Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How long before first amateur fight?

How long does one usually train for before the first amateur fight.
    Let's say you've trained in Kung Fu for 4 years, done BJJ for 4 months, done Muay Thai for 2 months, after how much training should you take an amateur fight? Couple years, couple months? How serious are these amateur fights? Are they used just as a tool to measure your progress or to prove yourself?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take one whenever you feel confident in your abilities. If you go in and you're not as prepared as you think you were the worse that's going to happen is you get your ass beat, then you go back to the gym and train more. You might also want to ask your coach if your ready. I took my first fight after about a year of muay thai.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 6:08pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go into the ring/cage and you realize you are not ready, jump out of the ring and run out of the building, or start banging on the cage door and scream until the open it, then run out the building. You might look like a *****, but you won't get hurt that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 7:16pm

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your opponent turns out to be really big, you can always shoot your web at the top of the cage and slingshot out of his reach.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 7:42pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would wait at least a year. I had my first kickboxing fight after only 6 mos., and I felt kind of lost. I didn't even know how to throw a left hook, and now its my best punch.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KidS has had the best advice so far. Just get in there when you and your coach think you are ready. I want to take an MMA fight in the not to distant future, but I'm currently weighing in about 235. I feel I'm almost there skill wise (a year minus 2 months to illness), however there's not way in hell I'm competing at heavyweight. So I'm going to drop about 30 lbs over the next few months and hopefully take a fight at the beginning of the new year. You, however, may be ready much sooner. So just talk with your coach about it.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:12pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an ammy fight......... The worst that'll happen is you lose. Learn from your loss. Or you win and let that confidence fuel your training.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 11:43pm

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    If you go into the ring/cage and you realize you are not ready, jump out of the ring and run out of the building, or start banging on the cage door and scream until the open it, then run out the building. You might look like a *****, but you won't get hurt that way.
    LMAO, that is hilarious, I can see it, banging on the cage door. wipes tears of laughter away.

As for when you have your first fight, my advice straight away, when you start playing football, you don't train for a year or two before you get your first game.

Just make sure two things,

1. spar lots before you sign up for the fight, if you don't feel good sparring you will feel even worse in the ring.

2. make Sure your opponent is a similar skill level, you don't want to get served up as a soupcan to a monster and then get injured.

Don't worry about your win loss when you start, for every fight someone gets the W and someone gets the L. Besides once you go Pro they start your record over, then you start worrying about a win every time.

The fighting is the fun part. Go get you some.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that in Jr High School (7th grade) I joined tghge wrestling team. 7th grade is the first year you can start wrestling in grade school and it was very uncommon for anyone to have any prior training.

We had our first meet (school vs school comp) after like 2 months. So just compete whenever you feel good. Remember though that the schools we faced only had 2 months to train also, so make sure you are matched up skill wise.

Or just do a smoker and it won't count on your record.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 1:56am

Style: Man-ho Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Or just do a smoker and it won't count on your record.
    Do a what?

Isn't doing that what got Diaz banned after he legitimately beat Gomi, :P
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast