Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oops I did it again. I got a Broken Hand. Need Help.

Avulsion fracture. Basically cannot lit anything with my left hand, or flatten it out (like for pushups). It is the ulnar ligament of the first metacarpal. Not so funny is that last december I broke my right hand and was out 6-8 weeks because of that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avulsion_fracture

Anyways, I was doing 3 day split pretty consistently for a month moving up from a 2 day split. I was also going to class at least 4x a week (BJJ/MT)
    http://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html#anchor1682197

Having dropped over >35lbs since April1st. I'd hate to put the weight back on. I am eating ok, but to compensate for the lack of strength building I need to really cut back on calories.

Now I can't do most of the techniques for obvious reasons. In addition i can't grapple and can only work kicks in class.

I need some ideas.

I am walking/running a bit more.
    I do these stupid ab videos (don't laugh my wife and i have seen crazy improvements)
    I also have a vid for isometric arm techniques. But I have two problems (at least) with it.
    1 - I feel stupid with nothing in my hand
    2- I can't always ake the tension necessary( because I don't know how)
    3- Who knows if it works?
    I use my gymboss timer and do no weight squats, hip abductors, hip flexorss and calf raises (3 sets of 40 seconds full out)

Dr says 6-8 weeks. He also says he has never seen a break like this...and he is a top guy,

Any help would be appreciated. Macho helped me through my disk herniatation, i was back in 2 weeks from that...this however is a totally different deal. Sorry if I missed something, it is still a bit hard to type.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were they able to see the fracture with an X Ray?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Not very pretty.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 5:06am

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man i hope you get well soon. Also do you drink a lot of soda or carbonated beverages if so stop drinking them they sap the calcium from your bones. I learned that the hard way drinking green tea will help boost your metabolism so you should drink a cup a day i suppose that might help keep your weight down with the excericise your doing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 8:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't drink much caffeine or carbonated drinks. I gave up fast food almost 2 years ago. My biggest concern is maintaing the muscle I have now.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:33pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are lucky, really. I've been told by doctors that the benefit of an avulsion fracture is that it'll fully heal. I've popped the tendons instead (mallet finger) on two of my fingers, and after 10 years I still get problems punching people with my right hand.

My advice though (that I always seem to give in these situations): Take two weeks off first. You seem like the kind of guy who hates taking breaks at all, which is all the more reason it could be good for you if you hadn't had one in a while. You probably resent your limited work-out now. Get out of the gym, lighten your routine, and don't do anything you "normally" do when you work-out. When you get back you'll feel less frustrated with your limited work-out. I find when I take breaks that I come back more relaxed and with better focus, especially when I'm still injured.

Dagon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is going to be alot more than 2 weeks. But thanks for the advice. I started walking 2.5 miles during my lunch hour and 3.5 when I get home. Since I am not training I am eating less and not drinking so many protein shakes. When i first herniated my disk I dropped 4lbs in one week from lack of myoplex.