @ "Is there any way with out eating a couple to the grill?"
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe you guys are feeding him all of this boxing crap! FLYING SIDEKICK is the obvious solution here. Two good steps and launch. You can close 8-10 feet of distance no problem! And flying kicks are obviously effective since Osiris used one against JFS.

No, seriously, get used to getting hit in the face sometimes. If you're ever in a fight it's mostly likely gonna happen. So get used to it in training. Then take the advice of the other people in the thread about covering up, slipping, and moving in on an angle.

Also, ASK YOUR FUCKING TEACHER.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:41pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We really do need a good sticky on this question, it seems like it gets asked at least once a month or so. The easiest answer is to find a good boxing gym and start training there; if you had some fundamental boxing skills you wouldn't have to ask how to get in on a guy with a reach advantage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast