Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:18am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yet Another Coda Scott Nugget

Well Ladies and Gents, came across this piece of work from, guess who? That's right, the ole "Master" himself, Coda G. Scott, outta of Stillwater, OK. Interesting bit of reading, if you like fiction! Lifted from his myspace blog.......

Monday, March 26, 2007
    The meaing of Do, the Martial Arts as I see it
    Current mood: calm
    Category: Art and Photography

The meaning of True Martial Art

I began many years ago, for a person of only 21, 19 years dedicated to an idea, tradition and art begins to wear on the soul. As my education cultivates my mind I ask the meaning of my existence. I feel that we as a people spend so much time running from or suppressing our pain, but pain is what makes us who and what we are. It is the anvil on which life tempers ours souls though the compression and folding. Each time through we lose a few more impurities, for some it takes only a few times through the fire, for others like myself, it takes many. In the Dojo that I trained in, we did not have formal testing on a set day or time till the Rank of Shodan First degree Blackbelt, My Sensei felt that this put undue peruse on the student and that they would perform better without the pressure, Normally this is a Kung Fu practice, not really in keeping with Karate-do tradition but it works very well. Unfortunately the other Karateka earned their blue belts one night during class and I did not. I said "Hanshi, why did I fail? I preformed my Kata and my Goshinjutsu with power, how is that I failed" he answered "Mr. Scott, how far is infinity?' I answered I do not know Hanshi" he replied with a twinkle in his eye "when you know the answer you will also know why you failed". So for 7 months I trained and preformed harder than ever before but still No Blue belt, I worked hard and saw others get promotions 4 times and I "failed" each time until one day, while I was in the tea garden practicing my Kata, Hanshi asked me to come and sit with him. I sat down and poured some tea for the both of us, after we drank and I calmed down from the workout, Hanshi said let me pour you some more, as he did he filled my cup to much, it ran over the top. He asked me about the significance of this act. I told him that it was significant of the question he asked any potential student when they applied to enter the dojo as a student. The question originally coined by Bruce Lee's philosophy teacher who said "the value of a tea cup is it emptiness". Hanshi asked that question to all his students then, and I ask it today to all the new students coming into my dojo. But this time he said "Mr. Scott, you were empty and now you are to full." Just then the light came on and I realized why I had failed five times in a row. He finished by asking if I had discovered the meaning of infinity, I told him "infinity is really just chaos, uncertainty and over thinking" This was tutelage in the way of Fudoshin which means having a calm spirit and an immovable mind. I was "trying to hard" to be promoted and this was Mr. Stanford's way of teaching me "Mushin" which means "No mind" a reaction from instinctive knowledge not repetition. A few weeks later I received my Blue belt 4th Kyu, and only 8 months later I received my Brown belt 2nd Kyu!

Today, men and women train in Do (the way) through many styles. I see so many today, even in my lifetime there a new ones come up almost everyday* but it does not matter what style you do as long as you have good omotewaza, (basics) you have an instructor who teaches peace always over violence, and an open heart ready to grow. As Funkanoshi wrote "Karate must begin and end with Rei (respect)" (and FYI what happens between the Bowing is simple, they strike at you, you do your stuff according to your Do, and they lose)

In closing, We live in a world of wonders, both natural and artificial. Martial Do is about creating and preserving inner peace. Developing self so that peace can not be broken. However, Do not become insulted at words, do strike because of words, and always let ignorance have the path, just step aside because a fool will watch and listen only to himself or others and ignore his own footsteps, with out looking back to see where he has been or look forward to see where he is going. Then when he finds himself lost, only desperation or destruction with find him. Promote outer peace, but when your inner peace is disturbed, and there is no other way than to fight, remember the words of Ed Parker, "I have no weapons…Only Karate My Empty Hands…but should it be a mater of life…death…or honor, then here is my weapons, Karate My Empty Hands"

C. Scott

Nidan (Second Degree Blackbelt)

Head Sensei

True Power Martial Arts Academy

FOREVER-NO MATTER WHAT.

THE GIANT HAS AWOKE...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:55am

Style: Unemployed Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! I'm truly blown away.

P.S. Can someone please tell him that the adjective "too" is not spelled "to" !!!!

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 8:05am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So i wonder how old he was when all this happened?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 8:31am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "while I was in the tea garden practicing my Kata, Hanshi asked me to come and sit with him. I sat down and poured some tea for the both of us, after we drank and I calmed down from the workout, Hanshi said let me pour you some more, as he did he filled my cup to much, it ran over the top."

Fuckin' profound if you ask me.....

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was fucking stupid.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Mr. Scott, you were empty and now you are to full."

Yeah. We all know what Mr. Scott is full of..... Lard and sh-t.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. It’s the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 11:42am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oi. Welcome to LarpDome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ+MT Former Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like something you would hear/see in a Saturday morning kung fu cartoon, which he probably stole it from.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. When is someone going to whoop his sorry ass.

Well at least Australia has the second coming of Coda. I'm glad the US isn't the only one with an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:02pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tea garden? where? in oklahoma?
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast