Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:22am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody who lives in Orlando can probably chime in also...these are what I remember about YK Kim and his marketing from the 80's and early 90's....he literally was the precursor to Von Schmeling/Victory Martial arts here in Central Florida...complete with outrageous commercials (too bad I can't find it anywhere on the net), rivaling that of Team Chip TKD or whatever where they fight dragons...

- They broadcasted a cheesy commercial with a lady unconfidently walking to her car (not sure "unconfidently" is a word, but you get it) and a kid getting bullied at school...then they start taking TKD at YK Kim's TKD (before it became Martial Arts World), then the lady literally fights off multiple muggers and the kids like fighting off the bullies...YK Kim pops onto the TV and in his broken English screams "CARR ME NNNNAO!" (Call me now)

- He produced probably the most terrible MA movie ever created...the Miami Connection! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092549/ Oh, I've seen it...he's got his students in it...some of them playing multiple roles...hilarity at its best.

"Y. K. Kim, internationally known Master of Tae Kwon Do, heads this cast into the ultimate test for survival when he and the members of the rock and roll band "Dragon Sounds" are forced to take on the Miami drug syndicate. From the college campus to night clubs, to the streets of Miami, the members of Dragon Sounds are confronted by bikers, gang members, and the underworld. The action, violence and brutality come to a climactic end when the forces of good and evil finally square-off in one of the best martial arts scenes ever put to film. "

- He used to do these "MA demonstration shows of the grand masters" or something...he'd bring over Jhoon Rhee and a bunch of his buddies and have them basically do their parlor tricks...it was essentially a circle jerk for the TKD community in central Florida...oh, and tickets were like $20 a pop.............oh, and not to mention it was really nothing more than a testing for his gajillion McDojo students disguised as a "Grandmaster demonstration". So before they even get to the grand masters (which was cool at the time, b/c I was a kid and all into TKD), we'd have to sit through an entire belt testing.

- My old TKD instructor's wife, was originally a student of YK Kim's...after class, he'd line up the women and get in their face and ask them forcefully, "DO YOU LOVE YOUR MASTER?!" Whether or not that **** still goes on, I dunno.

It's crazy man, at this point...YK Kim's a joke in central Florida, regarding any sort of quality martial arts instruction. He was ATA before ATA was ATA.....

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, what a pioneer!:bowdown:

It is pretty amazing that people can sleep at night after doing this sort of stuff.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:34am

Style: chaos

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THEIR ARE SO MANY FAKE'S IN THE MARTIAL ART'S IT'S SO WATERED DOWN

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:42am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lamokio
    THEIR ARE SO MANY FAKE'S IN THE MARTIAL ART'S IT'S SO WATERED DOWN
    A brilliant point made with poor grammar, mispellings, *and* ALL CAPS!

You win the thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turn your caps lock off.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:48am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this guy related to Tae Yun Kim? A lot of the same bullshit going on. Public speaking, self help books and tapes and that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. Why do most of the MA nutters turn out to be Korean? Or is that just my perception?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 11:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is this the same YK Kim that produced the tapes "success in martial arts" (or something of that sort)?

tho i haven't watched the tapes myself, i got a gene simco bjj book that mentions that any MA students should watch those vids... regarding practices that may be enticing or alarming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 2:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a student at his Y. K. Kim's Tae Kwon Do on Colonial (in Orlando FL...now called Martial Arts World) from when I was 8 or 9 years old up until age 12 or 13 (so that would be ~1995/6 to 1999/2000). I will say this: there was no failing belt tests (for us kids anyway...I will ask him later about the adult tests), and even as kids we joked about this.

My father, who got his black belt in shotokan karate when he was a young adult (and was forced to stop due to a car accident), earned his second degree black belt with Kim-- if I recall correctly; it may have only been a black belt with two white stripes. He says he always knew Kim was a bit eccentric, didn't have a perfect reputation, and it was a bit too easy to get your belts, but he felt the instruction from those who actually taught us was OK (Kim was actually there a good amount of the time, but didn't teach us kids....my instructors constantly said they felt the instruction there had been better years before and had gone down hill).

Now I take Muay Thai at American Top Team here in Orlando and Longwood (so anyone there can ask to see proof of our participation) which I began Feb 12, 2008 (under Mejiro Gym at the time with Bobby Robare) and took a break around December 2008. I will start up again very soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 3:09pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, I took TKD at UCF's free clubs for the heck of it, and I knew no TKD. =)
    My form was "wrong" from their perspective, and this was before I even started Muay Thai (you know, I had my hands up always and never punched from the waist, or blocked funny like they do).

Posted On:
    6/07/2009 4:11pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thread, it lives!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast