Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as much as I love sounding like one of the evil nuns from the first act of an inspirational Disney sports movie, an enormous part of life is recognizing your weaknesses as much as your strengths. You work around your disadvantages, not plow ahead pretending they're not there. Or, in the case of Maynard, whoring the ruleset to create a profoundly awkward battle for your opponent.

That said: I would give anything in the world to fight Kyle Maynard. Anything.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with SHJ. His condition requires that the rules be modified so he can compete and that is not fair to whoever he's fighting. I think it's awesome that he can compete in grappling but the simple fact is that he can't adequately defend himself from punches/kicks from a standing opponent means that competing in MMA is unrealistic.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, he should clearly only fight people with a similar condition in a new sport with rules tailored to their disabilities.

Call it nubmission wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to Hell Rivington. :)

And if this guy wants to do everything that full-bodied people can do, he needs to deal with their rulesets, not make his own and set conditions.

Dave

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    So let me understand the gist of Maynard's argument: MMA is safe for quadraplegics because he's going to exploit a series of loopholes in the ruleset so that his opponent will only be permitted to punch him in the stomach and choke him, assuming he could find an opponent comfortable with the idea of beating up a humorless congenital amputee perpetually ejaculating a ceaseless stream of self-help cliches all over the mat.

Whenever I hear a Kyle Maynard article I always think of a very select type of patronizing jock from high school, the Aryan poster child with a great feigned love for everyone. The kid who wore his varsity jacket out in public but insisted his real future was in some specific, dispassionate business, the sort of fellow who not only believed in hard work, but told people he believed in hard work. Someone who could quote selected passages from the select works of Donald Trump and Robert Kyosaki, a sort of insane reverence for faded ideals and pale constructs and chaotic banality. Someone who would actually read Who Moved My Cheese?.

The great thing about these people is they always, always die in car crashes on prom night or graduations, and their mortality rate is astoundingly low. Most descend into alcoholism before 20 and are seldom heard from again. Maynard survived that pitfall. He can't drive and at 125, probably gets loaded off a couple Bacardi Breezes. Worse yet, all the special praise and attention lavished upon him for BEATING THE ODDS by not THROWING HIMSELF DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS made his already bloated sense of self-entitlement swell out of control like an untreated tumor until it lead to a series of increasingly self-aggrandizing books/lectures/seminars, placing him in exactly the wrong field of work for someone with permanently deranged self-esteem. At this point, is it any wonder he thinks fighting MMA is a realistic goal?

The amount of venom you feel towards a crippled kid who doesn't fit neatly into your idea of how crippled kids should act is pretty pathetic.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:49pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    The amount of venom you feel towards a crippled kid who doesn't fit neatly into your idea of how crippled kids should act is pretty pathetic.
    Devil is being far too kind.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red512S
    You're going to Hell Rivington. :)

And if this guy wants to do everything that full-bodied people can do, he needs to deal with their rulesets, not make his own and set conditions.

Dave
    Exactly. You don't see him claiming he can be a firefighter because fires won't change the rules to suit him.

Unlike Boyd, I think it's great that he wants to do something, even if it is tilting at windmills. At least he's not at home crying about how disadvantged he is, and how the rest of us owe him something. However, in this case, he is wrong. He shouldn't be allowed to fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree he should not be allowed to fight. It's wrong to bend rules in any sport to accomodate individual competitors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:13pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not taking anything away from the man because quite frankly, he has done something I don't think I ever could.... but his limitations are obvious. It would be like him wanting to compete in swimming.... I'm sorry, but somethings aren't meant to be.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:13pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, I agree with pretty much everything Boyd said, but lack the expressiveness to state it as cleverly as he did.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast