I got an axe to grind

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 5:33am

supporting member
     Style: thai.kali.no-gi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroth

Next time, instead of "fishing" for someone to make a mistake, use your immense intelligence and say "Oh, he must mean Daeg. Maybe I should go run and play someplace else instead of baiting someone into a meaningless discussion about semantic runic representations", especially since it had very little to do with the topic of note, ie. how it correlates to Stav, or even the topic that I had been discussing/replying to, from Hedgehogey about "Pride" usages and how Stav could be pandering to hate groups. Furthermore, if you wish to attack my "sincerety" on the topic of runic knowledge, NeoPagans, or anything else, I'm fairly sure MABS is not the place and I'll be more than happy to meet you on a wonderful YMAS thread for the verbal fencing.
    YMAS is for jokes (usually). MABS is for questions of substance.
    Responding to general information discussion with inaccuracies and
    pretension, then utilizing sarcasm and ad hom to infer secondary
    motivations from a request for clarification in the absence an obvious
    runic use for the spelling utilized not once but twice.... anyone
    who can understand the 40$ words we are spitting back and forth
    can draw their own conclusion easily enough.
    let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 6:13am

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the holy hell is a rune?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RegularJoe
    What the holy hell is a rune?
    You could Google it, but briefly, runes in this context are letters of the old Scandinavian/Germanic/etc. alphabets, which also have symbolic "magical" meanings.

The connection with Stav is that about 100 years ago a German mystic named Guido von List developed a system of yoga-type poses based on the shapes of the runes, and more-or-less the same idea also appears in Stav. The difference is that Stav proposes a set of combat applications for these poses, somewhat resembling a sort of Norse Tai Chi Chuan.

Again, IMO, it was a nifty piece of lateral thinking, but the claim that this practice actually dates back to the days of the Vikings is complete BS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 6:30pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for not commenting on the Marcomannic set.

And YMAS is for off-topic discussions, personal fights, and other miscellany as well. Like getting into a "who has the bigger vocabulary" fight.

PS: Quandary, posit, ad nauseum, largesse, emancipation, antidisestablishmentarianism. Now I feel righteous and indignant too. I just had to get that vocabulary lesson out of the way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 9:52am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *If you read this before I edited, please disregard as irrelevant to the thread topic. Thank you. *
    Last edited by Bladesinger; 8/19/2007 10:34am at .

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen things about Stav for a while and will wade into the waters. First of all, I know a great deal about things Viking. I have a graduate degree in Scandinavian languages from UC Berkeley and can read Old Norse, which is the language the Vikings spoke and wrote. I have studied runes and can read them. Pretty much all of what I have read by the Stav guys on the web is total crap. There is very little if anything written about the details of how Vikings fought and I have never heard anything from the Viking era about posing in the shapes of the runes. How the hell is that supposed to work, anyway? Pose like an "M" with your butt up in the air and arms and hands down. .... Hmmmm There's words for stuff like that.

There is no manual of how to fight. About the closest I saw is a description of a fellow running along the ice with a sword and sliding into a crowd of enemies, striking, and sliding away. Realistic or just a good story? Your guess is as good as mine. As I see it, if the supposed foundation is so wanky, the MA is probably pretty wanky, too. Having said this, it seems derived from a number of weapons arts and other arts that are legit. Why not stick with those? OK, back to work. Thanks for the forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123