Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 12:01pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    How long does one usually train for before the first amateur fight.
    Let's say you've trained in Kung Fu for 4 years, done BJJ for 4 months, done Muay Thai for 2 months, after how much training should you take an amateur fight? Couple years, couple months? How serious are these amateur fights? Are they used just as a tool to measure your progress or to prove yourself?
    There is no definite answer. It boils down to the individual. There are some people who are up to speed and ready to fight in a short amount of time, others may take years and STILL not be ready to get in the ring. If you twisted my arm to give you an "average" training duration before fighting, I'd say a little over a year.

Now, as far as how serious these things are, again, the answers vary. If you are thinking of fighting as just a way of testing or measuring yourself, you have to bear in mind that the guy across the ring from you may or may not have the same motivation as you. There are some people who only want to get in the ring as a way to test themselves.... to be able to say that they'd gotten in there and done it.

Then there are other people who are very serious about fighting. They are in there preparing themselves for a career as a fighter. They won't care that you are just "trying it out".... they're going to come in there to hurt you.

And of course, there is an entire spectrum between these two extremes.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 3:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some people who only want to get in the ring as a way to test themselves.... to be able to say that they'd gotten in there and done it
    Tru that. There is a wide spectrum. However, as a coach, I have decided not to train these folks for fights. You know Brooks, that training a guy for a fight takes LOTS of time, energy, and work from the coach. I have come to the place where I don't want to invest that time for one shot deal guys. They often fizzle after their 15 minutes of fame.

I am not against testing one's self like that, but for me, as a coach, I want to put the time into guys who are serious about fighting and who are not going to quit after one fight which may not have been what they expected.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123