Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the only good thing ever to come out of France... they even tried to gay it up using unitards (of all colours except white, they keep all white cloth for making flags in case they have to go to war), but to no avail.

I don't get the shoe-wearing thing, though... do you guys train in shoes?
    Also, do you train with la canne or baton? Or is it just the unarmed stuff?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since it's on topic, sort of:

I'll be in France for the next three weeks, and am interested in checking out some Savate clubs, if anyone has any good tips. I'll be in Marsielle for a bit, Montpellier for work Aug. 25-31, and in Paris for a few days after that. Thanks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101

I don't get the shoe-wearing thing, though... do you guys train in shoes?
    Also, do you train with la canne or baton? Or is it just the unarmed stuff?
    Yup, shoes it is. Some use shin guards too, since coup de pied bas to shin can be a really bitch. La canne and baton depends on club. We had few weekend training camps in la canne, but our ceiling is too low to practice.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    Since it's on topic, sort of:

I'll be in France for the next three weeks, and am interested in checking out some Savate clubs, if anyone has any good tips. I'll be in Marsielle for a bit, Montpellier for work Aug. 25-31, and in Paris for a few days after that. Thanks.
    Keep us informed on how it goes.

Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rubberduck, Asia and Joe... How does kicking with the toe work? Pointed like in ballet and you rely on the shoe to protect them? Ball of the foot? (That's how we did a lot of kicks, including a roundhouse, when I did ITF TKD.) Do they ever fight/train in bare feet and if so how does that change the kicking? Are the kicks thrown more like Thai kicks, or more snappy and chambered like TKD? (Looks more like Thai.)

That vid didn't really look too bad for NON CONTACT sparring. I'm just surprised they'd do non contact sparring. Why?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    That vid didn't really look too bad for NON CONTACT sparring. I'm just surprised they'd do non contact sparring. Why?
    They've got a progression of competition levels, which starts with weak-ass point sparring (Assault), through full-contact with gear (Pre-Combat) and ends with 'proper' savate (Combat). They're all about easing people into it.

Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually okay sounding, Point. Nothing wrong with progression, as long as it's heaeded in the right direction, which it seems to be.

and good morning to you too supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Vega do savat?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along with Assaut and Combat they've also got Savate Defense, which is the self defense aspect of Savate.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...vate+defense+-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Rubberduck, Asia and Joe... How does kicking with the toe work? Pointed like in ballet and you rely on the shoe to protect them? Ball of the foot? (That's how we did a lot of kicks, including a roundhouse, when I did ITF TKD.) Do they ever fight/train in bare feet and if so how does that change the kicking? Are the kicks thrown more like Thai kicks, or more snappy and chambered like TKD? (Looks more like Thai.)

If memory serves a lot of the toe kicks came from when the French used to walk around in pointed steel toed shoes. Ouch!

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last