Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 4:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it better? - Routines

Is it better to have a mixed workout like Monday, Wednesay, and Fridays you work the upper body. Tuesdays, Thursdays, & maybe Saturdays you work on the lower body. Or is it better to work both lower and upper body on the same day, but at different times for just 3-4 days out of the week?

Here's another thing. I'm preparing to get ready for the local law enforcement exam (well the physical part of it anyway).........Do I focus on solely on running (jogging), then weight train. OR weight train THEN running (jogging)? I'm not as young as I use to. A couple people have different views on running. A former Marine Vietnam said that the way he and his unit trained was to carry 40-80lbs of sand and rocks in their backpacks and run with them. A soon to retire EPPD officer tells me that it's not a very good idea and you will do more damage, with the used weighted vest I recently purchased, on your kness and ankles than just running with your body weight. Which is it? Sacrifice my possible physical health to gain more perfomance physically?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:19am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiParkMexican
    Is it better to have a mixed workout like Monday, Wednesay, and Fridays you work the upper body. Tuesdays, Thursdays, & maybe Saturdays you work on the lower body. Or is it better to work both lower and upper body on the same day, but at different times for just 3-4 days out of the week?

Here's another thing. I'm preparing to get ready for the local law enforcement exam (well the physical part of it anyway).........Do I focus on solely on running (jogging), then weight train. OR weight train THEN running (jogging)? I'm not as young as I use to. A couple people have different views on running. A former Marine Vietnam said that the way he and his unit trained was to carry 40-80lbs of sand and rocks in their backpacks and run with them. A soon to retire EPPD officer tells me that it's not a very good idea and you will do more damage, with the used weighted vest I recently purchased, on your kness and ankles than just running with your body weight. Which is it? Sacrifice my possible physical health to gain more perfomance physically?
    What's the specific physical requirement for the exam? Is it just distance for time? Does your relative time matter or is it just doing it faster than the minimum requirement?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google "couch to 5K" that's an interval based running program. intervals are far better for running performance than just jogging. Don't wear the vest at all. not only will it hurt your knees and ankles, it'll **** up your stride when you're not wearing it (like during the test).

With weights do big compound movements. go buy 'starting strength' and bask in the glory of the 5x5. all praise to rippetoe, peace be upon him.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Time mainly matters on running test.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    What's the specific physical requirement for the exam? Is it just distance for time? Does your relative time matter or is it just doing it faster than the minimum requirement?

All applicant must run 6 laps on a quarter mile track. Basically 1.5 miles in 15 minutes and 20 seconds. When I was training on previous tests I was training on a much smaller track, with heavier air. El Paso,TX has at a much higher elevation than Chicago,IL and almost everytime I catch myself running the course just 1 minute 45 to 2 and a half minutes longer. My goal is to finish it in 15 minutes.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks for your info on physical test training.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Google "couch to 5K" that's an interval based running program. intervals are far better for running performance than just jogging. Don't wear the vest at all. not only will it hurt your knees and ankles, it'll **** up your stride when you're not wearing it (like during the test).

With weights do big compound movements. go buy 'starting strength' and bask in the glory of the 5x5. all praise to rippetoe, peace be upon him.
    Thanks bro I appreciate your input. I'll check it out.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 4:07am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiParkMexican
    All applicant must run 6 laps on a quarter mile track. Basically 1.5 miles in 15 minutes and 20 seconds. When I was training on previous tests I was training on a much smaller track, with heavier air. El Paso,TX has at a much higher elevation than Chicago,IL and almost everytime I catch myself running the course just 1 minute 45 to 2 and a half minutes longer. My goal is to finish it in 15 minutes.
    Seconding what people said about running with weight. You are highly likely to injure your joints that way.

Soldiers only do it despite the injury risk because it is often part of their job to run around whilst loaded up with lots of heavy equipment strapped to them.

Just a guess, but if it currently takes you over 16.5 minutes to cover a mile and a half you may also want to think about a weight loss diet.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.