Taken from The Stillwater Combatives Center Website:
To improve our community through involvement with our youth and the young at heart. We use martial arts to teach the tenants of respect, responsibility and citizenship. The art is directed inward, so that the positive character will not only yield excellent martial arts technique, but also promote confidence and respect which in turn improves their academic as well as personal pursuits. We develop positive character in our students so that they may protect themselves and protect others.
Though we work hard to be a good influence on our students, and inspire their inner development. If you are looking for a martial arts school that values high standards in all physical aspects of martial arts trainning. We provide quality instruction, however you will develop at your own pace. We will encourage you in any way we can. However We will hold you to the same standard you hold your self, so long as it will help you attain your goals.
So does that include making up your rank and background to suit your current needs? How many more times is Coda going to be alllowed to re-invent himself? If Coda, you are a moral standard, then that's setting some pretty low goals.
How can anyone read this and still let their kids go there....
Though we work hard to be a good influence on our students, and inspire their inner development. If you are looking for a martial arts school that values high standards in all physical aspects of martial arts trainning. We provide quality instruction, however you will develop at your own pace. We will encourage you in any way we can. However We will hold you to the same standard you hold your self, so long as it will help you attain your goals.[/I]
It LOOKS like standard boilerplate crap-fu talk, but if you try to READ IT....
Let's break that into sentences (each a complete thought)
Though we work hard to be a good influence on our students, and inspire their inner development.
gibberish sentences. One can grasp that there was originally an idea behind it, but the person in question doesn't seem to have a grade school education.
If you are looking for a martial arts school that values high standards in all physical aspects of martial arts trainning.
FINALLY, sentences that make some sense.
We provide quality instruction, however you will develop at your own pace. We will encourage you in any way we can. However We will hold you to the same standard you hold your self, so long as it will help you attain your goals.
So the only real thing that's said here is, "WE provide quality instruction" (fairly clearly false given the history of this thread), followed by 'but we'll let you dick around and give you belts anyways as long as we get paid'.
I won't try the obvious spelling flames, I'm not perfect either. However, I think it's pretty telling that a business considers THIS promotional material.
Thank you! I am on the fast track to becoming a post whore!
Originally Posted by n00b
That seems kinda hard to sell, when the senior instructor himself doesn't appear to hold himself up to those "high standards in all physical aspects of martial arts training." He doesn't even look like he's done one day of hard training in his life.
Originally Posted by chalkieusa
Originally Posted by Adon4Ever
Yes, that's true.
Has anyone contacted former students about this quack and his training methods and/or his retention methods? Did he not threathen a former student with a sword at one time? I think getting some info/statements from past students couls help expose this wacko, or at least add another layer for consideration for people looking to train with this guy!
More info..my wife found out from a friend that coda was trying to branch out. He is teaching on his own on wednesday nights.
The website is stillwaterstarsacademy.com
The E-Mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
I called the and comfirmed this, they told me as of now he only has 3 students.
I am also sending them to this website for info on him.
Great Fox! but it seems that there is no information about him being displayed there. Do these people know about him or about this site and the wealth of information that we have here?
Originally Posted by fox
As of 18 Oct 2007:
Coda Scott's Main Facebook account is gone!
Question is, how and what will he re-surface?
I'll keep you posted as things develop......
This my report on Coda's Evaulation. Mine is written in white... The red is what Adam Hull wanted me to change. The blue is what he SUGGESTED (aka what HE WANTED me to say). Not only did he revise mine but he did the other evaluators as well. That will be left up to them if they wish to post. I'm jus posting mine. Please read all his SUGGESTIONS.. esp the one about Coda not knowing the origins of his styles he knows. the way Adam defends him, its like ADAM learned off the internet solely.. hmm...i could be wrong or maybe i'm not.. READ ON!! -tb.
Thad Brady, Shotokan Karate:
First off I would like to comment on his techniques and stances.
· His performance of such was weak. He didn’t know the proper names of stances. Also didn’t know what they were designed for, nor how to proper use them in certain situations and the effectiveness of one over another.
· Techniques were limited to roundhouse and side snap kicks. I didn’t see any front kicks. For self-proclaimed Black belt of 2nd Dan, there should have been more knowledge and usage of more than 3 techniques.
· If he was testing for 3rd Dan, he lacked sharpness, smoothness and NO power behind any of his techniques. Let’s leave this part out so as to not give Bullshito any more ammo to gossipe about. This is just a request is all..
· It was a weak performance, he displayed no proper hip rotation, nor did he incorporate any hip rotations in his techniques while performing katas. That is all I can comment, due to my limited knowledge of Tae Kwon Do and Kenpo.
· His techniques he displayed were not practically under any real situation. Looked as if was taken from a Jackie Chan movie. Again to personel and comes across more like an attack in stead of a neutral evaluation.
· If either gun or knife techniques were ever used outside of his dojo, I feel it could result in either injury or death of his student(s). Again as it has been stated not good for just stand alone techs, but they could get a student thinking verse just freezeing up.
· Needs more work and proper knowledge of both knife and gun self defense. Suggestion add “based off of what little techs he had time to demo for us.” :hitlerdan
· The techniques looked as if displayed "flashy" for the crowd. Looked as if shown in manner to give the crowd as "good show".
· On one of the non-weapon techniques shown, he attempted to look good yet it came out looking weak. He struggled as he tried to escape from a behind choke hold.
His knowledge of other styles of Martial Arts.
· Judo- He displayed no knowledge of throws. His students lacked proper knowledge of falling. His knowledge on proper setting of hands, feet, and hips was lacking.
· Jiu-Jitsu- He was limited to two arm bars. No proper execution of such. His techniques could be easily broken and escaped from.
· He lacked the origin of many of the styles he claimed to be studying. He needs to be serious in studying any style of Martial Arts. Note: not all instructors or students have indepth knowledge about the arts they teach or are learning. Most of my personal knowledge came from the internet and not from a learned person who could correct me if I was or am wrong. This comment could be worded better, but it is in Brady’s own words so keep it I guess. :hitlerdan
· Have better documentation of style and techniques he claims to possess or to be studying. I guess this is a slam towards his paper certificates, leave this out it has no place in this review. End of discussion. Adam Hull :hitlerdan
· He did display good control while sparring. But was his "control" based up on his lack of power? After reviewing the tape, he showed lack of power.
The overall review he DOES NOT possess knowledge of Black Belt. He posses the knowledge of a GREEN belt and nothing higher. He needs to use practical techniques over any aspects of Marital Arts, instead of being flashy or giving everyone around him a "good show". Suggestion maybe “change to equal to an intermediate level.”:hitlerdan
*Note: Being upon this review and being a Black Belt I have separated my personal feelings from my professional mind as I came into this review. Any personal feelings I had toward Coda Scott were "left at the door". My review was based upon seeing first hand his techniques.
I do believe that when he was given the chance to speak, he inappropriately pointed out 4 of the board members having a "personal vendetta" against him. This was uncalled for and was not appropriate for this event. This kind of action once again showed his lack of maturity for a "Black Belt"/ instructor.
I believe that any instructors that have been currently (2004-2006) promoted by either Coda and/or Gee Tanner should be reviewed. This is not part of the review and thus has no place in it, also this is not a witch hunt. There will always be good and not so good and bad instructors in all fields of study. So it is best instead of downing these people to lead by example what we each believe a mature black belt and instructor should be. Thank you for your review and your time. :hitlerdan
Hello all. I have some very upsetting news. I know we all expected this to happen sooner or later. I talked to person today that had won a drawing for free lessons from Scott's school. He went for a short time and got injured not once but twice on his leg. He ended up with a very large blood clot on his leg and had to have 2 surgeries on his leg to remove the blood clot. The medical bills are around $10,000.00 and he is not finished yet. He is thinking about talking to an attorney to see if he can sue the Combative Center and maybe even Body Works for the medical cost.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO