Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 6:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    Clearly, he's qualified to comment on ALL forms of kempo/kenpo because he's trained at one dojo teaching one style of kempo/kenpo.
    From what I had been told from my school, Parker and Tracy Kenpo are very similar, that's just what I've been taught. I'll take back what I've said about Chinese Kenpo and the Japanese forms of Kenpo, but im pretty sure Chinese Kenpo isn't respected much within the Kenpo community. And as far as mentioning KenpoFist and "others", all I said is that you can read some of their posts and see what they've had to say. And lastly, it does matter what martial art you train in, as well as how alive your training is. You can train Mantis Kung-Fu or whatever as hard as you want, XMA too, but if the art doesn't have the right matierals then it won't work.
    I just had a bad Kenpo LARPing experience, and I'm i've read from others that Kenpo styles, along with others, are becoming more and more known for that.

Whatever, just my opinions, do whatever you want, I really don't care. :)

EDIT: And as far as Kajukenbo and Hawaiian Kempo go, I never claimed to know anything about Kajukenbo, but I've read that they're somehow related. And as far as Chuck Liddell goes, maybe he applies some kinds of Kenpo principles or something, I had a bad experience and learned nothing but techniques and forms straight from the book, nothing else, so I have no idea about that, but I am sure that I've never seen him pull a "Five swords" or "Thundering Rams" (American Kenpo) or anything remotely close to that in the UFC. However, I guess even thats up to debate amongst you all, I've only seen Chuck fight a couple of times on TV.
    Last edited by Christian_; 9/06/2007 6:49pm at .

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 3:45pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian_
    From what I had been told from my school, Parker and Tracy Kenpo are very similar, that's just what I've been taught. I'll take back what I've said about Chinese Kenpo and the Japanese forms of Kenpo, but im pretty sure Chinese Kenpo isn't respected much within the Kenpo community. And as far as mentioning KenpoFist and "others", all I said is that you can read some of their posts and see what they've had to say. And lastly, it does matter what martial art you train in, as well as how alive your training is. You can train Mantis Kung-Fu or whatever as hard as you want, XMA too, but if the art doesn't have the right matierals then it won't work.
    I just had a bad Kenpo LARPing experience, and I'm i've read from others that Kenpo styles, along with others, are becoming more and more known for that.

EDIT: And as far as Kajukenbo and Hawaiian Kempo go, I never claimed to know anything about Kajukenbo, but I've read that they're somehow related. And as far as Chuck Liddell goes, maybe he applies some kinds of Kenpo principles or something, I had a bad experience and learned nothing but techniques and forms straight from the book, nothing else, so I have no idea about that, but I am sure that I've never seen him pull a "Five swords" or "Thundering Rams" (American Kenpo) or anything remotely close to that in the UFC. However, I guess even thats up to debate amongst you all, I've only seen Chuck fight a couple of times on TV.
    Again, you clearly miss the point.

It's not that "Knee of Vengeance" or "Fang of the Cobra" are effective techniques.

These techniques are yellow belt basics in all Tracy schools, and yes, most styles of kenpo are extremely similar. I never said that Kenpo techniques are effective. It's the way you train.

There are kung fu schools that train in an alive manner. There are Kenpo schools that train in an alive manner (such as The Pit). There are karate schools that train in an alive manner. It goes on and on.

Only because the forms, katas, or 'techniques' suck doesn't mean that the entire martial art sucks. Sure, the forms or whatever your want to call it might suck. On the other hand, if you visit a good dojo, they will teach you how to spar, how to drill, and what actually works in a fight.

It's not about the techniques.

Hawaiian Kempo and most Kajukenbo schools train in an extremely alive manner. That's why Kajukenbo is oftentimes respected. That's why Hawaiian Kempo produces a lot of impressive MMA fighters.

Any school, even American Kenpo schools, have the possibility of being good. They just have to focus on training in an alive manner.

As for "what others have said..." You've referred previously to KempoFist's critique of ke?po.

I dunno why. Because from what I've read, he says the exact same thing that I do. He says that most Kenpo schools don't train in an alive manner, and that's why they suck. However, it doesn't mean that all of Kenpo sucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2007 3:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian_
    From what I had been told from my school, Parker and Tracy Kenpo are very similar, that's just what I've been taught.
    Never a good basis for arguing your point.
    Of course you do care. You wouldn't edit posts and keep logging in to bullshido.

Many people have had bad experiences with <insert old school art> you have to remember to qualify the remark.

I took shitty kempo.
    I know some good fighters who do Kempo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    Again, you clearly miss the point.

It's not that "Knee of Vengeance" or "Fang of the Cobra" are effective techniques.

These techniques are yellow belt basics in all Tracy schools, and yes, most styles of kenpo are extremely similar. I never said that Kenpo techniques are effective. It's the way you train.

There are kung fu schools that train in an alive manner. There are Kenpo schools that train in an alive manner (such as The Pit). There are karate schools that train in an alive manner. It goes on and on.

Only because the forms, katas, or 'techniques' suck doesn't mean that the entire martial art sucks. Sure, the forms or whatever your want to call it might suck. On the other hand, if you visit a good dojo, they will teach you how to spar, how to drill, and what actually works in a fight.

It's not about the techniques.

Hawaiian Kempo and most Kajukenbo schools train in an extremely alive manner. That's why Kajukenbo is oftentimes respected. That's why Hawaiian Kempo produces a lot of impressive MMA fighters.

Any school, even American Kenpo schools, have the possibility of being good. They just have to focus on training in an alive manner.

As for "what others have said..." You've referred previously to KempoFist's critique of ke?po.

I dunno why. Because from what I've read, he says the exact same thing that I do. He says that most Kenpo schools don't train in an alive manner, and that's why they suck. However, it doesn't mean that all of Kenpo sucks.
    Ok, I'll let you have it. Good point, you beat me. :)

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I <3 you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta tell people something, after buying Chief Adrian Roman's DVD's, I am NOT impressed with his skills or his method of teaching. He seems lost at several parts of these instructional DVD's. Because of prior training in Kenpo I was able to figure out a most of it. The Chief has got to be the worst 8th degree black belt I've ever seen, weak stances, technique mistakes everywhere, not to mention all the camera mistakes. All I can say is if he can become a master anybody can!!:sad3:
    Last edited by pama42; 10/17/2007 11:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:49pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    I gotta tell people something, after buying Chief Adrian Roman's DVD's, I am NOT impressed with his skills or his method of teaching. He seems lost at several parts of these instructional DVD's. Because of prior training in Kenpo I was able to figure out a most of it. The Chief has got to be the worst 8th degree black belt I've ever seen, weak stances, technique mistakes everywhere, not to mention all the camera mistakes. All I can say is if he can become a master anybody can!!:sad3:
    Roman accomplished what ALL the video trainers want. To get your money.
    If they really cared about the quality of their martial arts, they wouldn't be selling mail order videos and rank certificates.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes he did, but he won't do again and if I can prevent someone else from making the same mistake, hey that's great. I did get something from it anyway because of my prior training I was able to figure it out.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 4:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did the discussion even turn to Chief Adrian Roman?

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 12:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu and Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok...at the risk of getting burned at the stake here for being a noob and this being my very 1st post...here goes.

There is just NO WAY to take a home study course and learn any level of proficiency in any martial art. Anyone who has spent 1 hour in a dojo learning technique and any sparring can tell you seeing is not the same as doing. Just becasuse I've seen every Bruce Lee movie doesnt mean Im a jeet kune do master or even a student. You can't feel a technique, see how to position your feet, hands and most importantly you can't feel a technique on different body types...So if this is your only exposure to martial science/art....beware, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Now, if you just want to pick up the differences in this style, and have a solid background...it MIGHT be worth your time...but you could do that with a good book too.

Ok...now you folks can flog me....Im ready:wrestlerb
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast