Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 5:26pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old School TKD Mentality and Practice.

When it comes to the Mentality and Practice of Old school TKD i do not have any knowledge on how it was practiced or the mentality of how its practioners thought. Any insight on this subject would be helpfull. in case any are wondering why i do not know much is because i am a WTF black belt taught by an American master who does not know much history behind TKD besides the unification of the Kwans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 5:35pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old school ways? I have seen many video's of Korean style schools but as far as "old ways" They are basically the same today as they were then.... now American vs. Korean is where you will see a distinction. I went over to Korea on a trip and had a chance to spar and train. Its like 500 times the level we train at here, or at least the dojangs that I have trained at. I would also argue that a black belt here, equates to what most blue belts are like in Korea. Of course there are exceptions to this.... but not many. Its taken VERY seriously over there, and to be honest, its not nearly as lax on rules as we are here.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 5:43pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What i want to know is how Pre Sport TKD (i.e Olympic style) thought and Trained. Well when i was in korea most Dojangs were full of little kids like a TKD hagwon. But i did see some good TKD training at my cousins highschool in Jinju.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:05pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much more like Karate, the further back you go. Very rigid, lots of work on forms as well as sparring, kicks were different, etc. Overall, the people that you see in Korea are going to take it way more serious than here, to the point of nationalism. It's their national sport, so they don't want anyone winning at it, much as we don't want anyone beating the NBA or being better at baseball. The U.S. is so full of mcKwoons it's not even funny. That was the goal all along, the Kukiwon exported TKD and instructors and the money rolls back in the form of diploma/promotions fee's- $ 300-800 for a black belt? They get a cut.
    I mean really, either you're good or you're not, no matter what a piece of paper says.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 5:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old School TKD?

Look at vids of Kyokushin and Shotokan.

That's old school TKD.