Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

new workout...help

this is what i made so far

I am 15, 6 ft1, around a little under 160 like 158. i box.
    mon
    3x5 squat
    3x5 bench or overhead press
    3x max chinups
    3x3 min of sprints every 20 seconds for 40 yards. work up to 3x5
    tues: box with trainer
    weds
    3x5 squat
    1x5 deadlift
    thurs box with trainer
    friday
    3x5 squat
    3x max pullups
    sat
    box with trainer

i do yoga everymorning and i do dynamic stretches before each workout and static after.

should i box by myself on mon weds and fri? if so what should that look like? hows the cardio? and if u have any comments on anything i should add or remove please tell me.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squat and bench 3x a week means you aren't lifting heavy enough to get stonger I would assume and could lead to overtraining. Don't squat/deadlift on the same day. You are weight training, so add weight to your pullups with a belt. ALso work the other motion of your back with rows.

Mon: Squat, Bench, Row
    Wed: Bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, burpees etc.)
    Fri: Overhead, Weighted Pullup, Deadlift

I can't see how you can lift 3x a week, box, and do the other stuff, so I say lift 2x a week hitting every major muscle group and fill Wed. in with something else like bodyweight exercises.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold up there LI... if he's fairly new to lifting 3x a week is fine. Looks like the beginner part of rippetoes 5x5. But yeah once he stops making gains, a weekly peroidisation dealie would be better.

@ danny: You're missing a *HUGE* thing in your post. So big you probably don't realise it. What's your goal? Lifting without a goal is like driving without a destination - you may get somewhere, but you probably not where you want.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I guess but Squat 3x a week? Seems weird to me. I also just prefer 2x lifting a week with a 3rd day (if I ever get it) to do stuff I don't normally do like Oly and small group.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Hold up there LI... if he's fairly new to lifting 3x a week is fine. Looks like the beginner part of rippetoes 5x5. But yeah once he stops making gains, a weekly peroidisation dealie would be better.

@ danny: You're missing a *HUGE* thing in your post. So big you probably don't realise it. What's your goal? Lifting without a goal is like driving without a destination - you may get somewhere, but you probably not where you want.
    yah its mark rippetoes new begginer routine. my goal is basically to become stronger and more conditioned for boxing. yah once i stop making gains i will switch up the routine. what do you guys think of my cardio routine? or should i change it up? and should i box on the days i lift?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ LI - the theory is that newb lifters can't workout hard enough to casue much stress. Recovery is then a matter of a day or so. Once you're past that, you start getting into weekly peroidisation with light/speed days and heavy days and all that.

@ danny - You are a beginner. Really, nearly anything will work since anything is an improvement on nothing. So the "best" workout is the one you do consistantly. Still, the above is a pretty solid plan so do that workout consistantly. Also eat right, consistantly. Go to your class consistantly. Rest consistantly.

Notice a theme?

Watch out for over-training, but you're young and if you rest and eat right you should be ok. Don't add or change anything for at least 6 months. Reevaluate then.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is the cardio good? i always had bad cardio and have no idea what are some good cardio excercises? also can i box 6 days a week? and sunday will be 100% rest?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright. how many days a week should i box? and someone told me i should do cardio before my lifts and then immediatly do my lifts and do them in a circuit. is that a good idea?