Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:28pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    Matt Hamilton's gym looks good based on the website. Do you know who awarded Hamilton and Dring their BJJ black belts?
    No idea, I just sent him an email to ask.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems their BJJ ranks must come from here(at least the Dring club): http://www.novauniao.com.br/ But, I can't read it. Can anyone comment on this coach or how ranks may be passed to these american clubs?

This Weeping JJ/TKD club (the focus of the original thread) is affiliated with Jacare/Alliance: http://www.tkdsites.us/ima/index.cfm The problem there was this guy teaching BJJ as a white belt.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 8/14/2007 4:44pm at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You beat me to it...I was going to e-mail him as well. I look forward to his comments.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW: this is the original thread of which this one spins off:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58664

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems their BJJ ranks must come from here(at least the Dring club): http://www.novauniao.com.br/ But, I can't read it. Can anyone comment on this coach or how ranks may be passed to these american clubs?
    My understanding is that the Nova Uniao ranks in the US come from the group of Black Belts around BJ Penn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 5:06pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Hamilton's gym looks good based on the website. Do you know who awarded Hamilton and Dring their BJJ black belts?

I suppose, assuming LMDA is legit, the question is...what goes into their handing out of belts to these other instructors?
    http://f3.yahoofs.com/blog/447bceeez...oaiwGBXZ6MReuD

Toni Emmanuel (sp?) was advertised as the head BJJ instructor at LDMA for a long time. Im not exactly sure when he left, but i remember seeing advertisements in the late nineties with Toni listed as head instructor. I believe Matt got his black belt around the time i first started flirting with bjj about two years ago. Im not sure about Danny, though.

Toni is affiliated with Nova Uniao, and Matt's gym was dropped from Nova Uniao around February for some sort of political reasons concerning the two gyms.

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 6:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been some interesting issues posted on here and since my name has been brought in to the picture, I am glad to respond.
    First: Berl Parsons was not a "CIA Operative" and that is wrong wherever written. Weeping Style JuJutsu is an art form that is, I feel, more effective than Hapkido or Hanmudo (Koren forms of joint locks). This is not what most would consider a basterdized art for rank and does not have many students who have actually received black belts. It does have an effective methodolgy that can be applied towards any art form. I find it quite amazing that some critize this or any art without doing it first. Some post were obviously made from people in Little Rock and highly encourage them to attend one of Mr. Dring's classes BEFORE making uneducated comments in this area. Additionally, nobody who trains in this art form will ever claim it to be the "best" or a means-to-an-end with training. It is simply another form they use to cross-train. I would expect many people in martial arts would not have a problem with the idea of cross training.

Second: Both Mr. Dring and Mr. Hamilton received their black belt in BJJ in Brazil under Tony Emanuel with Nova Uniao. Both of these gentlemen are excellent martial artists and legitimately received their rank. Additionally, both have received rank under Mr. Joe Lewis in kickboxing. I think Mr. Hamilton is a 4th Degree & Mr. Dring a 6th Degree; both have received numerous recognitions from Mr. Lewis for this contributions to the fight community.

Third: Yes, these two have parted ways and their relationship is at an impass. Where this is a sad situation, comments from outside parties are not necessary. You will not find any post ANYWHERE on the web where Mr. Dring speaks negatively about Mr. Hamilton or his program. I am a student of Mr. Dring and do hope that one day their relationship will gain better ground. Only time can heal wounds and until that time, it's best for all to move forward.

Fourth: Unless you know Mr. Dring or have trained with him, you have no room to speak on his creditibility. He does have rank in several arts and accomplished more than your average martial arts instructor. As far as MMA goes, this man has been putting on amateur MMA shows since 1996 (or around then); held the first pro MMA show in Arkansas; produced numerous professional & amateur MMA fighters; holds a seat on Arkansas Athletic Commission; currently has a Kickboxer on the WCL; just came back from the IKF Nationals where 5 fighters brought back title belts; and the list can go on.

Fifth: To state "his gym has gone down" is actaully the opposite. He currently has a black belt from Brazil working in his school; takes his & student's training to the MAX everyday; completely renovated the school within the past year; and currently organizing a network of martial arts schools to do business professionally.

The reference to "Dragons" program and McBelt is obviously directed towards my program. Before you start condeming me or my program, then I highly recommend you contacting me first instead of posting on a thread. You know nothing about the referenced kids program or anything taught. I have been doing martial arts for many years and cross-train; I do have rank in Weeping JuJutsu / TKD / BJJ / and KB; DO NOT fabricate anything I teach in ANY program; and feel I have tested for each rank with credibility. I DO NOT claim to be "great" or "spectatular" as a martial artists; do realize there are many out there better than me in all arts; and do train daily because I love doing martial arts and want to be better. I am young at training fighters, but have good mentors to help guide me and my students. Slam me for my abilities all day long, but do not attempt to slander my business or their ethics. Your references in this area are highly uneducated and have no merit.

If you really want to know more about the Weeping JuJutsu, then it is recommended for you to contact Mr. Dring and attend a class or seminar. Some of you have obviously looked on web pages and can see contact numbers. Wouldn't it be easier & smarter for you to call and ask these questions instead of posting threads? Because you haven't called or taken a class should let EVERYONE know the true answers to why you are posting.
    Last edited by HighPoint; 8/14/2007 6:26pm at .

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High Point,

Thank you for the well thought out and mature post.

Can we drop these guys as a subject now? I am voting legit.

Edited to add: I still think its a goofy translation, why didnt you stick with the original Japanese?

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 8:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good question about the actual name. I met Mr. Parsons and Mr. Dring in the early 90's and started training with them in this art. Hell, what's in a name anyways? However, the name does have a meaning & it's not necessarily due to "crying". What should really be considered is the fact that someone is at least training. I, along with several other students in the art, have worked out with other similar arts and just not as impressed with what they were teaching. Predominately, it comes down to what you like in your training - "to each his own".
    Last edited by HighPoint; 8/14/2007 9:38pm at .

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPoint
    Predominately, it comes down to what you like in your training - "to each his own".
    Actually, I disagree with you there.

There are so called "Martial arts" that completely suck and and instructors that abuse their students. These need to be rooted out tree and branch and be put to the torch.

I do not think you are one of those.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast